Worlds biggest Vintage-meeting!

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Re: Worlds biggest Vintage-meeting!

Post by Chewbacca »

Hey you guies talking like THIS September??

Then I will not be able to come just booked my summer vacation in Greece, first 2 weeks of september. :(
*** POWDER - KING ***

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Oregon is nice too.

I like the Cali idea. Perhaps Mike or Roger would want to play with us.

Travel could prove to be difficult, but I think it would be fun. Perhaps even a vintage "chapter" for ROAR w/ rule etc. Mild motors and no brushless. moder tires are probably appropriate.

MOmo

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

I think there should not be too many regulations. A minimum age (like pre-1994 models) is neccessary but especially tyres should be open. Restrictions on motors (like 27 Turns or 19 Turns with six Sub-C cells) would be ok too but that should be about it. Maybe Ed can explain the rules of the "Yatabe Offroad Vintage Race" as an example as they seem to make sense.

Just my two cents.

Seb
"The things you own, they end up owning you."

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Guys, input is cool and probably spot-on, but I'm pretty sure the ball is rolling already on a lot of the major components to the event. ;)

Seriously, just hang tight. Something is already in the works. :D

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Eau Rouge wrote:Seriously, just hang tight. Something is already in the works. :D
And that is the most important part of it! :D
"The things you own, they end up owning you."

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Its great news to hear others around the globe puting on vintage buggy events like this. I am part of a group of guys over here in Australia who have been supporting the vintage scene here. In 8 weeks we'll be racing again in the 2nd annual Sydney/Ryde vintage race meeting. Its good to have some differnet classes and the cap off date should be around the 1990 mark though.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

scr8p wrote:
Tadracket wrote:
scr8p wrote:sweet. :)

i'll be there to bring up the rear of the H-main. :wink: :P
You'll have to fight me for that place. :lol:
nuh ugh, you'll be in the rookie class. :P :P :P
I am Disturbed by your comments, Stricken with sorry and anger. :lol:
What did your weekend playlist look like? I missed it.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Is there going to be much warning about this? Or will it be like, it's happening next month?

The more warning the better I say...

acerpower1
Approved Member

Post by acerpower1 »

a vintage meeting would be sweet! if it's in CT i'm definitely there. :shock:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Tadracket wrote:What did your weekend playlist look like? I missed it.
i forgot to change it. :lol:

new one after work. :wink:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

An East and West race was a thought leading up to the Nationals... i think maybe if things turn out well it could be put in the works for the future. Perhaps a "Vintage Pro Series" of sorts.

Well while i'm still working on a new date and venue (lost my original one to the bad economy and some cranky neighbors) here's a few more details:

Classes: all classes limited to cars released 1994 or earlier... I'll have a more specific list that can be added to as we go
- 2wd
- 4wd
- Stadium Truck
- Heavy Metal (monster truck)
- Classic (Tamiya, Mauri and all "non-pro" kits)

Electronics will be open to anything old or modern (i'd recommend modern for reliability's sake) and for right now I'm going to keep it to ROAR legal stock motors and brushless stock motors. I am looking into a handout motor but we'll have to see.

*Lipo is also allowed under ROAR rules with it said that we're not trying to set a landspeed record here but see some pretty cool old cars run. I'm a fan of Lipo and brushless because it makes things very easy to have a good time and thats the main idea. If you'd prefer running Nimh or even NiCD thats fine... i just want to leave this open to whomever is intersted in having a great weekend.

Concours- There will be a judged concours with a few different classes... best paint, most authentic, and a few others. What I'd hate to see is someone spectacular shelf queen get run on the track or worse... broken, so ALL are welcome to join the concours event as well... its free.

There will be door prizes, shirts, and maybe a surprise or two *wink wink.

As of right now, whichever weekend it ends up on (I'm aiming for Sept 5th-7th), the schedule will be open track friday, open practice saturday until 2pm, controlled practice by class from 2pm-8pm, and 3 rounds of qualifying and mains on sunday. Of course this is subject to change depending on the track owner but thats my goal.

A site will be up in the next few weeks for the race and keep an eye out in RC Driver Magazine for the entry form. RC Driver will be there (not me) to cover the race and I'm working with a few other magazines to see who can be there as well.

Looking forward to seeing you all there in September! Will be a great time sharing some R/C history for sure and there is NO nicer time of year in New England then September!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

That sounds awesome. I've already floated the idea a bit with the wife, and she seems ok with it, I'm sure it will cost me though :lol:
Keep us posted on the date situation, I'm scheduled to work that weekend, but don't want to look for coverage if the date may change,
Thanks for the work on this.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Yea, Def. sounds like a great idea.

In keeping w/ the spirit of Vintage, i think brushed motor vs BL, but we'll see.

Im not sure about travel/fliying etc. namely $$ and family, but i would LOVE to have something happen. I'll be motivated to get a couple of cars done thats for sure.

MOmo

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

As much as I would love to have cars running vintage electronics and everything, it's not a realistic expectation. My vintage electronics, even the new stuff, is infinitely inferior to the stuff out today. A Novak brushless system with a 17.5 mated to a LiPo pack is a perfect mate to vintage race cars, IMO.

If I am able to make this event, my race cars will all be outfitted with that combo if they are allowed, for sure.

IMO, a more pressing rule/issue would be a tire/wheel rule. Period correct tires/wheel sizes and compounds or will current/softer/larger tires with inserts be allowed? An old RC10 with a nice set of sticky red Losis or Pro-Line M3s on it now is a VERY different car than it would be on 1988 Schumacher pin spikes.

Just wondering out loud. How far do you want to take the vintage racing concept?

doug

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

Sounds awesome Erich! I was wondering about tires too. How about leaving tire choice open so people can run whatever they have, new or old, but just limit size to a MAX 2.2in rim and proper buggy tire for buggies and truck tires for trucks.
Old school racing all the way!