HG-P407 "Bruiser Clone" Arrived Today!

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: HG-P407 "Bruiser Clone" Arrived Today!

Post by Basher67 »

I installed some 2 stage foam inserts today from Crawler Inovations. Prolines come with nice memory foam inserts, but on a heavy truck (Mine weighs in at 8 lb.-6 oz), they are the equivilent of having 4 flat tires. With the stock foams , the truck is pretty much riding on the rim while running on a side hill. The 2 stage foams are a big imrovement. The tread section of the tire is still nice a flexible, but the sidewalls don't just collapse. At the same side angle, they now ride on the sidewall lugs. The pics here really show the difference of the two different foams performance.
Attachments
DSC00227.JPG
DSC00230.JPG
DSC00228.JPG
DSC00231.JPG
DSC00229.JPG

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

Finally got registered :) Look forward to sharing ideas. Here's mine prior to few ongoing modifications (bought full bearing kit, but it was missing 3 bearings, so I am waiting on replacements to complete the bearing swap). As pictured, I have front servo mod, changed out to Austar (Hyrax clone) tires, shocks modified using Dennis Dempsey's method, removed small leaf springs from all 4 corners, chino mod, hobbywing 1080 esc, Flysky GT3B and receiver, and light kit installed. I am in the process of removing the cab and installing a rollbar, painting the interior with figure, full bearing change, and adding AMPRO Engineering's front wheel spacer. At some point I need to do something about the wheels as I would like to go smaller 1.9 wheels and add some weight to the front.
HG P407-04.jpg
HG P407-07.jpg
HG P407-10.jpg
IMG_6958.JPG

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

Any thoughts on how to add some weight bias to the front? I would love to relocate the battery to the front like this, and maybe add some weights to the wheel area.
enduro battery.jpg
enduro battery.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
enduro battery.jpg
enduro battery.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Looks good. Sounds like you have all the most popular mods covered. I haven't considered forward battery placement yet but its not a bad idea. Definitely a popular mod for many models in the crawler scene. I haven't done anything to mine in a couple weeks. Too many projects going on at once.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

One of the easiest tricks is to get stick on alloy wheel weights for real cars and wrap them around the wheel inside the tire , you can get exactly the same stick on weights for rc cars but at a far higher price !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

Dadio wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:38 am One of the easiest tricks is to get stick on alloy wheel weights for real cars and wrap them around the wheel inside the tire , you can get exactly the same stick on weights for rc cars but at a far higher price !
Yup, I have them. I had just glued on my tires, so I haven't installed them though. Still debating on going to 1.9" tires and going a bit smaller on the tires, which means that I have to look for RC4WD 12mm conversion kit, and new set of beadlock wheels and tires. Just debating if I want to spend more money on the P407 when I have other RC's that are more crawl worthy.

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

Finally got the parts that I needed to fix up my P407. While replacing the broken axle and knuckle, I decided to replace all the bearings with Fast Eddy bearings. For the most part, the bearings were (thankfully) still in good shape. Also made some additional modifications: 1) removed the cab and added a rollbar, 2) painted the interior and added a figure, 3) added front wheel spacer from AMPRO Engineering to correct the width of tires.

I was able to take it out for a quick test run and a short photoshoot after work today. I am really liking the tire stance now. Additionally one of the benefit of the front spacers was that it alleviated tire rub on the leaf springs when doing a hard left turn under load. There is still a very minor tire rub with back end of wheel well under load though. One thing that is still lacking is low front end weight. On steep climbs, the front lifts too much and it does not provide traction. At some point, I might have to replace the tire/wheel combo and go with 1.9s and add some weight to them.
Attachments
IMG_6983.JPG
IMG-6946.JPG
IMG_6980.JPG
IMG_6978.JPG
IMG_6970.JPG

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I 3d printed a set of 1.9" wheels that I found on Thingiverse , completely solved the rubbing but did reduce the ground clearance slightly .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

I uploaded couple of running videos on youtube:
1st - trail run - https://youtu.be/Kj_Gn3-H5Ig Starting at 1:06, I inserted a rock crawling section. To the right side of the rock, there was 20 foot drop, so I was being a bit careful though.
2nd - creek trail run - https://youtu.be/6ksZkb5-bS4

I think I am finally settled on the steering configuration. Now to figure out how to move weight bias a bit to the front as the added weight to the front will improve the traction.
Mod - front steering.jpg

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Nice videos. The truck is looking good.

BigSung

Post by BigSung »

Basher67 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 pm Nice videos. The truck is looking good.
Thank you. I am still planning to make few minor updates to the truck like adding inner fenders for the front and maybe paint the front bumper to black. The fun part of the hobby for me is personalizing the truck.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I just dont have the time to read all 22 pages....so can someone tell me if this shaft set from the clone work with the rere tamiya tranny?
20200225_162056.jpg
Also, will a complete p407 tranny drop right in the rere mountain rider/btruiser chassis?
My apologies if this topics been covered
Thanks
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:27 pm I just dont have the time to read all 22 pages....so can someone tell me if this shaft set from the clone work with the rere tamiya tranny?

20200225_162056.jpg

Also, will a complete p407 tranny drop right in the rere mountain rider/btruiser chassis?
My apologies if this topics been covered
Thanks
I'm not an expert and I've not actually tried to swap gears but the problem with using HG P407 gears in a Tamiya re-re is the shape of the drive dogs. They're hexagonal in P407 and a proprietary convoluted shape in the Tamiya. It might work if you also had the planetary gear.
However, I believe the complete tranny assembly will interchanged between the two models because it doesn't appear that HG has alter the mounts.
Hope this is helpful.
Bruiser Clutch vs HG-P407 input shaft assembly.jpg
Bruiser rere tranny mounting.JPG
Doug

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

It does, thanks!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Building a NIB Mountain Rider (Tamiya Mountaineer rere) .....the guy wants these old school wheels:
20200226_134122.jpg
They are 12mm hex, so i can by adapter which will stick the wheel out or wait on the axle conversion from rc4wd....but they said 6 to 8 weeks minimum

Last set for now so i scored the wheels. They are 1.55 diameter. Going for this look:
20200226_134354.jpg
Thats the "Outlaw ll" from Friday the 13th part 2.

Anyway, i have looked but just cant find the right tire. I would like them at least 4" tall and 1.75" minimum width.
Any recommendations? Yes i know this is a p407 thread and figured u guys would be most helpful. Move it to Tamiya forum if this isnt allowed
Thanks