2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-19TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by Erich Reichert »

Wow a post that's finally proportional to the size of my signature!!!! NOW I feel accomplished! :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

geez dude, i don't think i typed that much all of last year. :lol:

i had a thought on what brandon had mentioned:

I thought about the whole OLD SCHOOL buggy class a bit and let me throw this out there:
Throw them in the classic class. BUT make the rules more stringent, which would require a "Tech inspection" of the cars before signing up in the class.
Leave the rules alone for the non-race type 2wd buggies. Run whatever you want with the limitation of motor wind. (Frogs, Hornets, Scorpions etc.)
If you run a 4wd in classic, like the Boomerang, you MUST run stock tires and silver can motor. Thus taking the 4wd advantage away some.
Run the RC10's (6 gear and skinny front end) and Ultimas (skinny chassis and red shocks) and any other of this type buggy in stock configuration. OE tires, silver can stock Mabuchi motor, brushed ESC, and your 6 cell sub-c packs. This would get you out there running what you think would be fun to run, and equalize the playing field a bit. But like I said before, a tech inspection would have to be done to the buggies to make sure they are in compliance.

the classics class is allowed no mods right? no oil filled shocks, kit type tires, etc.?

if you were to put short arm rc10's and early ultimas in with hornets and grasshoppers, i think the rc10's and ultimas should not be allowed to run oil in their shocks. load'em up with green slime, lithium grease, or whatever else. but i say, if the tamiya cars gotta run friction shocks, they should too.

my only problem with letting them run in the classics class is the potential for it to become an rc10, ultima...... insert pretty much any "race" car of that period, kind of class. the tamiya stuff will be left at home in favor of those types of cars.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

No they can run oil shocks. There really isn't any rules in Classic either other than the handout motor. Its more a matter of how much could you really do to a tamiya falcon... ya know what I mean? It's only as good as it's limits and they're all about equal at that point.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ah ok, wasn't sure.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Erich, you are a class act. I hope none of what I said sounds like I'm knocking you or the event. You and the VONATS are awesome. And never worry about offending me or whatever. I know you've got a lot on your plate when it comes to this stuff and I respect you as a friend even if we disagree on something, which we generally don't. Just know that I don't really get worked up over this stuff, it is after all just a bunch of toy cars at the end of the day. Sitting here at the key board in the middle of winter with the cabin fever makes me a little ornery, that's all. Criticism is one thing I'm good at (well, maybe not good at, but willing to do) I suppose that comes with being an artist, I can take it just as easily as I give it.

As for the Clod thing, I know you worked hard on a solution, but in the end the only real solution was silver can 540s. A Clod is at a gearing disadvantage to begin with, so the silver can really isn't an option to race with. Yes, I'm 100% at the VONATS just to have fun, but at the same time I don't want to enter a moving road block. 19T motors for a Clod would still not have the truck moving as fast as a 27T King Cab. I know that gets things complicated though, one truck can run this, but another has to run that. I didn't see how they ran at this past year's race because I wasn't there. No matter, I sold my vintage Clod and bought a Juggernaut.

No issues with the Scorcher. Half the reason I bought it was to race it. I hope to do just that this fall.

And, you are right about me. (Feeling like Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi now) "You were right about me Luke." As long as I get to run my cars I'm happy as a pig in slop. The thing is I'm not one for holding anything back when it comes to opinions (one of my many faults) and that's what you see here. I probably should reel it in a bit as I'm sure I come off as actually being upset about this, but I assure you I am not.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

lol, that was one hell of a reply!

is it september yet?

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Scott, regarding the Clods, there were 3 or 4 of them running around the track last year. I ran a Kingcab in the class, and yes it was far superior on the track compared to those behemoths. BUT the Clod guys were having waaaay too much fun. Even Mark Westerfield ran a clod. He was standing next to me on the driver's stand and it was like a 5 minute gigglefest on the stand. Even driving around the Clods was fun (and tricky), but I don't think I would run a Kingcab in that class again. If I were to run in that class, it would be with a Clod! Now all I have to do is find out how to make one fit in my suitcase.. :roll:

Scr8p, I have no doubt that an older short arm 6 gear RC10 with hard OE knobbies (and I mean the ones that came with the car) 6 sub cell battery and a silver can Mabuchi will have a hard time getting around some of the older Tamiya style buggies with the new rubber and 27t/10.5 motors. I'll run my Frog against ANY RC10 set up like mentioned above. I am simply trying to come up with a place for those cars if there are not enough to form a class and even up the playing field a bit. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i was under the impression that all cars in the classic class had to use a mabuchi 540 motor, which is why i was trying to think of a way to hinder the rc10s and ultimas.

** edit**

Classic- Sponsored by Tamiya
Limited to "non-pro" and entry level cars (Tamiya Hornet, Mauri Ninja, Royal Ripper for example)
All 1/10 Buggies, 2wd or 4wd, 2ws or 4ws allowed
Handout Tamiya RS540 motors only <-------
Radio gear "electronics" are open.
Tires/wheels are open (including narrow front tires)
Li-Po batteries are allowed.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

brandon brings up a good point about the clod fitting in his suitcase.

i have a shipping and receiving dept (i manage the parts dept for danbury vw/audi/porsche), i would be willing to accept shipments and drop them off @ rchr if needed.
it's just an option for those who have to travel.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

I hear you Melvin and no worries. I've had enough critiques in art school as well as client meetings to know to take it with a grain of salt sometimes. I'm also a very critical person too so I totally know where your coming from. Hey if you want to get that cabin fever out you should take the train up to CT for the weekend. We don't have that much snow here... I just measured against my front deck after I cleared the driveway again and we're just under 5 feet!!! :)

Kaiser thanks for offering that. For everyone, I also offer that every year. If you'd like to ship your stuff out here rather than taking it on a plane I'm always happy to get everyone's stuff at my house and bring it up to the track. I promise I won't rummage through it TOO much!

Melvin and Brandon, I had an idea actually for this year that I think will work out for everyone in Heavy Metal and I suppose there's no harm in saying it now. I'm going to NOT split up the class but rather run it Grand Am style. Everyone runs on the same track at the same time but the class will be divided up into two classes Heavy Metal 1 (King Cabs and racier trucks... all 2wd trucks) and Heavy Metal 2 (Clods and all monster trucks with 4wd or dual motors, etc ). It was WAY too much fun last year running in that class for everyone and I refuse to split that up. I think giving everyone their own race is the right way to go though. I'm DEFINITELY running that one myself... I just wish I could run one of each.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

That sounds like a great idea Erich! Maybe I'll have to build another Clod now and race it. I have most of the axle parts already.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ok so hopefully this will be the last conversation and then we can put this ole' thread to rest and start up the 2011 Vonats thread on a positive note. Here's what I'm thinking after talking to Brandon... many thanks Brandon!

For the guys that want to run the original rc10s, how about this. I'm thinking of opening them to Classic (hang on Classic guys) with a few stipulations:

All "race style" entries (meaning narrow rc10, orig Ultima, Scorpion, Astute or any other cars with aluminum/fiberglass/etc chassis and more modern suspensions) must:

1. Run in their original configurations (orig tranny, chassis and suspension).

2. Run their original sized tires (you can run any aftermarket tread you want but must be orig size and preferably on orig style wheels.

3. Motors for the entire class will be handouts (I'm assuming Tamiya will send motors again, if not we'll get one together that's appropriate and "vintage").

4. 7.4v Lipo batteries are allowed.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

MelvinsArmy wrote:That sounds like a great idea Erich! Maybe I'll have to build another Clod now and race it. I have most of the axle parts already.
i recently finished a modded clod build, so i have everything you'd need to build a stocker, minus the axles. the stuff is almost brand new.

shoot me a pm if you're interested.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks Kaiser, I'd probably build one with an ESP or Sassy Chassis to race with.

Erich, I really like the sounds of those rules!