New body styling-

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: New body styling-

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote: I was the only person that ran that body on my Hornet BITD.
fixed it for ya. :wink: :mrgreen:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:
mrlexan wrote: I was the only person that ran that body on my JRX-2 BITD.
fixed it for ya. :wink: :mrgreen:
Fixed what?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

mrlexan wrote:Bunch of haters round here these days.
NAAAaaaa...that's just the hazing the new guys get :mrgreen: ...

welcome back mrlexan...wanted to make you feel like you weren't missed :mrgreen:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

That's Reg's and Scr8p's job!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

mrlexan wrote:That's Reg's and Scr8p's job!
aah. Yep...and they do a great job at it. I should just let the professionals give it to you then :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

You can't welcome someone back home :roll: You should never have left us...........where have you been all these um, days!! Your mother ( Halgar ) and step brother ( Hoopty ) were worried sick! You only ever think of yourself anymore :cry: - :lol:

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

That body looks like a prop from Battlestar Galactica...
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

I think that the bodies posted are pretty ugly, myself ... however, who is racing buggies or stadium trucks with attention to scale in mind, really?

I mean, the 2.2" wheels on buggies and stadium trucks are equivalent to 22 inch rims on a full size car, and with tires we are talking about pretty ridiculous scale implications. As noted previously in the thread, the scale "parachute bricks" of the short course vehicle boom are awful in terms of aerodynamics (not to mention windy-day jumping implications), but ...

... it seems that the scale appearance of short course racing may have saved the hobby. At least in combination with an explosion of spec-racing classes and zero-effort-investment Chinese built RTRs at until recently incredibly low initial price.

So perhaps a complete disregard to scale appearance in designing bodies is a dangerous thing. Or at least, lack of attention to scale may make an otherwise appealing class of racing, such as 2wd off road electric, less of a consideration for all but the boutique enthusiast.

I keep wondering if the way to "save" club-level 2wd buggy racing is to use spec short-course style wheels and tires front and rear (think Kyosho Ultima DB), spec Traxxas XL5/Titan or entry-level brushless combos, and require running baja-style beetle bodies on any 2wd buggy chassis. It would level the playing field, return a funky scale-like appearance to the class (which might attract new hobbyists), and make it possible for we retro enthusiasts to actually run our cars against new(er) blood more frequently.

Pro-line could even offer a spec wheel-tire-adapter-body combo that would cover just about any 2wd dating back to gold pan RC10s and little Losi's first rig.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

shirochanwrx wrote:I think that the bodies posted are pretty ugly, myself ... however, who is racing buggies or stadium trucks with attention to scale in mind, really?

I mean, the 2.2" wheels on buggies and stadium trucks are equivalent to 22 inch rims on a full size car, and with tires we are talking about pretty ridiculous scale implications. As noted previously in the thread, the scale "parachute bricks" of the short course vehicle boom are awful in terms of aerodynamics (not to mention windy-day jumping implications), but ...

... it seems that the scale appearance of short course racing may have saved the hobby. At least in combination with an explosion of spec-racing classes and zero-effort-investment Chinese built RTRs at until recently incredibly low initial price.

So perhaps a complete disregard to scale appearance in designing bodies is a dangerous thing. Or at least, lack of attention to scale may make an otherwise appealing class of racing, such as 2wd off road electric, less of a consideration for all but the boutique enthusiast.

I keep wondering if the way to "save" club-level 2wd buggy racing is to use spec short-course style wheels and tires front and rear (think Kyosho Ultima DB), spec Traxxas XL5/Titan or entry-level brushless combos, and require running baja-style beetle bodies on any 2wd buggy chassis. It would level the playing field, return a funky scale-like appearance to the class (which might attract new hobbyists), and make it possible for we retro enthusiasts to actually run our cars against new(er) blood more frequently.

Pro-line could even offer a spec wheel-tire-adapter-body combo that would cover just about any 2wd dating back to gold pan RC10s and little Losi's first rig.

I'll second that idea.

Only the hard core racers appreciate UGLY. Scale HAS saved this hobby.

RPM & Proline make great looking scale wheels for trucks, why not scale wheels for buggies? Think of how many old-school RC10's, Ultima's & Losi buggies are still around that could be brought back to the track. Hello, manufacturers?... opportunity knocking...

The 1.5"-1.7" wheels worked for years until the ridiculous/bland looking 2.2 buggy wheels were introduced. Most buggies that did just fine without the larger wheels.

If the amount of converted-to-Baja Bug conversions (of all makes) in this forum are any indication, this would be an idea that would be very popular with the masses.

A scale/performance minded buggy is exactly what the market needs.
The (pricey) Sand Scorcher's popularity hasn't cooled much..(umm, 30+ years?..) imagine the looks of the SS with a decent buggy chassis priced below the Slash..how cool would that be?
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Diggley wrote:
shirochanwrx wrote:I think that the bodies posted are pretty ugly, myself ... however, who is racing buggies or stadium trucks with attention to scale in mind, really?

I'll second that idea.

Only the hard core racers appreciate UGLY.

The 1.5"-1.7" wheels worked for years until the ridiculous/bland looking 2.2 buggy wheels were introduced. Most buggies that did just fine without the larger wheels.
I don't know about the older rim size working, there was a distinct advantage with a 2.2 rear tire in 1989 called the TR31 :wink:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Charlie don't surf wrote:You can't welcome someone back home :roll: You should never have left us...........where have you been all these um, days!! Your mother ( Halgar ) and step brother ( Hoopty ) were worried sick! You only ever think of yourself anymore :cry: - :lol:
Not to get off topic, but been either in the woods or at work. Every free moment I have I am on the trail. I'd never leave you Reg, I know how your Man-crushes are. Relax, breath, and don't forget to take your medication (we don't want you to go back to the big house). :mrgreen:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

mrlexan wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:You can't welcome someone back home :roll: You should never have left us...........where have you been all these um, days!! Your mother ( Halgar ) and step brother ( Hoopty ) were worried sick! You only ever think of yourself anymore :cry: - :lol:
Not to get off topic, but been either in the woods or at work. Every free moment I have I am on the trail. I'd never leave you Reg, I know how your Man-crushes are. Relax, breath, and don't forget to take your medication (we don't want you to go back to the big house). :mrgreen:
:lol: It's impossible to go off-topic in this section, that's why Halgar is allowed here :lol:

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Charlie don't surf wrote: I don't know about the older rim size working, there was a distinct advantage with a 2.2 rear tire in 1989 called the TR31 :wink:
Back around '88-'89, there were a few companies making 2.2 wheels for the RC10 and JRX2, in order to use Schumacher and Yoko tires. They were popular at our track, because they worked. As far as bodies, there were some ugly ones, as well as stylish. In those days, racers seemed to be more concerned with performance and modifications over looks.

I like the idea of "spec" wheels/bodies to increase class popularity. However, in my opinion, the decline of the hobby was the influx of cheap RTR junk and its discontinuation after only a few months on the market. Great for business, but bad for the hobby. In today's world of instant gratification, the pride of building and improving the performance of a solid kit has been lost to the average R/C enthusiast.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

The spec tire/wheel/body idea is exactly what we did when we came up with the USVTA concept a few years ago. One type of tire allowed ONLY, a few different wheel styles in one size and a few different colors, plus about a half-dozen different approved bodies that looked like real race cars. It was a HUGE success, and was even made a class at the Snowbirds and adopted into the ROAR rulebook as a real class. One motor, a few ESCs, open chassis and setup, and you have a winner.

Three years later, though, and we constantly still have people complaining that there isn't enough body selection and that they can't be "individual" enough, whatever that means. People will always find something to complain about, though. It's the nature of the R/C beast.

I have thought about trying to develop a spec series for off road similar to the USVTA, but at this point, there are already WAY too many classes, and most of them are the fad-of-the-month SCs. My new local indoor off road track has NINE classes, and 5 of them are truck classes (3 different SC classes). Plain ol' stupid if you ask me, but no one was. ;)

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i'm the minority here, i really like the punisher but only for the b4, the t4 and b44 bodies are really odd.