Your Top 10 Pet Peeves in second-hand R/C cars

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Your Top 10 Pet Peeves in second-hand R/C cars

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

I see a broken shock tower held together with steel wire? Anything else? Are the screw holes split or something?

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:I see a broken shock tower held together with steel wire? Anything else? Are the screw holes split or something?
The two screws holding the right side are a type of wood screw and the left side is two body mount type screws lol, The front gear box and shock mount need replacing, I have plenty rear gear boxes but no fronts lol.

Richieflax
Approved Member

Post by Richieflax »

Homemade shock towers and servos bolted down with rusty meccano are top of my list!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Looks like I can top the "lotion as oil". Todays session of rebuilding four second-hand shocks has raised the following, 'interesting', question:

If you are out of shock oil, where do you go to find some new oil?
A) The hobby shop.
B) The kitchen. :lol:

Should you ever think of choosing B) as your source of 'shock' oil, for the love of all that is holy, please don't choose the fish oil... :roll:

I was rather 'pleasantly' surprised to be greeted by the smell of fish as I screwed off the first shock cap. :shock:

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: Should you ever think of choosing B) as your source of 'shock' oil, for the love of all that is holy, please don't choose the fish oil... :roll:

I was rather 'pleasantly' surprised to be greeted by the smell of fish as I screwed off the first shock cap. :shock:
*puke*

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
Should you ever think of choosing B) as your source of 'shock' oil, for the love of all that is holy, please don't choose the fish oil... :roll:

Could of been worse. They could of been into alternative medicine and used skunk oil. http://www.bigdweb.com/prodinfo.asp?number=837&CAWELAID=568705896

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

nvxwax wrote:This drives me crazy grrrr.... I mean really?

Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

Priceless :roll:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I think their should be a test before you can buy a Drill!! people drill holes all over the car and in the chassis drives me crazy. I have a box full of junk chassis that look like a cheese grader.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Last but certainly not least, people who prepare their shelf queens for storage by coating them in cosmoline.
kinda cool idea if you ask me.... why would this be bad???
i hate extra holes in a chassis.. the only thing worse is holes right next to holes.. like whats the pont of 3 servo mount holes all almost touching... :evil: :evil: :evil:

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

longboardnj wrote:
Last but certainly not least, people who prepare their shelf queens for storage by coating them in cosmoline.
i hate extra holes in a chassis.. the only thing worse is holes right next to holes.. like whats the pont of 3 servo mount holes all almost touching... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Even the military doesn't use cosmoline for firearms anymore. I think that they have switched entirely to PET packaging and synthetic rust-prevention agents.

If people want to protect their ferric RC parts from rust, there are so many options out there that don't make your car look like it is covered in goo. A thin coat of acyrlic polymer, such as Futura floor wax, Klasse All-in-One or Klasse Glaze auto "wax", or Sonus-brand engine compartment detailer/protectant would all prevent rust and be nearly invisible. Even giving each part a wipe with a bike chain lube like Pedros Ice Wax (not a great chain lube but good for other applications) will seal out moisture and prevent rust without cover your vintage car parts in grease pudding.

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

Ive seen some good ones mentioned.

mine are
  • Newly built, never ran R/C's that do not work (Servo wires pulled out of plug)
  • chopped wires so short that the ESC is almost useless, or soldered wired that look like garbage
  • wood screws YES!
  • Metric and standard screws mixed!
  • Old NiCd batteries that are fried and add extra weight to the package.
  • My most hated! RED LOCKTIGHT ON EVERY SCREW! Ive had to cut off so many screws on clods.
If an R/C is used, I expect some of these, I always strip down and rebuild, relube. Rusty hardware I can understand. A lot of these r/c's have been forgotten about. They don't have an addiction like we do, o I mean a great love for the hobby! lol

My last purchase was a InnerBrewCrew Cantilever clod that was never ran but had all rod ends cracked because they put the set screws in too far! Servo wires pulled out of the plug, ESC wired wrong. what a mess it was!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Its INERBEECREW you goof. Image

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

bearrickster wrote:I think their should be a test before you can buy a Drill!! people drill holes all over the car and in the chassis drives me crazy. I have a box full of junk chassis that look like a cheese grader.
I forgot to add home made servo mounts and holes to my peeve list too..

Here's a chassis i bought a while ago :

I saw the cable ties on the pictures before i bought it, but this is what lurked underneath..

It's got to be the stupidest servo mounting solution i've ever come across :?

Paul.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

longboardnj wrote:

I know the cleanup is going to be a bear.... BUT I have no fear putting it on the very end of my to do list. It ought to be well protected during the wait!

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Brandon G wrote: I know the cleanup is going to be a bear.... BUT I have no fear putting it on the very end of my to do list. It ought to be well protected during the wait!
No kidding. But you are right about the protection. I opened a crate of donated medical supplies before sending them to Haiti and found a box of foil packed US Army "made in USA" surgical instruments from 1952 ... each foil pack contained a single cosmoline-coated instrument, all in perfect shape and of much higher quality than the now routinely disposable imported instruments in most procedure kits.

I think that an acetone bath for a week might be the best way to clear that stuff with minimal effort. Or maybe gasoline.