Currently Playing

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

askbob
Approved Member

Re: Currently playing.

Post by askbob »

The venue where I saw the last band posted, brought back memories of seeing Wheatus many years prior. Met these guys and they put this album togther in their basement studio somewhere in NYC. They put on a hell of a show!

[youtube]MRFwGV527Pw&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]qbYEiFfr7jo&feature=fvsr[/youtube]

and of course...

[youtube]FC3y9llDXuM&feature=related[/youtube]

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

askbob wrote:I never could get Queens of the Stone Age either. Different, but couldn't catch their groove. Now Soundgarden was and is a great band. Not sure I'd put them in the same realm as Led Zeppelin, but great indeed. And I'm not a big Zep fan either.

This brings me to another idea I've been thinking of lately. That is how is the music scene gonna be after some of the greatest rock heros are gone? It's inevitable, because plastic surgery and botox can only cover up 60+ years of hard living. What the hell happened to ageing gracefully? In my mind, there hasn't been a great rock band to measure up to what once was. As in a truly musically talented group of people playing together who can also put on a great show. Aside from the somewhat unknown bands that I've listened to for years, and old great bands still kicking, a band with true greatness hasn't reared its head for many years...
You guys must not get very many tours through KY. Here's a couple bands I'd put up against anything that came before them. People who think there is no good current music aren't paying attention. (No offense :wink: ) All of the below are bands I've seen within the past 5 years (some multiple times) and all blew me away with their music and their live show.

Okay, broken up now, but they started 10 or so years ago. I saw them in Madison Square Garden in 07 and they blew the roof off the place.
[youtube]duZBYrokqPw[/youtube]

[youtube]7uHROkR01rg[/youtube]

[youtube]n-oYMsoCc1g[/youtube]

These two will kick any old band's rear up between their shoulders:
[youtube]4gXmgnBh8vM[/youtube]

Heavy metal is alive and well:
[youtube]LFWoDlygXKM[/youtube]

Best metal band on Earth in 2011:
[youtube]89h-X-tZa_w&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Tip of the ice burg. 8)

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Surprisingly a lot of known and up and coming bands pass through the Louisville, Indy, Cincy area. I still venture out to see all sorts of oddities as I have an eclectic taste. I guess from my sorta rant, I didn't make my idea clear. I suppose in my mind, the epic bands also made epic albums. Complete and well thought out albums that you could listen to from beginning to end. So many times, with some exceptions, I'll delve into a new band I've heard and be amazingly disappointed at the other songs on the album. I still think the lack of 'mind expansion' plays a part in this. :mrgreen:

Now Jack White is a true musician/performer. Ever see the film 'It Might Get Loud"? Funny he's in that flic and it sorta puts what I think into perspective.

[youtube]6FOVSwHjfLM&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]suGVO5t96wI&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]
[youtube]bqFb6VXW86Y[/youtube]

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

MelvinsArmy wrote: People who think there is no good current music aren't paying attention.

Best metal band on Earth in 2011:
High on Fire! yesss! (in a beavis voice) Matt Pike was awesome when he was in Sleep back in the '90s and even better now. Is it me or does he sound a little like Lemmy? Good stuff...

Queens and Kyuss on the other hand are just simply awesome imo. Homme's & Garcia are just great musicians. Anything with Garcia behind the mic just rips like in Slo Burn and Unita. Was glad to see the Kyuss lives! start up last year. Would of loved to been at any one of those shows.

[youtube]gY9uLJk1YtQ[/youtube]

[youtube]QpVqzDGs-68[/youtube]
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Nirvana was all business and difference, Foo Fighters is all goof and fun with some great song construction mixed in, and QOTSA were interesting but I couldn't take them seriously other than a little more than FF but still fun!
I have no idea what you just said. :lol: NIrvana was what? You can't take QOTSA seriously? I'm lost.

And I forgot to respond to this:
Charlie don't surf wrote: I saw them in 96 at lollapolza, good time- but since Cornell started doing vocals in that other band I think I will just remember them from 96'
I didn't care for Audioslave either. But, Soundgarden is back and as good as ever. Audioslave is history, thank god. I posted this already, but you should watch it. It was recorded last year and sounds 10x better than the album version. Soundgarden is our generation's Led Zeppelin, only better.
[youtube]crILNt7-kj8[/youtube]
I guess the Nirvana reference reads different than it was intended too, I meant that they were serious about the music they made, not actual business.

Thank you for reminding me of the name Audioslave!! I loathed hearing Cornell's voice in that "song" where the tempo and tone if his voice matched the music and Seether drum course.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Judging by a lot of posts here(which I like most of :D )this may be a little too commercial, but

Hinder makes great CDs and great singles. Great meaningful lyrics and a soulful voice in all their music. 8)

[youtube]z2zEG9owql0[/youtube]
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

A little new stuff today. Cool vid too.

[youtube]A5GYOsKLp6o&ob=av2e[/youtube]

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Oh yeah! Seems Sting drinks from the fountain of youth.

[youtube]fQ1sTL_TYUM&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]eRdFNPeHoI0[/youtube]

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

If you ever get a chance to listen to the 'Jailbreak' album all the way through, do yourself the favor. Well engineered to boot.

[youtube]rENy7MQIYJs[/youtube]
[youtube]k3jWd8Ibifw[/youtube]
[youtube]IN862-bRsXs&feature=related[/youtube]

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I grew up listening to 90's alternative music because that's what my brother listened to at the time. But I've been listening to mostly SKA since I was introduced to Spring Heeled Jack USA back in junior high. I've been to several Reel Big Fish and Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto shows that also introduced me to Edna's Goldfish and Clearview. I absolutely hate classic rock after being forced to listen to it for years while working. :x

[youtube]gfdaC6Rc64M[/youtube]

[youtube]_gBAbw3keaw[/youtube]

[youtube]HOY8VxW_aKw[/youtube]

I've been listening to a lot of Eyes Set To Kill lately.

[youtube]ahym5lWIG1w[/youtube]

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

some good stuff in here.

i love sleep/high on fire, along with fu man chu, clutch, electric wizard.

my favorite metal band will always be maiden. up the irons!

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Particle, a superb jam band. Seems I'm the resident minority, has been hippy :P Cool clip with Joe Satriani playing along...

[youtube]3vm8AUQFPw8[/youtube]

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

What?? No Theory? :? 8)

[youtube]29RnY0H7cj4&ob=av2n[/youtube]
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

And oh man just because...!! :twisted: 8) :mrgreen:

[youtube]yvsQsao1F88&ob=av2e[/youtube]
Ken

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

[youtube]3nIAnCJL1f0[/youtube]
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.