Project Circle Track

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: Project Circle Track

Post by REMJ666 »

I'm dying for a update :) Have you been back to race ???
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Race day is next Saturday....I'm willing to bet I'm dying to race more than you're dying for an update! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I'm also looking to try out a little experiment with the handling, so I'll have to get there early to get some laps in. I won't say what it is, unless it works...

Here's a link I think might be helpful:
http://rcpedia.wikidot.com/

-Russ
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Print thatt out and take it with ya...Make small changes and jot down on paper what ya did so you don't forget lol...I used to have a sheet like that when i raced and a log [ setup book ] so i could remember what woked and what didn't...Gotta take a vid camera with you next race...Went down to my old track this past weekend and the lady remembers me from back then and is trying to get me to come back and race...They don't do oval but they do have a really nice clay track inside...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Well today was finally race day. Man, I've got a lot to catch up on. :shock: ...The hard-packed clay basically started out backwards from what I expected. It was extremely loose to begin with (plus my tires didn't help, either)...but it actually tightened up as the day went on. After sliding and spinning through the first qualifier, I strapped on some new Custom Works rears and softened the rear end....made a world of difference in the second round. The main was a bit different, since I was compensating for a loose track early on, and I actually traction-rolled it a couple of times. I think the Willys body helped, because I came up on the wheels every time.
The drawback to the day was that I still need to get a transponder. Gone are the days when you put the module in before your race, and took it out afterward (remember those days?)....Anyway, I ended up just running for fun, because I couldn't get laps or times.

But out of everything today, I found the old 6 gear was as fast as anyone in the class, and faster than most. I had it turning in great by the main, and coming off the corner better than when I went out to set it up....BTW, my handling experiment was running staggered caster. Using extreme caster on the right front helped it turn from the center out. I think I'm almost there, with small adjustments in the rear for track bite.

Bottom line: I was very pleased, and it was awesome getting on the track after 23 years....I can't wait to do it again. :mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Turning left sure is addictive ain't it?! Glad to hear you had a good time. Once you get that muscle training back and a transponder you'll be leading the way I'm sure. Don't forget to try and grab even some short video. I'd love to see that thing going around the track! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Good to hear Russ. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. I may have to bring my childhood 6 gear too! Just needs a diff rebuild after smoking the competition in my last vintage oval race a few years back. Unfortunately there was only one other car... another 6 gear. Smoking the competition didn't really amount to much.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

knucklebuster wrote:Good to hear Russ. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. I may have to bring my childhood 6 gear too! Just needs a diff rebuild after smoking the competition in my last vintage oval race a few years back. Unfortunately there was only one other car... another 6 gear. Smoking the competition didn't really amount to much.
A burn is a burn man. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Turning left sure is addictive ain't it?! Glad to hear you had a good time. Once you get that muscle training back and a transponder you'll be leading the way I'm sure. Don't forget to try and grab even some short video. I'd love to see that thing going around the track! :mrgreen:
I had a ball, but you didn't miss much this time out. Maybe I can get the wife to come out next race and get some video. Right now, I'm having sticker shock over having to fork out $100 for a transponder, especially when I could use the money for real parts :x

Chris- My big concern about the 6 gear was being able to hang with B4's and Losi cars. I put that concern to rest yesterday 8) ...Hope to see you out there sometime. BTW, Thanks again for turning me on to the Hobby King site. The ESC/motor combo I got pushes that car just fine for the class, and it was only $65 shipped!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Obviously you know how to build the 6 gear properly. I bet anyone at the track with a B4 or any other newer car had to physically lift their lower jaw after seeing your RC10 run!

Man, I should have checked the sight for more than just batteries. I got fed up with their slow web pages and stopped searching. FYI my second (new) Reedy 3300 was $45. I say you did pretty good for the combo.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

I put it together with a Jammin Jay kit, since the original ebay purchase...mostly because the thrust bearing was completely missing.

There were only a couple of people who knew what was under the Willys body. I kind of kept a low profile, but those who knew seemed impressed enough.

As far as the ESC/motor, it's a hobby king "x car" sensored esc with a cooling fan, and the motor is a Turnigy 13.5....I need to get a program card for it, because I didn't read into it enough when I got it. Apparently, you can adjust output, brakes and a couple of other things. So far, the output seems fine, and I dialed out the brakes with the radio. Now we'll see what kind of reliability it has in the long run.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Glad to hear that all went well...Still rounding up parts here :lol: But i am getting closer...Lucky for me my track is an indoor one so i am in no hurry...I take that back , i am in a hurry :lol: Ran into a couple of buddies who used to race with me back in the day and found out that one just got a sponsor from airtronics...Man am i jealous...They are hooking him up with all kinds of cool free stuff...He showed me a copy of the contract and some of the cool stuff that he has gotten so far...I told him not to forget me when he gets tired of his old stuff :lol:

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

REMJ666 wrote:...I told him not to forget me when he gets tired of his old stuff :lol:
Nothing like having a friend from the old days!

Are you planning on running foams on the track? If so, CRP made some adapters for using rear pan car tires on the RC10. Most fronts will bolt up, just pop in bearings.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Lucky for me the Team Car was another RTR that i won on evilbay...The person raced it on carpet and it came with foams and those rear adapters...I picked up a set of JACO World GT Spec front and rears yesterday and the adapter bolted right up...I just ordered the RPM a arms front and rear and am waiting on them...Brand new and they cost a little over 8 dollars a pair from liquid rc...What did you use for the front lower metal ball on the front shocks ????..I saw on the advertisment that i would have to use something different for that...Tried to get bearings for the trans and everyone is out of one size or the other...Acer , Boca and Avid...Trying to stay with the same type of bearings throughout the whole car...One step forward and 2 steps back...Found a shock spring kit for the rear...Very happy about that...The track is running a 17.5 Spec , 17.5 and 13.5 class...So far no bomber...I took the car with me yesterday and the gent told me that if there was enough interest they would add that class...Fair enough...I will be there this weekend to see what they are running...Last time they did oval it was the Losi sprint and latemodel cars that people was racing...That gives me time to talk to more people and see if there will be interest in a bomber class...If not then i will go there and just have fun...

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

REMJ666 wrote:What did you use for the front lower metal ball on the front shocks ????..I saw on the advertisment that i would have to use something different for that...
I didn't know that when I bought the arms. I swapped the lower rear links with the ones from my DS. They're more of a straight ball, instead of the standoff type....Or, if you don't care about brand, you could use Dubro ball links (or Parma if you can find them). They have 4-40 on both the shaft and ball size.

See what type of chassis they are running in the 13.5 class. If it's 2WD, it wouldn't matter if it's bomber.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Those shock ends and pivot balls can still be ordered...They are Associated part # 7217...They fit the B3 and B4...They are under 3 dollars for 2 ends and 2 pivot balls...I just ordered 2 sets to keep and will get more to be safe...I found them at A Main Hobbies under B4 parts...I went back on to towers site and read the fine print and it said to use the shock end and pivot balls from a B3/T3...Then i went on here under 25 yrs of RC and pulled up the exploded view of the B3 and B4...They are the same...Thought you might want to know...You can give your other car back it's parts :lol: I'm sure it will be very happy to be whole again :lol: Just some more useless info that i can pass on...