TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post by 85Edinger »

It's very simple. When your turn comes up, you drive around the track as fast as you can.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Haha. Yes, that's basically it, plus be sure to let faster drivers through.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

stickboy007 wrote:Haha. Yes, that's basically it, plus be sure to let faster drivers through.
Oh ok, so everybody qualifies at the same time. Got it.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

85Edinger wrote:It's very simple. When your turn comes up, you drive around the track as fast as you can.
Ok, thanks.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

My home track we use slicks almost exclusively. I bought some JConcepts Blues for my RC10T and JConcept Greens for my buggy to goof around on an outside track with my kids. Will they be that bad? I was trying to avoid buying new tires for one event. Bad enough I need to get another 17.5 motor to run both classes.

Also, anyone familar with the track/area, what are some recommendations for hotels? Don't want the flea bag but want to not blow the budget on a room.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

R/Cat- No in IFMAR qualifying your on your own clock. When the "race" starts the announcer will call names one by one indicating they can go. When they cross the line for the first time that individuals clock starts and runs on independently for the duration of the qualifier. At the end the announcer will say "Time. Go until I tell you to stop", just because you may cross the line after they say this doesn't mean your done, It just means the first person that started's time is up. When YOUR time is up they will call your name. Depending on how you started your first lap, you could technically cross the line after they say something and then still leave to cross it again and finish another lap (if the first person lapped you on the first lap in this case). When everyone is done the computer will stack all of the times together and sort them by laps and time. While you're qualifying it's important to listen to where you are. You could have started last or have been running a while and been passed by a few people but still be in 2nd or 3rd place because your lap times are better. Getting passed, passing someone and "racing" don't matter at all in IFMAR qualifying since literally the ONLY thing you're doing is running against the clock. Think of it like F1 qualifying where they're all on the track at the same time but each one is being timed individually (or as if NASCAR had everyone do their qual laps at the same time if you're not familiar with F1).

The point is to do the best you can and run as consistently as possible without crashing. After each round of qualifying, the classes are resorted so that other racers that ran relatively similar laps and times will be with you in the next round. We resort after every round and run three rounds on Saturday and one last chance/late comer round on Sunday so you have plenty of chances to do your best!

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

pumpkinfish wrote:My home track we use slicks almost exclusively. I bought some JConcepts Blues for my RC10T and JConcept Greens for my buggy to goof around on an outside track with my kids. Will they be that bad? I was trying to avoid buying new tires for one event. Bad enough I need to get another 17.5 motor to run both classes.

Also, anyone familar with the track/area, what are some recommendations for hotels? Don't want the flea bag but want to not blow the budget on a room.

Good point....same here. I'm trying to avoid buying another pair of race tires for one event since I already have a pair I didn't end up using last year because I couldn't make the race. I'd like to keep my cost to a minimum my first time out.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:R/Cat- No in IFMAR qualifying your on your own clock. When the "race" starts the announcer will call names one by one indicating they can go. When they cross the line for the first time that individuals clock starts and runs on independently for the duration of the qualifier. At the end the announcer will say "Time. Go until I tell you to stop", just because you may cross the line after they say this doesn't mean your done, It just means the first person that started's time is up. When YOUR time is up they will call your name. Depending on how you started your first lap, you could technically cross the line after they say something and then still leave to cross it again and finish another lap (if the first person lapped you on the first lap in this case). When everyone is done the computer will stack all of the times together and sort them by laps and time. While you're qualifying it's important to listen to where you are. You could have started last or have been running a while and been passed by a few people but still be in 2nd or 3rd place because your lap times are better. Getting passed, passing someone and "racing" don't matter at all in IFMAR qualifying since literally the ONLY thing you're doing is running against the clock. Think of it like F1 qualifying where they're all on the track at the same time but each one is being timed individually (or as if NASCAR had everyone do their qual laps at the same time if you're not familiar with F1).

The point is to do the best you can and run as consistently as possible without crashing. After each round of qualifying, the classes are resorted so that other racers that ran relatively similar laps and times will be with you in the next round. We resort after every round and run three rounds on Saturday and one last chance/late comer round on Sunday so you have plenty of chances to do your best!

OK, great. Thanks for the explanation. That really helps. I'm only running in one class but it sounds like I'm going to have to qualify multiple times. Is that to sort out who races in what main (A, B) of the same class?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Yes it is. The resorts will stack you with similar racers

Pumpkin- there is a Quality Inn right across the street that has an awesome Italian restaurant called Ninos. I believe Brandon Giles has stayed there. Maybe he could give a review.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Erich Reichert wrote:Yes it is. The resorts will stack you with similar racers

Pumpkin- there is a Quality Inn right across the street that has an awesome Italian restaurant called Ninos. I believe Brandon Giles has stayed there. Maybe he could give a review.
Restaurant is great, motel, not great. At least it's cheap. But the only thing you use it for is sleep, shit, shower, and shave anyway. I probably wouldn't stay there again tho.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Not sure if they remodeled or not but I know it changed to a Quality Inn now (was a Super8)

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Guys,

Have you made a ruling on sensorless brushless sytems and what kv is allowed? I have a spare combo not sure if it is allowable.

Thanks.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

No need to, they were never allowed. The rules for each class are posted at the beginning of the thread. 17.5 for all classss except 4WD (13.5 and 10.5), Classic (handout) and Novice (silver can mabuchi) :)

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:No need to, they were never allowed. The rules for each class are posted at the beginning of the thread. 17.5 for all classss except 4WD (13.5 and 10.5), Classic (handout) and Novice (silver can mabuchi) :)

Is the handout motor also a silver can/540 and when do we receive them?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

It's the sport tuned Tamiya motors. You'll get it when you register for the class