2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

glowster21
Approved Member

Re: 2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Post by glowster21 »

scr8p wrote:
tecnica2001 wrote:Seriously, If anyone had a real problem with anyone's entry, why wasn't it mentioned there and then, It wasn't like anyone was gonna go postal on anyone, In my case, if someone anonymously would've mentioned something to Erich, John or Mark, and they came up to me and told me my cars aren't VINTAGY enough, I would'nt have run them.... Honestly, this whole thing has really turned me off a bit.." :roll:
i announced my displeasure towards the losi xx being legal months before the FIRST race, so it should come as no surprise i still feel the same way. but, since erich said they were legal, ya can't be going back on it now. well, you could but........... whatever.

i have no idea what the problem is with your bearhawk since i have not seen it other than in the video. year wise it should be legal. :?

i also don't see a problem with your 10t either. most of the guys have some sort of modern parts on their cars to mount modern wheels on their vintage rides. that is just something that people are gonna have to look past.
Somebody whined about Freddy's Bearhawk and I have absolutely no idea why. It's the right era, NOT developed as a Race Vehicle, and looks cool as hell getting around the track.
Didn't hear anybody complaining about any 10T's. There are definitely some creative racers out there though, saw some cool mods to 10T's.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

What did Freddy do to his Bearhawk? I don't know the first thing about that model, so I wouldn't know what would not seem right on it.

Don't let any of this get you down Freddy. I do think it's good to have this discussion. But, just like on race day, I wouldn't get too wound up about this stuff. I think what we've got going is totally awesome. I think the 94 cut off is good (although it wouldn't bother me for a minute if it was pushed back in time) and as long as people continue to keep with the spirit of this being a vintage race, I think we'll all be fine. There will always be people who gripe about stuff, even when everything is perfect. I do like glowster's idea of the "Gentleman's Agreement". I think we all know what pieces added to a vintage car will give it a noticeable advantage over the era-correct parts. The biggest non-era-correct advantage I can think of would be tires, but using new tires is just common sense. I don't think people are traveling from all around the country to do donuts on the track. :lol: I didn't see anything super out of line at the race, but then again I didn't go around and inspect every car. Anyway, I'm going all over the place now, but I just wanted to say that I hope this isn't really going to bum you or anyone else out. That's why I posted that video of Kramer. I think we need to laugh at ourselves once in a while. If someone wants to do crazy things to their car or race a car that is not legal because they think they'll have a better chance of winning, I see it as the Kramer vs the kids scenario. I'd rather take last place with my LXT than first place with a T2.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Kids.............your racing toy cars for bowling trophies. :roll: I didn't think this was as much of a "race" as it was a gathering :? --Just my 02

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Parts list on my Bearhawk:
Traxxas Bulkhead cut in half
Traxxas Shocktower cut in half
Losi Fr arms and steering knuckles
Belcrank system
Losi Shocks All around
Dubro Tierods/Rod ends
B4 axles (stock dog bones broke in the first qualifier)
Losi Wheels
Hacked up (dremeled) piece of a T3 rear metal plate, used in front.

Two things that I wanted to accomplish, eliminate the bumpsteer and make the car more durable, Bearhawks are prone to front end breakage, I mean, completely break off...

The whole weekend, everyone that came to my pit, was laughing more than anything at my hack job, some watched to see if it would fall apart. but it held together pretty good....... :mrgreen:

Joe, thanks for clearing things up sir.... :mrgreen:

Scott, I'm definitely coming back, I just gotta re-think my entries, I wouldn't miss your Clod entry for the world... 8)
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Kids.............your racing toy cars for bowling trophies. :roll: I didn't think this was as much of a "race" as it was a gathering :? --Just my 02
Oh, it's a race alright, a gathering it's more like a bunch of guys just bashing around in a park, doing long jump competitions....

We had some good ole "Organized" racing.... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

tecnica2001 wrote:Scott, ...I wouldn't miss your Clod entry for the world... 8)
if you wanna see some peeps freak out, wait 'till they see a 4-linked zilla 3 all raced out... 8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

badhoopty wrote:
tecnica2001 wrote:Scott, ...I wouldn't miss your Clod entry for the world... 8)
if you wanna see some peeps freak out, wait 'till they see a 4-linked zilla 3 all raced out... 8)

I can't wait! :twisted:

fatkidracing14

Post by fatkidracing14 »

jay i want to see some pics of that!!!!!!!!
RCHR Waterbury CT. 203-575-9757 WWW.RCHR.BIZ
Team Associated, Losi, jconcepts, Airtronics

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Kids.............your racing toy cars for bowling trophies. :roll:
Thats my line! :D :D

Sadly Due to financial constraints, I haven't been able to attend an event, but believe me, i REALLY want to make it out for an event.
I think there are lots of good points being made, and I too am torn. I guess if I had to do it (depending on # of entrants obviously) I would look at a couple of criteria.

CLASSIC: Box Stock RCs (minus mechanical speed controls) and use a standard hand out Silver can motor and a 1500 NiCd pack. (6gear RC10, Grasshopper, Hornet, Frog, etc.) Kit rubber, no changes, literally as it came from the box. (kit springs, but changing oils) I agree, given the packed clay etc, yea, driving will require some finesse but it keeps with the early spirit of RC.

2WD: Open to any 2wd buggy prior to (insert year) modern upgrades like tires, ESC, Limit motors and BL motors to something stock or 19t equivalent. Also, things like the Andy's, Tekin and RPM, etc kits.

TRUCK 2wd Kit trucks. RC10T, JRXT, JR T, etc. (not sure if the Blackfoots, Kingcabs, converted RC10s etc fall into this.)

HEAVY METAL Still up to some discussion, I picture the larger heavier trucks like clods, USA1s Big brute etc.

4WD The older, early gen 4wd, Dogfighter, Optima etc. Upgraded electrics. No BL.

4WD OPEN Later Yoke models, Lazers etc. Upgraded electrics incl. BL

2WD Siebenelch (Dedicated to Michael, Jason and others) For the men who inspired the heavily modified RC10s. Cut down chassis', Worlds front ends, modified rear shock towers, BL setups etc.

I realize that there is a lot of open grey area. I think there is something to be said for the newer BL technology and Lipo. I know that our local Vintage class has made adjustments for the BL and use of lipo, but the cars are pretty true to kit form.

MOmo

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Clodzilla 3 is in hand. :twisted: Tore it down and started cleaning and rebuilding. Going to make a "few special modifications myself" and Millenium Falcon it out. I love a nice used monster truck. How many days till the 2010 vintage nationals? I can't wait. This is gonna be awesome!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I have a new 2wd car in the mail to me right now, not an rc10 :twisted:

That Zilla3 is gonna be cool, when I was a kid the older guys with money raced them, they had 5 or 6 on the track.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Here's a nice little number.... where would this fit into??
I would think Heavy Metal :wink:

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Kyosho Raider -- "Classics" Class???

Kyosho Pegasus -- Definitely "Classics" class... :mrgreen:

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

I really want to make it next year

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I've got a question about the rules. For Heavy Metal, just like all the other classes you are supposed to run a 27T motor. In a Clod, you need to run one reverse rotation motor, or use a motor that you can change the timing on. I don't know of any 27T motors available in reverse rotation or with adjustable timing. Any suggestions? Might we make a small rule change for this class next year? Maybe allow mild modified motors so the Clod owners can adjust the timing?