Old is new build: DONE (now racing) Resto; (in progress)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoldRush
Approved Member

Re: Old is new, and a classic restoration, I wanna do both!

Post by GoldRush »

socal jared wrote:
JK Racing wrote:did you shelf the B4 :lol:
LOL, yeah basically :)
I brought the b4.1 for backup, but it never left the bag because the goldie was on rails.
And yes the gearing I mentioned kept me right around 150ish with 85F* ambient temps, plenty of top on the straight with enough balls to clear the triple.
thats a little more than i like to go since i like to run at the 130ish area but if its clearing the triple at that gearing then its working well. cant wait to get my next runner rig up and going with brushless power.
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

gimmie a couple weeks, i have a wedding this coming weekend, but after that :) it will be gold tub heaven
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

socal jared wrote:....
I was curious as to the differences in dimensions and geometry in the rc10 vs the b4 after the klien conversion.
I was looking through both OIN threads and was wondering after doing the conversion, and adding 2.2s, how similar can the pan be to the b4?
Sorry if this question is redundant, but I didnt find anything in those threads regarding performance comparisons etc.
Jared, your enthusiasm is contagious! Thanks for posting. You're totally right that the Klein conversions ARE their own animals geometrically and it's hard to find evidence that they ever are as dialed-in as a standard '10, as that car has nearly 10 years of R&D into it by the time you get to an early 90's CE/Worlds-esque version with the 25-30 degree caster blocks, properly travel limited suspension, etc.

You have given me an idea about a new post though. Long live fiberglass sheet and stamped aircraft aluminum! Take it any day over a box of molded graphite and black plastic! I'm one of those "challenged" drivers out there, but am unfortunately convinced I can engineer a car to compensate for my deficiencies :roll: :mrgreen: I'm hitting the practice circuit, so I have that going for me. :wink:
- Brian -

My Gallery

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

Yeah, its tough to beat the old geometry Al, but I think my OIN is almost dialed, another good week running against the modern stuff.
I decided to go with the longer wheel base which put me at the exact length as the new stretched worlds chassis, and added the b4 shocks front and rear, and that also helped alot.
More pics on the way!

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

Well here are some pics of the current setup; extended wheel base, annod truck tubes, and b4 shocks.
And on a side note, I had a really awesome time at the track this weekend running my OIN build and it got alot of attention as always. I was pulling it off the track when someone came up to me and said "thats an awesome car" and as I turned to reply, it was Gil Losi Jr. and I was like.... wow, youre Gil Losi :) He was cooler than cool, and chatted with me while he looked over my OIN. He made some really interesting comments, saying; back in the day alot of team guys ran the truck nose plate and longer wheelbase like I was running, he also talked fondly about how the RC10 was his very first project in the industry while driving for Associated and you could tell how much love he had for Roger Curtis and the rest of the AE crew. Sadly, he said that a Lipo fire recently at his house had destroyed most of his vintage stuff, but he was glad to know the community was still going strong for these classic rides. I didnt want to take up all of his time, so I headed back to the pits, but not before I scored a sweet siggy on my goldie. CHECK IT OUT!
BTW, if you are ever in SoCal, check out West Coast RC Raceway, you'll never know who you might see there! On the same day I also pitted next to the prettiest driver in RC, Ronda Drake! :)

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

that's figgen awesome!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Awesome Jared! x2 on pushing it out to the second set of noseplate holes! Very cool to see your car getting so dialed in too. You and JK up there seem like you are representing up there pretty well! Keep the posts coming. I wish more of the OIN type builds would get run and stay updated with various modifications that happen as stuff breaks and what works and what doesn't. I like a good color coordinated anodizing as much as the next guy, but here's to worn out parts and a thin coating of clay dust! :D
- Brian -

My Gallery

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Great story! I hope to have mine ready again to run soon. And trust me, mine had a good layer of clay dirt and plenty of scratches on the body :D.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Jared, you shooting for Saturday or Sunday this week? See if we can meet up again and do some running.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

JK Racing wrote:Jared, you shooting for Saturday or Sunday this week? See if we can meet up again and do some running.
Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

I will be there both days hopefully....... the nationals series starts on Sunday, so I would like to get some practice on the new layout before hand.
Just PM me or text me anytime Joey!

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Very cool! 8)
Keep us posted on your progress.

foots
Approved Member

Post by foots »

Kudos on trying the long wheelbase. It never made sense to me to widen out a RC10 to B4 specs without stretching the wheelbase to match the B4 (worlds
). I have mine set up the same way but still waiting on Gens Ace shortys to hit our shores before I hit the track. Yeah My B4.1 worlds might be for sale real soon!

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

always cool to run into r/c "royalty" when your just out mobbing and practicing at a local track...ive met gil losi jr as well at sdrc,wcrc and even once at hotrod hobbies. ive also had the honor of pitting next to the drakes at hot rod hobbies...they are both very approchable pro drivers and represent their brands well and as long as they are not super busy prepping for a main or something at a big race they are always willing to give some tips. cant wait to get my stuff on the track...i have a time problem..not enough of it to get out and race at the moment but hopefully soon. you have given me a few ideas jared so thank yu for letting me get my rig back together only to tear it back down again :lol:
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

More parts! LOTS MORE PARTS!

Also managed to score a couple neat trucks and my very first B2!

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

GoldRush wrote: you have given me a few ideas jared so thank yu for letting me get my rig back together only to tear it back down again :lol:
LOL. Sorry bro, and you're welcome!
You should try and join me and JK for some run time at WCRC!