TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R/Cat
Approved Member

Re: TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:It's the sport tuned Tamiya motors. You'll get it when you register for the class
OK, thanks.

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

I've got another question for ya's...
Will there be transponders for rent?
Between paying for entry fees, buying new tires, and spending a few days down there, and also wanting to get new LiPos... I'm going to be all out of cash, and I don't actually have my own transponder.

I was hoping I could rent one, or maybe I could arrange to borrow one from a fellow enthusiast here :)

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

The track has house transponders that you can use.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:The track has house transponders that you can use.
Good to know. I was wondering about that too. I've been doing a little reading up on transponders. Is it true that you have to drill a hole in the body or chassis to mount them and that they have to be plugged in to the extra "batt" slot on the receiver? If so, I'm wondering if that is a problem for certain cars where accessing the receiver requires disassembling half the car as is likely the case with mine. What do racers do?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Well yes you normally drill a hole in the body and it attaches using a body clip. Those ones do not need a power source at all. The ones that plug in to a battery or your receiver are the personal transponders that you buy and own. House transponders are shared by others racing so you get put it on your bossy before you race and then return it to it's charging rack as soon as your done so someone else can use it. If you don't want to drill a hole in your body, you can make a transponder mount out of scrap Lexan and servo tape it to your servo or chassis like this (for example):

http://rcdriver.com/transponder-tactic/

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

[quote="Erich Reichert"]Well yes you normally drill a hole in the body and it attaches using a body clip. Those ones do not need a power source at all. The ones that plug in to a battery or your receiver are the personal transponders that you buy and own. House transponders are shared by others racing so you get put it on your bossy before you race and then return it to it's charging rack as soon as your done so someone else can use it. If you don't want to drill a hole in your body, you can make a transponder mount out of scrap Lexan and servo tape it to your servo or chassis like this (for example):

OK, cool. So I don't have to plug the house transponder into my receiver...what a relief! Thanks for the link. I think I'll make one of those mounts if I can find a spot to install it. Going to check now. Do you know the approximate dimensions of the house transponders? "bossy"???...lol

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

They're about 1.5x1.5 and about .5 high with a body post sticking out of the top.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

More sponsors for this year!

Tamiya has been a loyal and awesome supporter of the Vintage Nats every single year and this year I'm proud to announce that they are sponsoring the Novice Class! They're all

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:More sponsors for this year!

Tamiya has been a loyal and awesome supporter of the Vintage Nats every single year and this year I'm proud to announce that they are sponsoring the Novice Class! They're all

Wow, great news and it sounds like we should expect no less as I'm sure they're aware of the loyal Tamiya contingent that show up to most of these events which includes myself.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Erich Reichert wrote:They're about 1.5x1.5 and about .5 high with a body post sticking out of the top.

ok, thanks. I saw a pic of some online that were exactly as you described so now I can fab a lexan mount.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Plane tickets purchased!

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Brandon G wrote:Plane tickets purchased!
Exciting, for sure! After almost attending but having to miss last years event due to an unexpected scheduling conflict, I've been anxiously awaiting this year's VONATs. I thought my willingness to drive 2 hours, 15 minutes was dedication but any of you guys willing to get on an airplane to attend deserve some serious credit and are truly committed to the cause. :)

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

R/Cat wrote:
Exciting, for sure! After almost attending but having to miss last years event due to an unexpected scheduling conflict, I've been anxiously awaiting this year's VONATs. I thought my willingness to drive 2 hours, 15 minutes was dedication but any of you guys willing to get on an airplane to attend deserve some serious credit and are truly committed to the cause. :)
Haha, we where two guys that came from Sweden last year. After 2 hours I was still at the local airport. Then 8 hours 30 min flight to NY. Then like 3 hours by car to get to the house where we stayed. Then around 1 hour drive to the track. Vintage racing is awesome ;)
Cheers
Joel

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

j0pp3 wrote:
R/Cat wrote:
Haha, we where two guys that came from Sweden last year. After 2 hours I was still at the local airport. Then 8 hours 30 min flight to NY. Then like 3 hours by car to get to the house where we stayed. Then around 1 hour drive to the track. Vintage racing is awesome ;)
lol...I know, as far as I'm concerned you guys are legends, for sure! I might be willing to drive further and further for these races if I enjoy the VONATs this year but I draw the line at getting on an airplane in order to go. I've been watching a lot of the 2013 VONATs videos on youtube (checked out the Kyosho Tomahawk(?) one of you raced too) and was thinking of you guys when I wrote that response. You going this year?

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I have a set of Proline Ions I could use, has anybody had success with them at Wolcott?