Worlds biggest Vintage-meeting!

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Worlds biggest Vintage-meeting!

Post by Eau Rouge »

Meh... more track time means more chance to break something for me. :D I'm gonna have to find a LOT of spares. lol

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Eau Rouge wrote:Meh... more track time means more chance to break something for me. :D I'm gonna have to find a LOT of spares. lol
Nah. As long as you run an RC10 the only thing you'll need are front hub carriers. :mrgreen:
"The things you own, they end up owning you."

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Erich Reichert wrote:
MOmo wrote: It would be exciting to create a whole new nostalgia class for those vintage cars, not just the RC10, but tamiya, losi, kyosho and traxxas.

Hmm, how can we get on the ROAR committee for Vintage, or, even create rules for Vintage? How many people are still racing vintage cars, or at least running them?
Psst, ROAR has been asking me the same question. I thnk they may want to be part of the race on some level even if just for nostalgia's sake.

Hey Erich, i want in on that process! Pick ME Pick ME!!!

I'll happily PM or Email you my thoughts on everything that needs to be set for Vintage class.

MOmo

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

bormac wrote:Its great news to hear others around the globe puting on vintage buggy events like this. I am part of a group of guys over here in Australia who have been supporting the vintage scene here. In 8 weeks we'll be racing again in the 2nd annual Sydney/Ryde vintage race meeting. Its good to have some differnet classes and the cap off date should be around the 1990 mark though.
The Yatabe Arena vintage rules state the suspension and gearbox must be from 1989 or earlier. Here in the UK we also have an organised vintage race series http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/yorkvintage/ and we also stick with a 1990 cutoff. Maybe 1994 is a bit late, 1990 keeps out the Losi XX, Cougar 2000, Schumacher CAT 2000, Kyosho Lazer ZX-R, Yokomo Works 93, Tenth Technology Predator, etc and restricts it to the early cars - makes 2wd an RC10 walkover :D

And the biggest vintage meeting in the UK is the Tamiyaclub Spring Drive. The last one had 150 people attend, yet there is no racing involved at all - we just hire the track and have a weekend long bash.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The rough lines on the yatabe rules are these: transmisson has to be of pre 90 design (= marketed)and the suspension arms too.
You can come up with a total original design that was never produced back then as long as it confirms to the above( at least I think so, better be so: cause I build one already;) )

It's all about common sense though: you see aku's early dogfighter that's been converted from chain to beltdrive is allowed; probably because there were plenty belt drives by the end of 1989.

I say keep the stakes low and there will be less discussion on what's allowed and what not. Give out those prices in raffles and the race winners get a little trophy plate. More fun for everyone.

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

The pre-90's rule is quite tough on associated cars. An ultimate car would be a 6-gear graphite car, no stealth trans? I say go up to pre-95 give me the stealth and don't be afraid to take on the XX :D
Old school racing all the way!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

What about a "first iteration" 2wd pro car rule...

Meaning, original ultima/RC10/JRX series?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Ohh, things become complicated now ... :mrgreen:

Out of personal interest: would a pre-1990 rule ban the Worlds Car Chassis? :?

As for the Yatabe rules. It seems that they have some kind of minimum weight rule as I found some pics on Time Tunnel showing a 2 kg Graphite Team Car!

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

OMG! It really is taking shape!!

You guys are driving me nuts knowing I won't be able to make it. :evil:

LOTs of pics PLEASE!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
*** POWDER - KING ***

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I was just giving you guys an idea of the rules, nowhere implying to take them as an example or use the same cut-off age.

I was hoping you'd pick up on the Keep the stakes low for more fun" rather than on these example rules.

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

I tried to translate the Yatabe site/rules and it seems that they are quite strict in fact. Maybe a possible ROAR class should start with straightforward regulations and than they can start from there if any problems occur.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Rules smules!!! I say nothing after 1990, plaques to all the winners (racing and static) and all the cool stuff goes to door prices. The racing should be competitive but for bragging rights only. It should be fun over anything. But that is my 2 cents and I am not a racer. So I don't see the comp side of it. I want to go have some fun and maybe run Scr8p off into the grass a time or two. :P
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Tadracket wrote:I want to go have some fun and maybe run Scr8p off into the grass a time or two. :P
oh................ you'll get enough chances. i'm sure i'll come up to lap ya more than once or twice. :wink: :P :lol:

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

sweet ... trash talking 5 months in advance ...
Classics rule, moderns drool

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

rules are really the point here... this isn't the IFMAR worlds... it a fun time watching old cars live again. Ever see the vintage races at Laguna Seca? Sort of like that. My vast racing experience of 20 years has proven one thing and one thing only... the more rules you make the more issues, drama and BS you create with it. Hence the relative simplicity of this race... my main of objective was to give as many people as possible the opportunity run what they brung. In years to come my plan is to organize it out into for example 80's 2wd and 90's 2wd, etc. As the participation grows, as will the race but for now keeping it simple is IMO the best bet to start off with. There's always next year to expand my friends.