Bolink Eliminator Super 10 '91 Sport Restoration/Rebuild

The place for all things BoLink.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kcal
Approved Member

Bolink Eliminator Super 10 '91 Sport Restoration/Rebuild

Post by Kcal »

Here is the Bolink I picked up off of the bay and have decided to restore. I do not know the exact model and if anyone has instructions they could post or PM to me I would greatly appreciate it. Also any advice or information you may have to share would be enjoyed as well, thank you in advance.

Kcal
Approved Member

Re: Bolink Restoration/Rebuild

Post by Kcal »

Sorry I seem to have a picture posting issue.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

hey Kcal here are your pics for you. this bolink is from the Eliminator series. its called the "Bolink Eliminator Super 10 '91 Sport On-Road". here's the info i have on it.
This step-up from the ELIMINATOR '91 sport is loaded with many special features. The SUPER SPORT 10 '91 uses the standard ELIMINATOR front suspension and kingpin brace for precise steering. The rear end has a special shock dampened rear pod. Other features include a stainless steel rear axle, ball type diff., adjustable wing, low profile tires, and a wind tunnel tested clear body.
the instructions are most likely the exact same as the ones that came with the basic eliminator. looking at your pics the front kingpin brace is missing. other than that it looks complete.

now even though i don't have the eliminator instructions i do have the instructions for the shocks. they include an exploded diagram of the shocks. i have posted a smaller copy of them in the scans section but will send you a full size copy in case you want to print it out.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Lowclasscc,

Thank you so much for posting the pic's any idea what I was doing wrong as I tried to post them the same as I would to an email?

As for the missing king pin brace any pic's or an idea of where I might find one and what I am looking for?

Thank you for the offer of the shock instructions I found them here and used them to rebuild the shocks, I was more looking to verify that the car was assembled correctly and that I am putting her back together properly. I have been working on the car for a week or so off and on but figured I would start the thread from the beginning share my expierences and ask the remaining questions that I have.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: Bolink Eliminator Super 10 '91 Sport Restoration/Rebuild

Post by LowClassCC »

here is the eliminator super sport kit pic. it shows the front kingpin brace installed. keep your eyes open on ebay for one. other than that i don't know where you would find one. the good news is that bolink used black fiberglass and not carbon fiber. you could just pick up a piece of black g10 and make one yourself pretty cheap and easy. please note that not all eliminator's used the kingpin brace. so your car may not have came with it. but the only ad that i could find using that chassis does in fact have the kingpin brace installed.

bolink made hundreds of variations of their cars. but the base cars stayed the same. so its not always easy finding out which one was which.

here is a scan of the add i have for the chassis that you have.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

It looks kind of like I have the Chassis and front end of one and the shocks and pod off of the other would you say the brace is just installed under the e-clip and washers and held up by the front springs? I have seen more then a few of these cars on the bay but this is the first time I have been introduced to the front brace. I was also able to post some more pics here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074151 Again thank you for the ad's they are very helpful.

The fiberglass parts were cleaned in hot water and Palmolive with a tooth brush then Lacquer thinner was used to remove the old double stick tape. The chassis was then lightly sanded and the edges super-glued, I know this is done to strengthen them on carbon fiber chassis cars but I do not know if it is and or was done on fiberglass but I assume so, so I did that as well. All of the fasteners are and were SAE 4-40 threads with countersunk heads and are still available from Associated although the diameter of the head seems a bit smaller. The AL pod sides were sanded with 400 grit paper on a glass table to help flatten them out and then received the same steel wool treatment until they looked much improved. The Bolink white O-rings in the shocks and the plastic spacers were replaced with Associated parts and I also replaced the seals around the body of the shocks with fatter O-rings as I have not yet been able to locate the proper thinner ones. On the front end the kingpins and shafts were polished as well with steel wool and loaded in my econo-lathe (cordless drill) all of the aluminum parts that are able to be chucked received the same treatment. Pic are on the above thread.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Lowclasscc thanks for the resizer link!
Attachments
cars 010 (Small).jpg
cars 009 (Small).jpg
cars 008 (Small).jpg
cars 007 (Small).jpg
cars 006 (Small).jpg
cars 005 (Small).jpg
cars 004 (Small).jpg
cars 001 (Small).jpg
cars 002 (Small).jpg
cars 003 (Small).jpg

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Some more before pic's with regards to making the chassis look a bit fresher what is the best way to do that? I did try the sharpie method but I did not like the results is there anything else that may work?
Attachments
cars 015 (Small).jpg
cars 014 (Small).jpg
cars 012 (Small).jpg
cars 011 (Small).jpg

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

These pic's are as she is coming back together I have been unable to find a copy of the instructions so if you notice any errors please point them out so they may be corrected, the painters tape was to mark for a new servo mount hole. And I do not know if the ball studs are politically correct but I prefer them to Z-bent wire as I feel they offer less slop.
Attachments
cars 027 (Small).jpg
cars 026 (Small).jpg
cars 025 (Small).jpg
cars 024 (Small).jpg
cars 023 (Small).jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Something I just noticed, the old Bolink pod with the "recessed" T-plate is just like the new (last year) KSG Gen-P (our nickname for Pete D'agnolo) that took the factory mod & 19t sportsman classes at the Snowbirds--

Where would the "highwinder" ever get the idea??

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I have a Bolink Eliminator 10 manual if you need it.... just PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it through. It's a 1.7Mb .pdf file, so I can't add it to the scans archive :oops:

It is just the 10, and not a Super 10 '91.... so no front kingpin brace....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

There are Associated 3.0" turnbuckles cut about .125" per side in the front and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to build a silky smooth and fast rear end?
Attachments
P1040890 (Small).JPG
P1040889 (Small).JPG
P1040888 (Small).JPG

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Incredible_Serious is right, judging by the white plastic and no kingpin brace, this is a basic Bolink Eliminator 10. Great build so far. I'd like to freshen mine up too.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Incredible_Serious completely hooked me up and I am about to ask if he minds if I get his info posted. Yet I have to ask why don't y'all come by and race a bit its a beautiful car and the weathers fine.................

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Kcal wrote:Incredible_Serious completely hooked me up and I am about to ask if he minds if I get his info posted...
Go for it matey.....
Kcal wrote:Yet I have to ask why don't y'all come by and race a bit its a beautiful car and the weathers fine.................
Would take you up on that, except for the 15+ hour plane trip :( :(

Glad to help guys...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!