RC12i Kit

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Drusky
Approved Member

RC12i Kit

Post by Drusky »

Hello all.

This is my first post on rc10talk. As such I would like to thank all of you for the opportunity to join the discussions here. It's nice to have a common interest like this uniting folks across the globe. I will be browsing from South Africa.

I have recently put in an offer of $190 on an old RC12i kit. The seller says the kit is unbuilt, does not include body or electrics. It does not have the front shock mount which was an upgrade for later models.

Does anyone know if bodies for these cars are still available. The body shape on the box is very attractive.

This is a pic of an identical looking box I found on the web. Look at the curves on that lexan body :)
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/M3mph1sKyle/For%20Sale/P6300147.jpg

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: RC12i Kit

Post by a01butal »

That particular body is the 1/12 Associated Lola T600. They do come up on eBay once in a very great while and sell for a good but so far not outrageous price. Period correct bodies do show up often you just have to be persistent in your ebay searches (TOJ was popular body bitd). The RC12i kit you are looking at is probably at the upper end of the price range depending upon which front end it comes with, if it has the monoshock front end then that is a very good price for a nib unbuilt kit. Not sure what you mean by front shock mount as the monoshock front assembly mounts to 4 holes in the front center of the chassis but would not be a big advantage as the actual monoshock front suspension assembly is rare and expensive part of the deal. Good luck and let's see some pictures.

This is all very interesting!

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

Thanks for sharing that info. It's a pity that nobody has made a plug for the Lola T600 although I think selling a copy of another man's work would not be right. Sadly the kit I am looking at does not include the monoshock assembly :/

As soon as I have the box in my possession I will take some photies and post them here. I may have a go at making my own plug using some profile pictures of a Lola as a guide. If I do, I will post the progress in this thread. I've been itching to build a vacuum box for quite some time now :D

Andrew

Drusky
Approved Member

ID the 1/12 chassis

Post by Drusky »

I thought while we're waiting for the rc12i to appear it might be interesting to ID this model. Not sure what it is. It appears to be 1/12 and is in a very sad state. Considering it cost me $1 in 1998 I can hardly complain. It seems to have been a 4wd beast at some stage. Ignore the 32P spur gear. I fitted that over the worn out spur.
IMG_6002s.JPG
IMG_6001s.JPG
IMG_6000s.JPG
IMG_5999s.JPG

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

It was and still can be 4WD.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

What a 1/12th scale nightmare! I had that car in mint conditon only missing 2 parts that yours has and could never find them. you car is a Kyosho Fantom ep 4wd car. Very hard to find them in good condition and the one you have is very rare to find at all. it is not the normal CRC Fantom.
Have a nice day! :)

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

yep that would be the one!
Have a nice day! :)

Drusky
Approved Member

Kyosho Fantom

Post by Drusky »

Thanks gents, I had thought this would be an associated machine. I'm not a greedy guy, once I have my 25 meaningful posts I will offer this in the trade forum to whom ever needs it. I doubt I will ever come across parts for a car like this and I would love to see it go towards a restoration. My only request would be that a thread be made here with detailed pictures for us to drool over. In the meantime I will have a look at cleaning it and taking some closer pics of the mechanicals and their condition.

Drusky
Approved Member

It's here

Post by Drusky »

Arrived today, I think I have a nice piece of RC history here. I wonder if I should just keep it in these little packages or build it. What would you do?
Attachments
Kydex front bumper looks like it escaped the box at some point and went for a high speed run 8]
Kydex front bumper looks like it escaped the box at some point and went for a high speed run 8]
On the left is the Rc12i front suspension pieces, on the right is the rc12is front end conversion. I thought was very kind of the seller to throw in all these extras!
On the left is the Rc12i front suspension pieces, on the right is the rc12is front end conversion. I thought was very kind of the seller to throw in all these extras!
I was quite surprised at how small the box was.
I was quite surprised at how small the box was.
The extras that were thrown... for which I am most grateful!
The extras that were thrown... for which I am most grateful!
This stuff looks like it might be the actual kit. This is my first pan car.
This stuff looks like it might be the actual kit. This is my first pan car.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Nice car you have there!

Was the box sealed when you got it? Reason I ask is because of all the header cards on various parts. Its almost like someone put the kit together with parts bought seperate. Either way I think you got a good deal!

Id be interested in a couple of those spur gears if they are 32 pitch and you wanted to sell or trade for them.

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

Thanks friend, the spur gears look to be the same pitch as on my old RC10. I'm sure we can make a trade. You will have to be patient though. I have not yet made 25 meaningful posts so it will be a while before I can apply for access the bst forum :)

In the meantime

The box was not sealed when I got it, all the parts seem unused except for the front bumper. I think that there are some original kit parts mixed with replacement parts. For example there are two rear axle packages with thrust bearing, diff rings, spur gear etc. In one pacakge the axle is dark and solid, in the other package the axle is hollow and shiny. I'll think for a while before I build the beasty, if I build it. I had been looking for old RC10Ts and RC10 buggies when I came across the RC12i.

Hah the dark axle as it turns out is a light-weight mod. It is carbon (thanks Alex). The other is perhaps stock. Was the stock item hollow or solid... I should really think about reading my manual :lol:

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

What's been going on with your RC12i? Haven't heard anything after you posted those sweet mouth watering pictures of all the stuff that came in the box. What did you decide about the body?

This is all very interesting!

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Yeah Yeah Yeah i could use some of those parts those pics are still dancing in my head :lol: :lol:
Ryan