Tamiya Buggy Champ - finished pics 8/22/09

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Tamiya Buggy Champ - finished pics 8/22/09

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I figured I'd start a new topic for my buggy so it doesn't get lost in the "Exciting news" thread. I'm not done yet, but I'm getting there.

I wasn't looking forward to trying to find one of those weird little batteries that Tamiya says you're supposed to use with this kit, and I didn't want to get any hump packs. Basically, I didn't want to have to buy batteries that I can only use on one of my cars. Also, the plastic tub is cool for nostalgic reasons, but it just didn't seem like it would be very practical when it comes to running the car. So, I took a piece of aluminum sheet and made a new electronics tray that will hold a 6 cell stick pack. The servo is in the same place and I replaced the bent skinny rod with a straight, heavier rod, I think it is a Clodbuster part. I used the existing holes in the chassis to mount the plate, and used spacers and nuts to put it up high enough to clear those suspension bars.

I also decided that I didn't really like the stock bumper. It's just too big. I saw some simple aluminum bumpers on ebay and thought "I can do that". I made a spacer out of Kydex so the screws holding the front uprights would clear, then just cut another piece of aluminum and bent it. Pretty simple and it looks better than that huge stock bumper.

More to come. Here's some pics.
Attachments
DSCN5185.JPG
DSCN5184.JPG
DSCN5183.JPG
DSCN5182.JPG

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Buggy Champ

Post by shodog »

You know this is downright blasphemy. The radio crate is one of the things that makes the Buggy Champ so bitchin. How are you going to be running this thing on the beach and splashing through water with your freakin jubblies all hanging out in the open. :lol:

Luckily I for me I made up a few hump packs because this isn't Tamiya's only vintage pony that needs one to run on.

What color are you plannning for the body?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

shodog wrote:You know this is downright blasphemy. The radio crate is one of the things that makes the Buggy Champ so bitchin. How are you going to be running this thing on the beach and splashing through water with your freakin jubblies all hanging out in the open. :lol:
:lol: Ain't no beaches in Bushwick Brooklyn. Trust me, I've looked. :lol:

I agree, the plastic box is cool as heck, but it just didn't seem practical. Besides, I'm never able to leave anything stock, especially anything made by Tamiya.

Not sure on the color yet. I'm leaning towards blue, maybe with some white. I thought about doing a few different sponsor bodies, Hawaiian Punch, Skoal (again) or a few others, but the decals don't really fit the body very well. It's still all up in the air right now. I'll prime the body tomorrow and pick something out on Monday. I'm really liking this little buggy. It's nice to have something that is fun, but not at all toy-like. This thing is almost like a functional piece of jewelry. I do want to get it some aluminum wheels, not sure if I should get one piecers or the outer rim kind.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

MelvinsArmy wrote:...Besides, I'm never able to leave anything stock...
I hope many others will follow and make custom builds now this material is available again 8)
May I suggest you countersink the screws on the bottomside; since you're not gonna run just beaches ;)

vanpeebles
Approved Member

Post by vanpeebles »

Hey good work, thats pretty cool. The radio box is weird to me, its strange how its pretty loosely fitted and the servo is just taped too. Seemed a bit of a bodge to me when I built mine.

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
shodog wrote:You know this is downright blasphemy. The radio crate is one of the things that makes the Buggy Champ so bitchin. How are you going to be running this thing on the beach and splashing through water with your freakin jubblies all hanging out in the open. :lol:
:lol: Ain't no beaches in Bushwick Brooklyn. Trust me, I've looked. :lol:

I agree, the plastic box is cool as heck, but it just didn't seem practical. Besides, I'm never able to leave anything stock, especially anything made by Tamiya.

Not sure on the color yet. I'm leaning towards blue, maybe with some white. I thought about doing a few different sponsor bodies, Hawaiian Punch, Skoal (again) or a few others, but the decals don't really fit the body very well. It's still all up in the air right now. I'll prime the body tomorrow and pick something out on Monday. I'm really liking this little buggy. It's nice to have something that is fun, but not at all toy-like. This thing is almost like a functional piece of jewelry. I do want to get it some aluminum wheels, not sure if I should get one piecers or the outer rim kind.
Hey, how's it going. I see your from Brooklyn. I am in Queens. It is great to see that someone in my area is on this site and better yet into Old school rides like me. Maybe one day we can meet. Let me know.
I like your current rendition of the Rough Rider. It looks like it will run well. Keep up the good work. I have a few aftermarket ones but have noone to run them with. Maybe that will change- :D 8)
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Ed, I doubt I'll be countersinking the screws on the chassis. I don't have the proper tools, and since this is hardly a racer, or anything close to a high performance machine, I don't really see the need. The Brooklyn concrete should smooth them out real nice. :lol:

Steve, cool! We should meet up some time and run our cars. It's always more fun to run with someone else.

Well, I got the paint done this weekend. I'm pretty happy with it. Its got enough flaws in it to keep it from winning any contests, but that's okay I won't be afraid to drive it. Still got to finish painting the driver though, he's giving me a hard time. Once I get him into shape I'll post some finished pics, then hopefully some action shots too. 8)

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

how much does one of these go for? im getting ready to shoot one of these at the end of the week or weekend in house of kolors paint and i must say i like the body design
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Okay, the Buggy Champ is done. I haven't had time to run it yet, but at least it's finally finished. The paint job was inspired by Bobby Allison's early-mid 80's Miller Buick Nascar. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Attachments
BuggyChamp.jpg
BuggyChamp2.jpg
BuggyChamp3.jpg

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

Very nice job there. I like the paint scheme.
Is that the new or old body shell?

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

Nice job Melvin!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks guys. 8)

Steve, this buggy is 100% new.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Tamiya Buggy Champ - finished pics 8/22/09

Post by scr8p »

looks great, scott. so, is it heading to the nats?

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Thanks guys. 8)

Steve, this buggy is 100% new.
Yes now taht I had a chance to take a closer look. I see it iss the newer buggy. The lights, the shocks give it away.
Can't wait to see it live and in livng color..

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Buggy Champ - finished pics 8/22/09

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Jason, not sure yet, maybe to display. I've got to do some work on my LXT, i really want to race it. If I can't get it running this year (again, yeah I'm good at procrastination) then I'd say there's a chance this buggy will be sporting a lexan body and getting some track time. 8)