Free Web Page help?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MONSTER
Approved Member

Free Web Page help?

Post by MONSTER »

Ive had a Free Geocities Web Page for my Paintball Field for several years, but Geocities is about to shut down. So, I need another site. I Googled Free Web Hosting and went to one of the Sites, but it wouldnt let me Copy & Paste from my old site. I REALLY dont want to REwrite everything I have on my Site. Can some of the Internet/Computer Gurus here help me out with some suggestions, advice, links....? I only have until the 26th.

Thanks in advance.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Re: Free Web Page help?

Post by soniccj5 »

I have not used my geocites page in ages, but I would like to keep it.

I was able to perform a full backup of my site using wget in Linux.

example:

#wget -r http://www.geocities.com/ejeepnc

If you do not have access to a Linux host I could backup your page and send it over.

ED

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

This one is really easy to use and you should be able to cut and paste http://download.cnet.com/Web-Page-Maker/3000-10247_4-10213459.html?tag=mncol best of all you get a month to build a site for free...

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

angelfire.com is one
godaddy offers "free" hosting if you buy a domain for $8.95 usually

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

I definately need FREE Hosting. But I wouldnt mind a One-Time fee. I'll check out Go Daddy, but almost dont want to cause of their damn stupid aggravating TV Commercials. :lol:
Any other suggestions still WELCOME.

SPEAK of the frickin devil. As soon as I posted that, the one with the cop pulling over a Go Daddy Girl came on. Threw up a little in my mouth.... :lol:

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

DAMMMIIIIIT!!! Try 2 different Hosters (couldnt find anything Free on Go Daddy), and canNOT figure out how they work. Dont remember Geocities being this hard. Running out of time!!!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Would a facebook/myspace page work? They are free.

Or you could build a small Linux machine running Apache, then host your own site.

You would need a dedicated internet connection that would not block port 80 along with a registered DNS name.

ED

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

soniccj5 wrote:Or you could build a small Linux machine running Apache, then host your own site.

You would need a dedicated internet connection that would not block port 80 along with a registered DNS name.

ED
Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!! If you tell everyone it's that easy, then they'll all have their own sites. :roll:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

you will not find an offer for a free hosting package with godaddy. you buy a domain through godaddy first. then log into your account. then you will see the free goodies you get with the domain and one includes free hosting. if they told you that you get free hosting with a domain then it would be alot harder to find a domain that someone wasn't using lol

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

soniccj5 wrote: Would a facebook/myspace page work? They are free.
ED
Hadnt thought of that, as a temp solution anyway!! Field already has a MySpace too. It'll do til I can figure out another Site. Thanks ED!!
LowClassCC wrote: you will not find an offer for a free hosting package with godaddy. you buy a domain through godaddy first. then log into your account. then you will see the free goodies you get with the domain and one includes free hosting. if they told you that you get free hosting with a domain then it would be alot harder to find a domain that someone wasn't using lol
Ahhh, I see, said the blind man. Doesnt sound too bad. I'll check it out again. Thanks LowClassCC

And also, Thanks to everyone else who posted. Let me know if anyone has anything else to add. I DEFINATELY need ALL the help I can get on this subject. :oops:

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

i just wanted to add this.

go ahead and back all your files up to your hard drive. then worry about the new host. if you get a new host and then go to find out that geo has shut down a few days early for some explained reason someone will not be very happy.

when using a host like angelfire or geocities keep in mind that they edit your html files for their popups and ads. you will have to go in and remove all of this added code. you will also need to correct links to pages and images as needed. once this is done you can just upload the files to any host with any domain name and it will work for ya.

i have done this with a few old sites i have backed up of mine and some for friends. it is a pita but only cause it takes time to do it all.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

LowClassCC wrote: when using a host like angelfire or geocities keep in mind that they edit your html files for their popups and ads. you will have to go in and remove all of this added code. you will also need to correct links to pages and images as needed. once this is done you can just upload the files to any host with any domain name and it will work for ya.

i have done this with a few old sites i have backed up of mine and some for friends. it is a pita but only cause it takes time to do it all.
I would have NO idea how do this. Probably wind up having to just do a whole new site. Its not like its a very complicated site, I just hate all the typing. Probably need to do it all new anyway. Havent changed it in YEARS.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

make a blog, its free, easy to use, requires no design skills and easy to update with just posting, www.blogspot.com

its a google company. u can use picasa to host up to a gig of pictures for free. any questions i can help ya out with it.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

mikedealer wrote:make a blog, its free, easy to use, requires no design skills and easy to update with just posting, http://www.blogspot.com

its a google company. u can use picasa to host up to a gig of pictures for free. any questions i can help ya out with it.
Another good idea!! MAN I love this site!! Should change the name to RC10talkandanythingelseyouneedtoknow . com. 8) :lol:

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

i agree on a blog but im one that tends to shy away from sites like blogspot and such (not that i have anything against them).

a free wordpress (blog script) is another freebee that's offered on godaddy. i'm not sure if that is offered with paid hosting or the domain name though. you may have to pay for hosting to get the free wordpress blog site set up but i'm not 100% sure. also as you already know even the larger free website hosts come and go over time. paid hosting costs are not anywhere as expensive as that once were. and you site will do a lot better in search engine rankings if you have your own domain name.

back to the aspect of a blog. a blog is a great way to go for a lot of websites. weather you want the site to be static or interactive a blog can do it. out of the sites i run they all use wordpress as the base. probe registry is a static non interactive site that users can submit a form with registry. while the ky probe owners site i run is a wordpress front with a matching forum also added on. then turn to my username dawt com and net. the are both standard blogs that are also used for photo blogs and don't allow comments. while my dawt org site is becoming a huge blog / photo blog housing everything that don't have to do with cars or r/c. this site allows comments to be left for the posts unlike the others.

in the end a blog can be molding into anything you want it to be. ford.com uses a modified wordpress blog for their site also to give you an example of a highly modded blog.

how many pages is the site you want to back up? pm me a link and if its not too big i will back it up and clean up the code for you but it may take a little time to get it done.