knock,knock.....

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SUPERDAD
Approved Member

knock,knock.....

Post by SUPERDAD »

Hello guys. After many months of being a (I hope) welcome guest I'm off the bench and in the game. I am usually not one to join in but y'all seem to be having fun with it and I'm up for that! I bought my first 10 used around '87. Had a lot of fun play racing with my buddies. Then more people joined in, formed a "club" and ruined it. Put all my stuff in boxes and forgot about it when marriage and kids came along. Two years ago my oldest son said he wanted a "real" rc for his birthday,"like your old ones dad". Bought him a really nice T3 off the 'bay. Comes with everything but a charger. No problem,got a couple in my old stuff. Started looking through all my boxes and,well,you know....... :wink: In retrospect, would have been much cheaper to buy a new charger :lol:
"Sometimes in life, you ain't gotta like it. You just gotta do it." Quote from my own SUPERDAD. RIP 5/10/14

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Welcome to the "real world"... New batteries and old chargers don't seem to mix too well... :(

OTOH new chargers are pretty darn affordable, and do all kinds of cool stuff like charge Lipo's, NiMh and old NiCds. :wink:

Also, welcome to the forum! :D

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Hi SUPERDAD, it's a great forum with some amazing builders and some mind blowing knowledge. :shock: I'm sure you will be made to feel extremely welcome. :D
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

welcome to the board. :D

Sharkman
Approved Member

Post by Sharkman »

Super dad, DITTO 8) Welcome!
Dan

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

welcome. Same thing happened to me and my Son. Now I have a RC10 im building up, a new 1/16 nitro car and my old hot trick car from the 80's.. all in the matter of a month lol

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Welcome dude to the crazyness of rc10s,DON 8)

SUPERDAD
Approved Member

Post by SUPERDAD »

Thanks guys. Hope we all share a lot of useful info (and laughs!). Temple, I had no problem with the charger, a Novak DC powered peak detection( a real pimp daddy in 1988). Worked fine with the 1500 nicad that came with the truck. You see, after around 15 years I could not remember which box had the chargers in it. So, I went through all of them and it brought back memories of the fun I had. Then the :idea:'s started. it wouldn't take that much to get these going(famous last words). Imagine a 12 year old with good credit and a platinum card(that would be me!). "But honey, this is something me and the kids can do together" to which I got :roll:, better than :evil:. NiMh, 3300,3800, charge rate, discharge rate, cutoff voltage, delta peak,etc. are well known terms now. And don't forget to cycle them! They seem to like that a lot more than a NiCad.
"Sometimes in life, you ain't gotta like it. You just gotta do it." Quote from my own SUPERDAD. RIP 5/10/14

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

yea my old 4 amp peak charger from 86 works great on the new batteries I have too..

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

welcome.

ive only been here for a bit.. but ull find everyone very helpful, friendly, and with almost scary knowledge.
live through ur childs eyes.. remember the times u got your first "real" car. its 15+ years and all of us here are still holding on to that feeling and memories.

viva the good ol' days. where the air is always filled with the smell of tire compound

ok back to my corner. sorry
RC10 Team

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

This is funny... I read my own strory through your words..... I experienced the same! As a teenager I had a AYK bobcat in the 80's and could not pay for parts to fix it... eventually I forgot about it until my son asked for a Radio Scrap car. Then I told my wife I would fix my bobcat and play with him.... Went to the local hobby shop (that was around 2003) and then discovered that AYK had been long out of business.... :oops:

I then discovered ebay :D and I falled back into the hobby more than ever... I now own more than 25 RC, several AYK, RC10 and various custom trucks... my son is just getting interested now!

Welcome to the board. I'm also relatively new here but I read it every day! Its a great bunch of people...

atomic-carbon
Approved Member

Post by atomic-carbon »

Another new member here :wink: i have been lurking here for a long time, and i thought it was time i signed up and join in.

I am still hunting for a nice RC10 Graphite, but she will be mine :D

Also if people need carbon fibre parts making i maybe able to helpout.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

atomic-carbon wrote:Another new member here :wink: i have been lurking here for a long time, and i thought it was time i signed up and join in.

I am still hunting for a nice RC10 Graphite, but she will be mine :D

Also if people need carbon fibre parts making i maybe able to helpout.
that is a real nice carbon tub on your site.
Would you be able to make a simple straight sheet but with about 20 degree kick\up in the front?
All you guys wellcome by the way 8)

atomic-carbon
Approved Member

Post by atomic-carbon »

Can be done but you would need a mould making with the kickup in it, a mould costs into the region of £250 :cry: then the cost of laying up the carbon fibre fabric onto the mould, so i basic sheet would be in the region of £70-£80 plus the one off cost for the mould.

They are awesome but don't come cheap.

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Hi Jonathan!

This is Sebastian from Germany. We mailed a few times regading your Slim-4 you showed on Chris Doughty's site.

Cheers

Sebastian