Hi all from a new member *** w/pics now ***

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

amuse

Hi all from a new member *** w/pics now ***

Post by amuse »

Hi all, i've been lurking around the Yokomo forum for a couple of days since i scored a YZ-10 a few days ago. i've been getting so much useful information from members' post that it's a little overwhelming but i am sure i can digest them all, just need a little time. So i refrain myself from lurking in other forums like Kyosho and Schumacher as the Yok restore is biting quick and hard and will keep me busy for a long while.

Well, a little information about myself. I started RC back in the 86 or 87 and my first car was the Turbo Optima Mid, with the LWB Conversion kit added when it became available. Shortly after that, i asked my dad to bring me back a YZ-870C from Hong Kong when he went back for business. I didn't actually build that kit since i sold it to someone at my local track shortly after the kit arrived. I did eventually bought a lightly used one from a close friend of mine a few months later. i remember back then my mom would buy me all these Chinese RC magazine that was imported from HK and reading from cover to cover and especially true whenever they showed pictures of Masami's Yok and try to copy some of the mods that he did to his car. I have to say, this site with members like all of you brings back so much memories that i couldn't even find words for. I stopped this hobby twice, first one was after the 870C, then another Yok brought me back and that was the YR4-M2. I stopped again about a year after. This last start was a few years ago with a Serpent 960 plus some a few other cars i currently adding to my collection since. Re-owning the 870C was always a dream of mine since i sold it, even more so than trying to re-own the Mid for some reason.

As to the roller, i am not sure the exact condition of the roller i picked up but from the pictures it seems to be in good shape. i would post a pic for you all to see but it was taken down by the seller when he marked the post sold. I didnt want to bother him with sending me pics so i'll just wait until the car arrives in my hand before posting any pics.

I will post some post some pics of the couple of YR-4s and the current cars that i own in a few days.

Sorry for the long post but i just couldnt stop since all of you are like close friends since we all have one thing in common.

Thanks in advance for all the help that i will be getting from you guys!

Wilson

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Hi all from a new member

Post by shodog »

Congrats, it will be only a matter of time that you'll be adding more cars to your stable.

amuse

Re: Hi all from a new member

Post by amuse »

Thanks, here are the pictures of the two 870C I will attempt to restore. They are not in that good of a shape but everything seems to be there and hopefully some parts can be cleaned up and reuse.

Also, if you guys can help ID them, that would be great. Both came with the Team Associated body (forgot the name). I am guessing the one with the red shocks are the first gen due to the backbone on the chassis and no top deck since the 870C i had have the same layout. The second one with the top deck I am really not sure about what version that is.

thanks
Wilson
IMG_7139 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7138 (Medium).JPG

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: Hi all from a new member *** w/pics now ***

Post by bscotti »

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you have a couple nice Yokes. They should clean up pretty nice. You are correct, the first one os the earlier model, the 870c. The second one looks to have a few extras on there. Might be a RPM front bulkhead and I see the YR4 and '91-'93 YZ10 steering stiffener (fiberglass part that slips under the front bulkhead cap and goes over both steering posts). I think the steering knuckles and rear bearing carriers are SRS and you might have Andy's rear arms as well.

Be careful ... Yoke collecting is addicting!
Classics rule, moderns drool

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Welcome aboard, from a fellow newcomer.

Nice YZ10s you got there. You're not too far from me, I'm in Scarborough. I have 2 YZ10s myself and they're also in pieces waiting for some parts and a nice free day. We might be able to help each other out with parts.

amuse

Post by amuse »

Brian, you have good eyes. I see RPM's logo on the front bulkhead and Andy's on the rear arm but the knuckles and the rear bearing carrier have no marking so I will just go with what you said. As for the steering stiffener, it's not attached to the front bulkhead at all. I know the piece you are talking about but on mine, it's just a bent piece linking to two post. It's made out of metal and doesn't seems like it's homemade, I'll snap a pic next time.

And yes, collecting Yokes are VERY addicting... and i want at least one RC10... oh god....

Bimdapogs, I dont have much parts at the moment since prices on eBay seems to be going pretty crazy and I am not sure my route to take on the restore. But if you need anything, let me know and i just might have it.

Wilson

amuse

Post by amuse »

I started tearing down the 870C earlier today and started cleaning some of the parts. I went and got a Mother's Aluminum Polish, and a set of attachment for my Dremel and went to work.

First piece was the motor mount which i tried some 600grit sandpaper and then the Mother's polish, a little too much work for my fingers so i tried some of the attachment I bought. I settled for the wire cup brush which seems to be doing a good job, just a little too shiny. Since i dont have access to a bead blasting cabinet, i will have to settled for this finish.

the motor mount is not finished, still have some hard to reach area needed to be cleaned up. I will need to buy pointier wire brush, hopefully i can find some.

Next i went to clean the hinge pins. I used a 3M green scrubing pad to remove dirt and rust and follow with the Mother's polished.

I've attached a few other pics to show the condition of the bulkheads from my two 870C. A set of bulkheads from one of the 870C seems to be in pretty bad shape from the corrosion, which i tried cleaning on one of the face of the motor mount and seems to look ok. Worse comes to worse, i have a NIB motor mount that i can use.

I still haven't decide if i want to restore both to it's "original" state, I am thinking of restoring one to 870C and use the rest of the parts plus hunting the rest and built a Works 91 because i really like that sleek body (Pavadis?). Sorry if i got the version wrong with the body since during that time, i was out of RC already. Let me know what you guys think.

Enjoy
Wilson
IMG_7179 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7192 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7195 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7197 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7198 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7199 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7201 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7202 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7203 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7204 (Medium).JPG

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

welcome amuse, nothing like a couple of yokomo restores to get the juices flowing. is the steering brace black anodising aluminium? if so its a rcps hop-up. i was lucky to have a beed blaster near by for my magnesium parts but yours are coming along nicely with some elbow grease. mag tanishes very quicky so id advise a coat of clear after your happy with the shine. the pavidis body is for the 95/6 buggy but basically the same anyway minis the large scoup.. keep those pics coming brother.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

There is another post in the Yokomo section on restoring an 870c. Maybe this might help.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13780

This is all very interesting!

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

I've been looking for a shop here in the GTA that can do glass beading. I can't start on my rebuild until I get the magnesium parts done.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I would try some jasco metal etch which is phosphoric acid. I just checked the MSDS http://www.stancoe.org/scoe/busserv/safety/msds/uploaded/metal%20etch%200701.pdf and it doesn't have a compatibility problem with magnesium.

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

shodog wrote:I would try some jasco metal etch which is phosphoric acid. I just checked the MSDS http://www.stancoe.org/scoe/busserv/safety/msds/uploaded/metal%20etch%200701.pdf and it doesn't have a compatibility problem with magnesium.
Apologies for my ignorance. How do this work? I did a quick search for Jasco Metal Etch on Canadian HW sites and found this:
http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I8694031/name/primer_tch_up_auto_self_etch_340g

I just don't picture the whole process. Would appreciate it if you can give us some more info.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Bimdapogs wrote:How do this work?
what you found is the primer. what I am talking about is a liquid you can pour into a container and drop the parts in. It will eat the rust off and oxidation off of stuff. I've used it for SRB and bruiser rmetal parts with good luck.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if phosphoric acid is the main ingredient, you can use coca-cola, but it might take a long time, hahhah....otherwise, any rust converter type stuff would work too, as thats usually a phosphoric acid treatment.

amuse

Post by amuse »

just want to be clear, using phosphoric acid will clean the magnesium parts from all corrosions and oxidations? will the parts be smooth like how it originally is or close to it? right now as you can see, by using the metal brush, it's rather shiny which i kinda not like since it's not how it should look like. I am not looking for near original state but somewhere close and i am no where close with my finish right now.

thanks
Wilson

add: also, where would i find this stuff? i tried searching for the Jasco Metal Etch and couldnt find anywhere that sells it. sorry but i am really not familiar with this. thanks