Color recommendations for STP body(Finished 4/23)

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Color recommendations for STP body(Finished 4/23)

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'm wanting to paint a Petty style STP body and want to know exactly what colors to use from Pactra. I have a good idea, but looking at colors on a computer screen compared to how they spray can be deceiving. I can get them thru the LHS, but they don't have every single color in stock at all times for comparison. Some of you might be more familiar with Pactra paints than me. Also if anyone knows of a good decal source. Ebay has some, but none specifically for r/c so a lot of them will be too small. Especially for a Slash shell. Most of them I can work around, but I mainly need the STP and #43. Here's the link to the Pactra color chart and a pic of the Petty car. Thanks in advance
http://www.testors.com/category/137919/RC_Car_Lacquers
Due to the Photobucket fiasco I'm just updating one completed pic here at the beginning.
Attachments
063.jpg
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Color recommendations for STP body

Post by Eau Rouge »

I haven't used Pactra paints since they switched to water-based acrylics. I used the a couple of times and had a terrible time with them. I avoid them at all costs, but that's just me.

I have some of the Autographcis decal "43" sheets and a late 80s Protoform Grand Prix waiting for that paint job and the Autographics ATP decals to turn up, and if I were painting it, I would be using Tamiya Light Blue for Lexan, and Parma Faskolor Fluorescent Red backed with white.

I have painted this scheme before, and you may have to do a little bit of color mixing to get the Dogde "Petty Blue" to be 100% accurate, but the Tamiya light blue is pretty dern close in person.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Tru Match makes Petty blue I dont were you can buy it anymore, but I know they did make it.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

By the way, I do have a couple sheets of the #43 Autographics package, so if you can find a multitude of the STP logo sheets, I'll trade you straight up for a sheet of the numbers. :)

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Eau Rouge wrote:By the way, I do have a couple sheets of the #43 Autographics package, so if you can find a multitude of the STP logo sheets, I'll trade you straight up for a sheet of the numbers. :)
That would be a deal for sure. Thanks for the help guys. I went to check out a NASCAR collectible shop at lunch, but it closed down. I don't follow NASCAR so I hadn't been by there in years. I found some that I think would have been perfect on Craigslist of all places, but missed them by a couple of days. I'd love to find them in person so I can see for sure if they would work before buying.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Pactra 28127 is a good match for the blue.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

WC1982 wrote:Pactra 28127 is a good match for the blue.
Let's assume for a minute that I hit the wall one or two times more than you would( :lol: ). Think it will adhere to the body well enough without flaking? Looks like a great choice. Thanks again Kent!
Ken

joeh51
Approved Member

Post by joeh51 »

flourescent blue and flourescent red

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

The Model Master Lacquer works good on Lexan. Just stay away from enamels.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Well, now I just need to get serious about finding the decals I need. I went with Florescent Blue because the LHS didn’t have the blue that Kent recommended and it was a spur of the moment decision to buy the body and paint it while I was on vacation this week. The blue could be a little lighter, but I think it will be fine. It’s really more of an STP wannabe than a replica anyway.
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Color recommendations for STP body(Pics added 3/30)

Well, after a long journey from Malaysia my STP stickers finally arrived. They are true vintage with the thick gummy adhesive. The 43s came from Michael’s craft store. You probably have one in your town and it’s like the Wal-Mart of crafts. Went in with my 4 year old daughter and it took 2 hours to get through because there are way too many things for a 4 year old girl to see(or a 36 year old man for that matter). They have mountains of stickers. I bought 4 sheets of number decals because they were $.49 on clearance. On a side note they have tons of wind-up toys. They had a back flipping monkey so I had to buy 2. One for me and one for my daughter. The only thing better would have been a monkey dressed as a cowboy riding a dog, but you can’t have everything. Hopefully with Petty breathing down their necks I can finish better than 3rd in the B-main; which is where I finished the last 2 Wednesdays. My hopes are that this new shell will part the field like a prom date and gain me entrance to the big dance. Then I can just hack my way to a win. Kidding! :lol: I got it into some better light too. The earlier pics caused the flash to make the paint look uneven.

Ken

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Re: Color recommendations for STP body(Finished 4/23)

Post by Toasted Coastie »

That looks fantastic! Nice job, wish I could paint....

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Looks very nice
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Thanks to everyone for their input. 8) First night out with the Petty and I made the A! Not saying it was the new body, but it definitely hightened my drive to win. TQd in the B and piped it in the first turn to fall to last! My plan was to gain the inside line and fire the Maxamps pack with all it's might down the back straight to get ahead and never look back. As usual, my terrible concentration showed up very early and foiled my plan. :roll: I fell to last of course and just tried to stay clean and make laps. 6 minutes leaves plenty of time to come back. I finished 2nd and pushed to the A. I finished last in the A, but at least I made it. I was as big of a nay-sayer to the Slash as anyone, but the spec class is the most fun racing I've ever been a part of. The trucks run dead even and it's all about set up and driving. They're fast too. Those 12 turn Titans are road warriors. The body took a few shots of course, but that's to be expected in heads up, balls out racing! I just noticed that you can see the SCR 1400s thru the windshield. All my racing stuff was downstairs so I grabbed one of them from a drawer in the hobby room to make the stance look right for the pics. Man, I'd love to run one for old time's sake, but until we go to 2 minute mains it will remain a dream. Or in my case, a "pipe dream". :roll: :D
Ken

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

congrats, I know the competition up at REO and they don't play around when it comes to racing. Just making the A should give you a sense of accomplishment.

BTW you're not Bmag on the REO forum are you? They are ripping that guy up on the REO forum, but he posts such stupid stuff he kind of deserves it. I hope all is well with your new home track after their little break in a few weeks ago.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!