Fasteners and misc parts for my gold pan runner

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Fasteners and misc parts for my gold pan runner

Post by flipwils11 »

I've noticed a few missing screws in a few areas of my car and wondered if there's a fastener assortment still available somewhere. It is probably a long shot, but I figure there are still more parts available for these old cars than I ever thought there would be.

On a similar note, I was reading through this FAQ on the Associated site and I'm not sure what area of their parts section they are referencing? "Some parts are still in stock. Go to our Parts and Accessories > Off Road section and look up the original RC10 catalog for part numbers, drawings, and pricing. " All I see on their site is a link in the parts section "early kit parts" and then do I click Pre-RC10L3O? The parts in there (like the suspension arms) don't look familiar at all. :?

RC10 tech help

One other part I'm interested in is they are talking about this ball bearing bell crank assembly in that FAQ link. "Use the original bell crank assembly #6254 and put in four of the #897 bearings." I'd like to see what it is although I already have a gold anodized bell crank and ball bearing setup on the way from a forum member here.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: Fasteners and misc parts for my gold pan runner

Post by LowClassCC »

rc10 screw kit.. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3326&P=7

it does not include the shock screws, but almost everything else is there.

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

this i a cheep place for screws and they have a good selection of anoed alloy stuff to

http://www.fastener-express.com/

Paul

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

http://67.199.85.166/main/maincategory.php?category=3010axxxxx&brand=assoc&nav=off1.10bnav
You can find the link under Support - Resources and Downloads. They have all the old kit manuals and everything there too. The gold bellcranks you have coming are probably the ones that are identical copies of the #6254 bellcranks, which are just molded in nylon. They come with 1/4 x 3/8 flanged bronze bushings, but you can replace them with bearings. It's in the World's Car manual.

It is a little curious as to what parts they still offer and what they don't. I can understand the chassis, and to a lesser extent the nose plate and motor plate, because they are probably very expensive to produce, but they could conceivably still offer the rest of the molded parts. The only big ones they appear to be missing are the rear arm mounts, rear bulkhead, rear shock tower, and tranny case(s). If they'd rerelease those you could pretty much build an entire car from scratch, except for the aluminum parts.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Thanks for the replies. Now the nylon lock nut that holds the flat spring and spur gear/diff balls together is stripped. Too many full throttle launches or just age? I didn't see that in the screw kit. Is there a more comprehensive RC10 fastener kit other than just screws?

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Is it the original 6-gear? If so http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=6629
The slipper nut for the Stealth is sold with either the spring or the thrust bushing assembly as well. It's not a 4-40 nut, that's the only place on the car you'll use them.

There is also a steel screw set for the RC10: http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=6912&category=3010axxxxx Tower has it for less than $8, not bad for how many screws you get. A pack of 6 screws of any of those sizes will be $2.00. You can get a bag of 100 screws of the same size for $4-10 online.

The nut probably just wore out with age and use; the nylon inserts get loose over time, and when that happens the nut is basically useless for that purpose. It's just a wear item, I replace them when I don't need a wrench to install them anymore (usually save them for a spot that doesn't need to be 'locked' like that).