Mod Motor

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fastang
Approved Member

Mod Motor

Post by fastang »

So whats the latest greatest brushed mod motor for offroad SC type Trucks today? If that new HPI would ever come out.

markt311
Approved Member

Re: Mod Motor

Post by markt311 »

Besides the sealed can kit motors, I haven't seen anyone running brushed motors in a long time. Once you try brushless you'll never go back. Pick up a Novak Havoc combo, they only cost about $140 for the motor and speedo. It's not uncommon to get 2 or 3 years out of a brushless motor if you treat it right. And to treat it right all you have to do is oil the bearings and keep the temps under 180.

BTW The Blitz ESE won't be out until late May/early June.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

markt311 wrote:Besides the sealed can kit motors, I haven't seen anyone running brushed motors in a long time. Once you try brushless you'll never go back. Pick up a Novak Havoc combo, they only cost about $140 for the motor and speedo. It's not uncommon to get 2 or 3 years out of a brushless motor if you treat it right. And to treat it right all you have to do is oil the bearings and keep the temps under 180.

BTW The Blitz ESE won't be out until late May/early June.

Great, so it got pushed back?

Ya, I thought about it as I went to bed and I probably would go with a good BL system in the Blitz. I race the Traxxac TORC offroad series and there is always dozens of mostly stock Slashes running around. My main goal would be to blow away all those so I 'll get the little kids asking what the heck is that? I swear they give away atleast 6-10 trucks a weekend. I saw a full size racer tell one of the Traxxas reps that he rolled his truck in practice and the rep said wait here a minute, he came back a couple seconds later and handed the guy a NIB Slash! He said here, this will make your weekend a little better! I thought about starting a conversation with the guy one weekend when I was having nothing but trouble with my race truck but I just couldn't.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

BTW, I have nothing against Traxxas. Im very greatfull for what they do for my sport. I just don't like the fact you can't run one of their competitors stickers/sponsors on a race truck. Its keeping a whole bunch of great racers out of our series.

And, I'll keep the question open, whats the best brushed mod motor these days for offroad?

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Team Checkpoint makes awesome brushed motors, something like this "Tebo Edition" 10T beast, would definitely make the kids ask what you're running: http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Checkpoint-Tebo-Edition-10T-Off-Road-Truck-Motor_W0QQitemZ260353036657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3c9e401171

...and the Checkpoint brush system gives much longer life than old-school rectangular brushes - some claim up to 40 runs before needing a rebuild.

For an inexpensive alternative, consider the Venom Fireball series of motors, they are surprisingly high quality for the price - about seventeen bucks per motor, if you buy 2 or 3 at once (with combined shipping). Something like this 13-turn double wind, would be a solid motor for a Short Course truck: http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-Fireball-13T-Double-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ370354240707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563ad53cc3

I still love to tinker with brushed motors! :D
-dldiaz

Group B
Approved Member

Post by Group B »

I used to have an old Traxxas buggy that I bashed hard (i.e. strapped model rocket engines to it!!!!), that I had no intention of putting a brushless system on, and I was thinking of putting in one of those Team Checkpoint motors, but I wound up trying one of the signature edition (aluminum endbell) Orion motors with the cylindrical brushes arranged at a v-angle to the comm.

I had nothing but problems with them: The brush leads were soldered directly to the brush guide, and the endbell would get so hot that the solder would melt and the brush lead would detach from the guide. To top it off the brushes themselves didn't last very long.
Associated: RC10T - "Baller Truck" ~ Red Bull SC10 - "Sucker Free" ~ RC10T - "Teh Shelfer"
lowrydesign celebrates the entire Tecnacraft wheel collection
I celebrate Worlds Chassis and Steering Enhancement Kits

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

dldiaz wrote:Team Checkpoint makes awesome brushed motors, something like this "Tebo Edition" 10T beast, would definitely make the kids ask what you're running: http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Checkpoint-Tebo-Edition-10T-Off-Road-Truck-Motor_W0QQitemZ260353036657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3c9e401171

...and the Checkpoint brush system gives much longer life than old-school rectangular brushes - some claim up to 40 runs before needing a rebuild.

For an inexpensive alternative, consider the Venom Fireball series of motors, they are surprisingly high quality for the price - about seventeen bucks per motor, if you buy 2 or 3 at once (with combined shipping). Something like this 13-turn double wind, would be a solid motor for a Short Course truck: http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-Fireball-13T-Double-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ370354240707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563ad53cc3

I still love to tinker with brushed motors! :D
I'm not wild about tinkering, but for me it's a cost issue. I bought a Hudy lathe on eBay for $75, and a slew of brushes on Stormer for 80 cents a pair, so I can keep brushed motors running for a while with some care.

I was looking at the Venom motors as well. They are about the only inexpensive motors I can find now with adjustable timing and bearings. I have three unused Orion Rush 19 turn motors, bought them right before I moved into my house, that I'm pressing into service. They have adjustable timing, but the endbell had a little molded tab that keyed into a slot on the can and limited it to a certain range. If you trim it off, you can adjust it anywhere you want, I'll be going down to near zero degrees for more torque and longevity (I originally did it for reversing the rotation in a Clod Buster). I have a Racetech gauge that is very handy for this.

One alternative I was looking at, before I discovered the Venom motors, was using some of the closed-endbell motors from HPI and others. They go down to 15-20 turns now, and while performance won't be that great, relatively speaking, but they should last a long time and are very cheap. Those Mabuchi-style motors are more sensitive to overheating, but they should last forever.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Sorry Ive been out of the loop, started a new job thats been keeping me busy.

As far as mods go, I have always liked Trinity SpeedGem series. Pretty sure they are still available. Recently had bad luck with the Venom series. Also look at Integy for options.

If you have deeper pockets, I have been using Banzai motors and LOVE them.
www.banzaimotors.com

Momo

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

MOmo wrote:As far as mods go, I have always liked Trinity SpeedGem series. Pretty sure they are still available. Recently had bad luck with the Venom series.
Momo
I certainly agree with the SpeedGems recommendation - real good motors.

I have, thus far, had good luck with the new-style Venom motors (the ones with the large cooling fins built around the brush hoods) - they're not so fast for their respective winds, but, decent power and efficient running.
I will update if I have any problems in the future.
-dldiaz