Postage price check ebay problem :-(

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Postage price check ebay problem :-(

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

I just bought some Pro-line Champion tires on ebay last night and woke up this morning to an invoice of $62.60, for just the shipping part using USPS Global Express Mail. I checked the website for USPS and it said that prices start at $16.25, to me then $62.60 for four tires is a bit much. :? I am only going on my past experience of post from the US and may be wrong.

As this is on ebay (I have emailed the guy politely asking for him to check the price) what else can I do if he insists on this price for postage as I'd like to protect my 100% record? :(

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That's actually pretty cheap postage. Global express is the highest cost mailing service. just a 2 pound package would be $34.50

http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_speed.asp?CID=10150&MailType=envelope&Pounds=2&Ounces=1

When you pay with paypal, they require some type of delivery confirmation which is what global express provides. I have used airmail delivery which is cheaper but provides no confirmation. Some day I will get my a$$ in a sling for using it but so far I have been lucky with deliveries getting there.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Postage. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Thanks for the link shodog. I'd already checked it out before posting here as I didn't want to go off half cocked. :)

I am just confused as I have seen posts on many other forums recently about people complaining about the high costs of shipping from the UK. I find it a bit rich when someone wants to charge me postage costs which I would normally associate with a complete car for four tires. :shock:

As for the paypal thing it's fine as I understand that on some occasions people choose a more expensive form of postage service and I am happy to go along with that in theory.

However that calculator leads me to believe that I am to receive an 11lb (or 5kgs) package which would be $63.00. :?

So as the calculator cannot give a $62.60 postage rate for that service and I don't believe that I am going to receive a 11lb package (please bear in mind it is just 4 tires) I am wanting to know where my money is going.

If my response above is a bit brusque I apologise as I am a bit pissed off. :evil:

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Re: Postage. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Post by templeofspeed »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Thanks for the link shodog. I'd already checked it out before posting here as I didn't want to go off half cocked. :)

I am just confused as I have seen posts on many other forums recently about people complaining about the high costs of shipping from the UK. I find it a bit rich when someone wants to charge me postage costs which I would normally associate with a complete car for four tires. :shock:

As for the paypal thing it's fine as I understand that on some occasions people choose a more expensive form of postage service and I am happy to go along with that in theory.

However that calculator leads me to believe that I am to receive an 11lb (or 5kgs) package which would be $63.00. :?

So as the calculator cannot give a $62.60 postage rate for that service and I don't believe that I am going to receive a 11lb package (please bear in mind it is just 4 tires) I am wanting to know where my money is going.

If my response above is a bit brusque I apologise as I am a bit pissed off. :evil:
I would wait to hear from the seller, possibly he fat fingered the calculator putting 11 instead of 1 lb. Hopefully an honest mistake.

In my experience shipping small parcels overseas, the calculated price seems to be that of a flat rate envelope, even though it is a box. Your base shipping price, Global Priority (airmail), should be either $5.25 or $9.50. Not including any additional "handling" fees added by the seller. :roll: Honestly, it's minorly inconvenient to do out of country posting (customs form, no free box from the post office :cry: ), but not $58 inconvenient...

If the seller insists that the calculated price is the shipping cost... well it better show up the same day and have that shipping price on the postage label. Let's hope the seller is reasonable and understanding rather than just a greedy bastard. I noticed that they have been in the ebaY selling business for a whole two months. I get a calculated cost to me of $7.15, so it seems that the seller has padded the shipping price domestically as well.

Also you could use plan B and request that it be shipped to one of your (RC10Talk) relatives in the US. :wink:

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Calm

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Cheers templeofspeed, thanks for your post.

I am also hoping that it will be an honest fat fingered mistake too.

I politely enquired about the postage to the seller but it doesn't stop me feeling bad because I nearly paid the whole thing as read. I just don't like to feel someone is trying it on.

Thanks all :-)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I guess I read your post wrong, i thought you were saying the postage cost was $16.25. as you say, $62.50 is way too much. He would be able to ship the tires via airmail for about $8.00 and then put insurance on it for another $7.50 that would give him a verifiable delivery

superfly
Approved Member

Post by superfly »

not sure but ron jeremy sent me a stealth tranny in a small box and it first looked like it was going to be around 16.00 to ship to canada but then he went to the post office and it was 2.50. That website calculator has issues cause i even tried it and got 16.00??? Good luck with your ebay parcel I'm still waiting for one I bought in Feb and i think she's a gonner...I think the seller is cool and will give me the money back at least but i really wanted the parts :cry:

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Cheers :-D

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Sorted it must have all been a fat fingered error because postage is now $17 which is far more reasonable.

I don't mind helping out new sellers by letting them know their postage price is inflated ;-) I am sure they sell more goods in the long run with lower postage.

Thanks for letting me blow off steam here. 8)