Storing tires

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

paul
Approved Member

Storing tires

Post by paul »

I was just wondering how you guys store your vintage tires? Is there anything special that should be done like keeping them in airtight containers?

I'm in the process of trying to restore an rc10, and have several tires that I won in a lot on ebay. I've read other places that you can treat them with pure silicone to kind of rejuvenate them. Hopefully that's not a "bad" thing to do, because I have used some spray silicone (pure silicone I believe) on the tires and have been storing them in ziploc bags. I figured I'd keep them this way until I was ready to mount them. Please post any info or advice on the subject. Thanks!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: Storing tires

Post by Jay Dub »

I keep them in zip loc freezer bags. Occasionally I treat them with armor all or some other rubber/plastic protectant. I am not sure about the silicone though, as the carriers (the solvents that deliver the silicone the locations that need lubricating) may not be good for the vintage rubber. -Jeff

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I do... nothing. :P Well maybe keep them out of direct sunlight. But I do that with the entire vehicle not just the tires.

paul
Approved Member

Post by paul »

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll just leave them in the bags for the time being. I've inspected a set that I lubed up about 3 weeks ago, and there does not appear to be any signs of damage or disintegration. I actually have one really nice set that I haven't done *anything* with.... just in case :) The ones that I've already treated will most likely be used for running, so if something does happen to them it won't be a real tragedy.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Yeah, UV rays could degrade them (happens to 4x4 spare tires that sit in the sun for years without a cover), but storing them out of sunlight should be OK. I've got some 20 year old 10T tires that feel just like they did when they were new. I think there is more plastic-like material than rubber in those older tires, so any kind of a moisturizing treatment should help.

I don't know that you have to seal them up airtight, as mine have been exposed to the air for years and years. At best in plastic Sterlite containers which seal well but aren't airtight.

nsr250_repsol
Approved Member

Post by nsr250_repsol »

+1 on Zip-loc bags. I just keep mine bagged and boxed up. None of my vintage cars are displayed in direct sun so I have never needed to treat them with anything.
eBay ID: Nsr250_sp_repsol

shane
Approved Member

Post by shane »

I have some 20 year old tires that were never used, but last week I dug them out of storage. They were still good, but felt brittle, like they were going to crack when squeezed. I used Blue coral gel protectant w/teflon (purchased at autoparts store). This stuff is great. I sprayed the tires (insides too) and let sit overnight, wipe down and now look and feel brand new again, don't feel brittle anymore. :)

paul
Approved Member

Post by paul »

shane wrote:I have some 20 year old tires that were never used, but last week I dug them out of storage. They were still good, but felt brittle, like they were going to crack when squeezed. I used Blue coral gel protectant w/teflon (purchased at autoparts store). This stuff is great. I sprayed the tires (insides too) and let sit overnight, wipe down and now look and feel brand new again, don't feel brittle anymore. :)
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look that stuff up. I was worried that the silicone I used wasn't safe, so I have since washed the tires and they're just in bags now. I'd really like to get some kind of rejuvenating stuff on them that I knew was 100% safe. I'm afraid that the 3m silicone spray might not have been a good idea even though it said "safe for rubber". I read somewhere about the lubricants in certain sprays being detrimental to the rubber in some way. I mean sure, it says "safe on rubber", but I doubt they had 30 year old radio control car tire rubber in mind when they put that on the can.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

lets see yokohama tires and a few other tire manufacturers i am aware of have tire storage facilities in caves. the reason is a constant cool temp (local cave "squire boone caverns" stays 56 degrees year round), dark (no uv), no humidity and dry. rubber is basically rubber in a lot of cases and since that seems to be the way 1:1 tire companies are doing it i do not see why it wouldn't work for us.

now a cave is out of reach for most of us but a cardboard box and a cool basement would work well.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

ive been told to avoid anything with silicon! and that includes armoral. just like the dash in your old muscle car, dont use it on there either if the silicon dries out say hello to cracks in that expensive dash pad. i use wruth rubber care which is quite expensive but so is vintage rubber. :)

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

I was looking for information on how to store and prevent rot on foam tires, I distinctly remember someone mentioning suntan lotion.