Why all the modifications?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

peetbee
Approved Member

Why all the modifications?

Post by peetbee »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have been looking at some of the fantastic creations on here and can't help wondering why!

I can understand the ones created for nostalgia reasons, but some are so highly modified that apart from the rear bulkhead and rear suspension mounts there’s not a lot left of the original car!

These seem to have been built to run against modern cars rather than at vintage races, so I wondered why do you do it?

Why not just run a more modern car where spares & setups are readily available no matter where you are in the world?

Genuinely curious as I have a gold tub Champ Edition which I bought specifically to run at my local club’s vintage series and intend fitting a B4 slipper/layshaft, so am not immune to upgrades! :D

Synergy
Approved Member

Re: Why all the modifications?

Post by Synergy »

peetbee wrote: Why not just run a more modern car where spares & setups are readily available no matter where you are in the world?
And where would the fun be in that :wink: nothing like twonking a modern buggy with a vintage racer modified or not :twisted:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

Because because :lol:
Jerzi

PS My question should be the opposite way.
Why not modify it.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

because it's fun to run against the modern cars with a creation that's your own.

i still can't get over the fact that i run faster laps with my jrx2 then i do with my b4. go figure.

plus most of us just like tinkering, trying to make it better. that's 95% of the fun for me, the build, the racing is just an added bonus.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I used to wonder the same thing peetbee, but life is too short to ponder this for long and we must all do that which makes us happy... including the efforts of my fellow vintage brothers here as they mod their rides for whatever reason they feel. Some feel they must to keep up with the new cars, some do it because they enjoy the tinkering and it brings back their old memories of modifing their cars, and some mod just because they can :D . Whatever the reason, it is all good as we enjoy ourselves the way we see most fit with our vintage cars.

I myself prefer to run my vintage RC10 cars box stock against the RC cars of today and have no problems beating/outqualifying 95% or higher of the local sponsored and unsponsored racers with their latest and greatest stuff.
I enjoy being the supposed "underdog" :lol: with my old gold rc10 with gold shocks as well as my trusty CS2P Airtronics radio on 27mhz, and enjoy seeing that my laptimes are either close to the TQ or taking the TQ position as has already happened a few times. The look, and comments, on the other racers faces is "PRICELESS". That's money baby!
I have an RC10 B4 as well, but really do not enjoy racing with it as much as I do running my goldie, gold shocks, old tires and all!
2010_Ruffy_PaintScheme.jpg

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I like running my old black race car, but really enjoy the tinkering and it brings back a lot of old memories of modifying my cars, plus now i have the capability to do a lot more mods that i use to back then when i was a kid.

So for me is more of the enjoy of building and making parts or making other parts work on the old car, not so much for performance reasons. but some time you find some things help performance. :D

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Most of what has been said her covers it. BUT there is a sensible side to the mods. I have been recently campaigning an RC10 racer and have found replacement parts expensive or nonexistent. Rear rims are one of the biggest issue. I had tried the Thunder tiger rims for the B2/3 in the rear, and they are a good rim, but don't have the proper dimension or todays competative tires. Similar issues can be said about the front rims. So, I have converted to B4 rear hubs, B4 rear CVD's, and custom arms to accomidate. On the front I have gone to B4/T4 steering knuckles and extended axles. These mods were done out of necesity. -Jeff

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

Thanks guys, I understand now :)
I agree with a lot of the mods like the B4 slipper, the changes to run modern wheels, I guess it's the ones that left you with very little of the original car that I wondered about. I wasn't counting things that were direct replacements for the original parts (eg: RPM rear arms, etc)
I have to admit that I am on the edge of favouring my gold tub over my B4, I'm sure as soon as I get a setup I'm happy with it'll be run a lot more than I intended!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I'm with Ruffy.... its much more fun to beat the modern cars with a near stock RC10... I've been running my Worlds car in with the main 2wd class (6.5 brushless etc) The only mods are the B2/B3 MIP CVDs - which enable me to run 2.2" B3 wheels & modern tyres and the obligatory B4 slipper. The look on peoples faces when they realise i'm running a 17 year old car is brilliant! If the car was so modified that it resembled little of the original car a) people wouldn't recognise it as an RC10, & b) it gives them a good excuse as to why you managed to finish ahead of them.... you can hear the cry 'ah well, its so modified its hardly the original car'!

I can understand why people do build highly modified/custom RC10s - its taking the basic design to its limit which is enjoyable to build & to race & I respect the work & enginuity involved... but for me it then becomes a custom-built special then rather than a vintage car.

The long & short of it is that 1/10th off road car design hasn't really developed/improved as much as we would have expected in the last 20 or so years - for sure at the very top level, you would be at a slight dissadvantage running an old RC10 but at the lower club levels the difference is minimal.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

It is all about pushing the old design to its limits.

Also, in Hong Kong, they simply call it being 'itchy ass' :)