new t3 by mrp..

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

new t3 by mrp..

Post by longboardnj »

looks good [youtube]_wg7RAeJVSg&feature[/youtube]

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: new t3 by mrp..

Post by Lowgear »

Yeah I posted about it right before Halloween. :)

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=177597#p177597

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Lowgear wrote:Yeah I posted about it right before Halloween. :)

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=177597#p177597
i missed that... do you know anyone that has one?? if towerhobbies gets them for $100 i think i will need to get one

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

A thunder tiger phoenix ET-10 (or whatever the name is...) is just that - plus it stays in the family (as TT owns AE and was molding for them at the time of the T3...)

This is the good part of that "asia manufacturing is crap" thread - you can get a race-proven RTR truck for $100...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

so is this thunder tigers new gig? licensing out older buggies and trucks to other companies that want to make money off of them?

did anyone see any improvements, like the guy said, to the truck?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

littleVETTE wrote:so is this thunder tigers new gig? licensing out older buggies and trucks to other companies that want to make money off of them?

did anyone see any improvements to the truck, like the guy said, to the truck?
It's got chrome wheels :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

lol

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

littleVETTE wrote:so is this thunder tigers new gig? licensing out older buggies and trucks to other companies that want to make money off of them?

did anyone see any improvements, like the guy said, to the truck?
Did the truck really NEED any improvements, especially for the non-racer? It's basically free money, as long as the tooling is in good working order, all you have to do is just keep producing the plastic parts. The buying company will probably spec a less expensive material for the plastic, and will probably find their own sources for the metal parts like hinge pins/screws and pivot balls.

Plastic model companies are doing this more and more; reissuing models using the old molds because they are already designed and made, instead of tooling new ones. It helps fill out the current line of kits, and it also brings in revenue from smaller companies having a limited run of kits commissioned (like Model King).

With electronics production in Asia, you will go to a huge building with all kinds of components imaginable being made and assembled, and at some point each line splits to be made into a different finish manufacturer. How many of the Futaba and Airtronics and Hitech radios will have similar internals to the dozens of generic or non-name radios sold at half the price, possibly in a new case or maybe not. There is an interview online with the boss of Foxcom, who makes the iPod for Apple, and it goes into a little more detail on how their manufacturing works.

The debate can go on for a while, but it has clearly resulted in some amazing values that suit 80% of the hobbyists out there compared to 10-15 years ago. A Duratrax Evader is half the price of a T4 of XXX-T, but is more than half as good, and few buyers really need that extra level of quality that the other trucks offer for running around the park or open field. $150 versus $250+ will sway a lot of buyers, and the $150 option isn't a piece of junk that will make the buyer give up on R/C forever. If you can build a really inexpensive car that works almost as good as a full race-bred car, and it helps get more people into the hobby, I'm all for it.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Lonestar wrote:

mrp full bearings ,tt gives you bushings

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

What shocked the hell out of me was MRP just magically reappearing after being out of business for how many years?

But now I understand whats going on and that the company MRP hasn't started up again. :( Thunder Tiger just owns the name and are using it to sell their version of the T3?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

longboardnj wrote:
Lonestar wrote:

mrp full bearings ,tt gives you bushings, ae full bearings
there, fixed it for you. a full cycle of a t3 lol.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

SteveK wrote: Did the truck really NEED any improvements, especially for the non-racer?
honestly no. that truck/buggy had a great run for a good number of years. the transition from the b2 to the t3/b3's was minimal. even the b2 sport buggys were popular at the club races. with a crapload of aftermarket gear too.

... A Duratrax Evader is half the price of a T4 of XXX-T, but is more than half as good, and few buyers really need that extra level of quality that the other trucks offer for running around the park or open field. $150 versus $250+ will sway a lot of buyers, and the $150 option isn't a piece of junk that will make the buyer give up on R/C forever. If you can build a really inexpensive car that works almost as good as a full race-bred car, and it helps get more people into the hobby, I'm all for it.
agreed. if the full race-bred car is a new design it adds to the companies creditability. but when they're buying the license to an old design it just shows what they really after. just trying to make a buck instead of helping the hobby. really pathetic. especially for thunder tiger. boy i miss the old associated days. what the hell happened to mrp anyways. weren't they designing their own buggys and trucks back in the day?