Score - Traxxas Stampede +

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dg98adams
Approved Member

Score - Traxxas Stampede +

Post by dg98adams »

Hey, I just picked up a Traxxas Stampede, other than a broken steering block, it is barley used.

It's been 20 years since I ran RC10 carpet cars and Tamiya stuff (hornets, Black foot, Midnite pumpkin).

A local hobby shop had tons of parts and I really had to look thru the parts on the wall to find stock steering arms. I replaced the broken arm with a stock arm (cheap).
I picked up a RPM steering blocks and caster blocks as well as a bumper while I get used to it.

I noticed I have bronze bushings when I replaced the arm. I almost bought a set of bearings when I was down there but decided to wait to see how it ran.

I should have bought a new king pin (?) as the one I took off had a good bend, which I straightened.

I'll probably go with some aluminum stuff once I start breaking stuff.

:D

airdreams1
Approved Member

Re: Score - Traxxas Stampede +

Post by airdreams1 »

nice looking truck...
I personaly use the RPM stuff over the alum.... It will take a hell of a beating & has a lifetime garantee... The alum just bends & then your done (or on very rare ocasion brakes. but that takes an extreem amout of sped & force).
youll probably want a wheely bar too.

If you want @ some point you can get a traxxas slash chassis & extend the truck & make it handle better & stop the constant wheelys.
or they do make extended chassis for the Pede as well. & then you can use most T-Maxx sized bodies.

ricerscott
Approved Member

Post by ricerscott »

Nice find! And it is the waterproof version as well! I can't even count how many bent kingpins I've seen and replaced on those. Couple taps with the hammer and I usually reused them in the traxxas vehicles...haha I would definatly stick with the RPM upgrades over aluminum as well. Aluminum looks pretty, but its heavy, it bends, and it gets sloppy faster it seems.

dg98adams
Approved Member

Post by dg98adams »

I think when I pickup some 5x11 mm bearings to install the RPM carriers/caster blocks, I'll grab the pins/e-clips to replace the suspension screws. I also saw where I can get hardened or titanium hinge pins for the carriers.

Looking it over last night it must have had some hard front impacts (no bumper), as the junction block between the front arms has a small crack.... I know I saw stock ones at the hobby store for 3-4 bucks.

I will be running a hopped up SC10 if I have time to get serious, so this is gonna be a bashing around the yard truck. :mrgreen:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

ricerscott wrote:Nice find! And it is the waterproof version as well! I can't even count how many bent kingpins I've seen and replaced on those. Couple taps with the hammer and I usually reused them in the traxxas vehicles...haha I would definatly stick with the RPM upgrades over aluminum as well. Aluminum looks pretty, but its heavy, it bends, and it gets sloppy faster it seems.
+ the alumium parts are more expensive too so, plus one for RPM parts. Pro-line's protrak suspension kit seems like a nice upgrade also.

dg98adams
Approved Member

Post by dg98adams »

Just ordered 8 5x11 bearings.... I picked up the RPM front carriers, but I will need to pickup the rear carriers over the weekend.

The truck is a blast on the icy gravel driveway.

acerpower1
Approved Member

Post by acerpower1 »

Some aluminum caster blocks will save you some bent kingpins.
I haven't bent a kingpin since I switched.
Aluminum shock caps are also helpful if you plan on some heavy bashing.
The plastic ones occasionally pop off (at least they did for me :( )

dg98adams
Approved Member

Post by dg98adams »

I got the 5x11x4mm bearings today.

I got the front RPM carrier/bearings & RPM Casters block swapped in. Aslo changed out the rear bearings & carriers for RPM's. Broke an e-clip putting the hinge pin back in when I did the fronts, man those things are small and hard to manage with my cave-man size fingers. I also disassembled the tranny, cleaned it out and re-greased it.

I do have the modern slipper clutch, metal tranny gears and bearings in the tranny. So, now I am running a full bearing kit.

Note to self: order a dozen e-clips (I did have 2 extra).
:wink:

I had to try several different Phillips head screw drivers... it's either too small or too big or too pointy.
I'll probably swap them out with allen head bolts/nuts.

2nd note to self: order allen head bolts/nuts. I think the current Stampede VXL kit uses allen head bolts :wink:

Also swapped in a Nitro Rustler bulkhead... it was $8 cheaper than the same bulkhead for the Electric rustler... only difference was the shock tower screws... I have to replace the plastic threaded screws for Machine screws... no biggie.

3rd note to self: both caster pins were bent... I straightened them best I could, I need to replace them next time i'm out to the Hobby Shop. Is there a hardened version?
:roll:

Couldn't resist some aluminum... so this is the next thing to bolt on.

dg98adams
Approved Member

Post by dg98adams »

Got it installed, and I added front/rear aluminum upper links from Integy and Dynamite aluminum shock caps.

I just picked up a set of red aluminum front a-arms and steering blocks off eBay.