Uh-oh I finally have an RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Uh-oh I finally have an RC10

Post by Lowgear »

Well for the first time since the late 90's I will soon own an RC10 as I just won one. I received some eBay gift cards for Christmas and wanted to use them towards something special. So instead of wasting them on another impulse buy I decided to look for an RC10. I was initially going to buy a six gear but then decided on a stealth since I have some parts from a defunct DS build I want to use.

Is there anything to tell me about this one other than I assume its a Championship Edition? It appears to be in really good shape from the pictures but I won't know for sure until it arrives. After the gift cards it ended up costing me $64 shipped and you can't beat that.
RC10-1.JPG
RC10-2.JPG
RC10-3.JPG

nvxwax
Approved Member

Re: Uh-oh I finally have an RC10

Post by nvxwax »

Nice grab, I was also watching that on the Bay. Looks to be in really good shape.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... Good deal. I was also watching that one as well, but I figured I better stop buying RC10's and start restoring the ones I currently have. :mrgreen: I'm up to 16 of them in the last 5 weeks.

The wing seems really far back on that?
102 RC vehicles and counting...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

nvxwax wrote:Nice grab, I was also watching that on the Bay. Looks to be in really good shape.
I was going through my head what my plans are for it and I quickly realized that I won't be using the majority of its parts. With that being the case it won't be imperative if its in amazing shape or not which is a good thing.
THE H.P FREAK wrote:HI!... Good deal. I was also watching that one as well, but I figured I better stop buying RC10's and start restoring the ones I currently have. :mrgreen: I'm up to 16 of them in the last 5 weeks.

The wing seems really far back on that?
Wow, 16 in 5 weeks?! :shock:

The wing does look too far back now that you mention it but thats an easy fix.

I maybe paid too much for it at $150 shipped but I knew I would be getting it for dirt cheap after I applied the gift cards so I bid pretty high. It looks to me like it was built from a new kit and then not driven that much. Its hard to tell but it appears to still have the kit motor in it as well. A Reedy Mr Outlaw.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Looks like a great car. A little peroxide magic and it should look like new. One thing I have learned is to seperate the parts out into similar shades. Then some will not be over whitened while trying to brighten some of the more yellowed ones. As much as I can tell from the pictures the gearbox looks to be more ages than some of the rest. Nice Score!
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

badattitude
Approved Member

Post by badattitude »

That how I mounted my wing last time I raced, in 1989. Also had huge neon red side dams. :P

I like the look.

The side dams are not shown in this pic but this is how my car looked. :lol:
Attachments
runner.JPG
runner.JPG (61.8 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
runner.JPG
runner.JPG (61.8 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

It looks to me like it was built from a new kit and then not driven that much.
not sure about that, the nose plate looks to have been replaced and the rear tires are not original. so it may have been pieced together - not that it matters, looks like a decent car :)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

According to the "25 years of the RC10" thread the different color nose plate is correct. The rear tires look like TQ10 ones. Probably wore out the originals and put those on.

But yeah it doesn't matter because I'm not going for box stock with this one. Actually, I won't even be using 75% of it. I just figured it would be better to start with something already complete then to piece together the parts I need for the build I'm planning.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Not the color, the style - late gold pan "World's" shaped V nose. I have only seen those on late gold pans with factory black parts.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well it came today and I am very happy with it. :) So much so that I'm no longer going to use it for parts like were my original intentions. All I have to do is replace a few bits and pieces and it will be in practically brand new condition. Thats how nice it is.

Not only haven't I owned an RC10 since the 90's this is my first time seeing one in person since then believe it or not. Now I have a much better understanding of what all the commotion is about. They truly are a work of art.

I was worried what I was going to see once I opened the box as things were amiss right off the bat. The seller charged me $20 for shipping as it was supposed to be sent priority mail. Well instead it was sent partial post to the tune of $11, my name was spelled out incorrectly in marker, there was no return address, and lastly there was almost no packaging material used. The seller threw the buggy in an old previously used box with two pillow packs and thats it. How it made it from one side of the country to the other unscathed is a miracle in and of itself!

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I'd contact the seller and ask for a $9 refund for the shipping. You have proof so he cannot say he paid $20 for shipping. If he doesn't, leave him - feedback. A lot of people try to make money off the shipping. I hate that. :x
102 RC vehicles and counting...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yes I sent them a message about it right after I received the package. I would have let it slide if it weren't for the other things.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

THE H.P FREAK wrote:HI!... I'd contact the seller and ask for a $9 refund for the shipping. You have proof so he cannot say he paid $20 for shipping. If he doesn't, leave him - feedback. A lot of people try to make money off the shipping. I hate that. :x
looks like the new ebay way is a good buy it now price seems to have a crazy shipping price .. on the other hand your time and gas to drive to post office is money so i do understand charging more then just shipping price.. id like it if everything was buy it now and free shipping

as far as the buggy goes,it looks great.. dont feel bad, ebay deals just seem to suck... i just got a tamiya king cab missing a outdrive and a dogbone(could not see this in pics) .. then i won another king cab that i never got and had to get a refund from paypal..

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

Lowgear wrote:Well it came today and I am very happy with it. :) So much so that I'm no longer going to use it for parts like were my original intentions. All I have to do is replace a few bits and pieces and it will be in practically brand new condition. Thats how nice it is.

Not only haven't I owned an RC10 since the 90's this is my first time seeing one in person since then believe it or not. Now I have a much better understanding of what all the commotion is about. They truly are a work of art.

I was worried what I was going to see once I opened the box as things were amiss right off the bat. The seller charged me $20 for shipping as it was supposed to be sent priority mail. Well instead it was sent partial post to the tune of $11, my name was spelled out incorrectly in marker, there was no return address, and lastly there was almost no packaging material used. The seller threw the buggy in an old previously used box with two pillow packs and thats it. How it made it from one side of the country to the other unscathed is a miracle in and of itself!
it looks real clean and scratchless 8)
get some aluminum wheels for that thing forsure..