my yokomo mx4

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pedro
Approved Member

my yokomo mx4

Post by pedro »

Hi all

Well here is my yokomo mx4 that i finished awhile ago but seeing as i only just figured out how to resize all my pics and put them up on here i decided to do so.

This is one of the few cars in my collection i actually raced with and kept from back in the day, fond memories indeed. As always parts support was an issue over here and what you could get cost an arm and a leg but an interesting piece of Yokomo history for sure.

Anyways hope you like the pics when i restored it i painted it up in Mark Pavidis colours sort of.

Peter
Attachments
mx405.jpg
mx404.jpg
mx403.jpg
mx402.jpg
mx401.jpg

GJW
Approved Member

Re: my yokomo mx4

Post by GJW »

your turning out some very nice buggie's peter! loving the paint work, any trick part's in this build?

gary.

dros

Post by dros »

That looks better than the original mate...lovely work!
regards...steve
Attachments
IMG_1582.1.jpg

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

i now know who bought the pavidis mx-4 rig. lol

pete out of curiousity, did you mill the back part of the chassis to accommodate the arms?

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Hey Rob
Yeah my car came with a supplement instruction booklet that showed all the parts you had to file and cut and it was just a chamfer on the edge of the chassis at the very back if my memory serves just so that the arms dropped about an inch below level or so.
Peter
littleVETTE wrote:i now know who bought the pavidis mx-4 rig. lol

pete out of curiousity, did you mill the back part of the chassis to accommodate the arms?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

excellent. i was at a crossroads on what to do with that part of the chassis. either cutting the chassis or filing away that portion.

dros

Post by dros »

Rob did you see this for sale?....I new that I had seen a photo of 1 of MarkP's mx4 with the number 3 on it...and hence the impulse buy!
If it is his, I sure hope his pitman prepped the chassis, or maybe Mark was in a damn hurry to get it ready for a heat....its ruuuffffff!

Pete...were the gold cvds made for the mx4? Sorry to hijack mate...though we do get to check that paint of yours out, super job

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Hey Steve

Yep the gold cvds were an lightweight option, being alloy you would have been replacing them every 3rd heat and the 2 grams of lost weight completly worthless after you pushed wide on the first turn as the mx4 went straight ahead under power even on full lock but hey they sure looked sweet.....

peter
dros wrote:Rob did you see this for sale?....I new that I had seen a photo of 1 of MarkP's mx4 with the number 3 on it...and hence the impulse buy!
If it is his, I sure hope his pitman prepped the chassis, or maybe Mark was in a damn hurry to get it ready for a heat....its ruuuffffff!

Pete...were the gold cvds made for the mx4? Sorry to hijack mate...though we do get to check that paint of yours out, super job

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Whoa :shock:, nice rig Peter!! And I read the original car is here too? :shock:

kenooze
Approved Member

Post by kenooze »

This Pavidis shell looks like the one used by Mark in 1999 during the IFMAR Worlds in Finland. On his MR4BC/MX4 Yokomo protoype car. Jason Ruona remember especially this car, as checking his shocks settings on the pit table, and breaking the rear shock tower. Mark broke many of them too, but on the track ...

dros

Post by dros »

thankyou for the info, when I received the car I really had my doubts about the originality of it, the shell...well it seems like it.
It does have interesting shocks though. The chassis well......... :shock:

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

dros wrote:Rob did you see this for sale?....I new that I had seen a photo of 1 of MarkP's mx4 with the number 3 on it...and hence the impulse buy!

i saw it on it rctech or rcuniverse. i can't remember. but i pm'd hairymuffen about it, and he told me i missed it by seconds. hairymuffen was telling me that it was at the yokomo factory and i think he bought off his friend. or something like that.

some of these guys build a lot of the same rigs within the year. depending on the races they're attending. or because the old one got tweaked. i know some factory drivers that get their cars from the factory have some kind of contract or agreement to give the cars back after the race or what ever. so you know there's another chance of running into another rig of his somewhere else. this is the second time i've come close to getting a world champs car. matt francis being the other.

i noticed it was ruff as well. but it's good to hear that you got it. you planning on rebuilding it? or finding the other 2 blue turnbuckles that was missing, and putting it up on the shelf? i would keep it the way it is. just to see what the car went through. but that's just me.

those cvd's were an option by the way. i think they were standard on the rare mx-4 worlds hirosaka replica.

dros

Post by dros »

Thanks for the info very helpfull. Im not really concerned with the legitimacy of it and have no reason to doubt the guys story, he was vey
helpfull indeed and supplied a healthy amount of goodies on house. I will probably clean him up, the turnbuckles are just blue ae items by the look.
It has enough bits of interest on it for me...ciao

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Awesome Peter.

Is this the MX4 that i raced so hard against for 3rd place at the Qld state titles. ??

I remember i was so impressed with your MX4 i almost bought one but my XX4 was too good to drive.

So nice too see your MX4 again.

Thanks
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html