Chrome / Nickel Plating Recommendations?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Chrome / Nickel Plating Recommendations?

Post by mikedealer »

I am working on a tube chassis for my cars here. i broke out my old mig last month and picked up practically the whole case of K&S Tubing from my LHS, and made myself a nice tube chassis for the B4. Soon to come i will strip down one of my original rc10's and make a tuber for that too since im still in the welding mood and my fingertips are still in tact and not burnt too much from welding/grinding lol (i hate gloves lol). im studying the one from the reader's ride section right now to see hows its layed out.

Anyone interested in purchasing something like these if i start producing them on a production basis? they are extremely labor intensive but i think i can mass produce them with the help from a friend, he would bend/cut bars, i would assemble/weld. the chasis's will look similiar to this but have side bars that stick out like a normal rc10 chassis and no shock towers are needed. Since they are pretty labor intensive i was thinking about charging $150 a peice in raw form or plated for whatever it costs me for shipping/handling.

http://www.e-customconnect.com/InetRC/Album/RC10TubeFrame2/RC10Tube2_04.jpg

Anyway, anyone have any good places to send out for plating? i like nickel plating for some reason, just gives it a nice shine i think, but will go chrome also. Any websites or contact info will be great, i will probably send out when the 2nd chassis is completed in a week or two.

Ill get some pictures up here once my digital camera is mailed back to my from olympus, flash exploded on me one day for no reason lol, mailed it back for warranty

I live in westbury long island/new york btw, any local places would be great, the few places i called kinda laughed at me and gave me $1-200 pricing

asashaw
Approved Member

i want one

Post by asashaw »

hi i live on long island also, and i would pay 150 for quality chassis work. Check out the phone book there are tons of metal guys who do chrome and nickel on the island.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya i need to find myself a phone book, problem is i went on whitepages.com and it just gives a ton of junk advertisements for plating places and sponsored links. I should drive around in the industrial area in westbury and see whats around there lol. I lost my book a while ago lol.

my welding work is very clean and sharp, the b4 chassis i made im probably going re-design a bit since it has some extraneous tubes i feel that arent needed lol.

if there is a good demand for them i would sure like to do something after work to make some money as long as there is a demand/want for these chassis. Personally i think they are amazing and a cool custom thing for rc10's not seen very often. Im going to play around with some aluminum tubes as well but from what ive seen so far the welder destroys them if i tack too long lol. alloy is harder to work with.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: Chrome / Nickel Plating Recommendations?

Post by badhoopty »

mikedealer wrote:im studying the one from the reader's ride section right now to see hows its layed out.
if you are talking about mine, other people (me and a guy named josh) put quite a bit of work into it. its a free world so do what you like, but it's common courtesy to ask before you rip somebody elses design off.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i dont plan to rip it off or clone that one by any means, you have a beautiful car there for sure and i admire the tube frames alot.

Honestly im going to build it the same way i built the b4 chassis one, from scratch off the top of my head, i have a gold chassis and body for my inspiration and will look at other designs out there just for structural and pratical inspiration. Obviously a RC10 can only look a few different ways to keep the RC10 look but im definetly not going to use your/josh's design as a blueprint by any means, hope your not offended at all, thats the last thing i want to do to anyone. I know the work that goes into these things and admire everyone's work.

Im just a guy that loves the RC10 buggys and want to see them around for a long time and keep people going with them

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

my bad, i'm just grumpy 'cause i cant finish it due to the protech body blackout...

btw, i cant say for sure since i havent seen your tuber but 150 is on the low side. most the guys who do tuber work are above 200 for even a basic build.

asashaw
Approved Member

protech

Post by asashaw »

hoopty i have a protech one, unpainted, cut out, one or two creases on back edges... you want it? heres some pictures
Attachments
DSCN3970.JPG
DSCN3970.JPG (156.11 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCN3970.JPG
DSCN3970.JPG (156.11 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCN3971.JPG
DSCN3971.JPG (161.36 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCN3971.JPG
DSCN3971.JPG (161.36 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCN3972.JPG
DSCN3972.JPG (175.58 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
DSCN3972.JPG
DSCN3972.JPG (175.58 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya i mean 150 was kinda my lowball idiot way of pricing things lol. im sure after i make 5 of them ill shoot myself and have spent 100 hours of each lol. I just placed a large order at onlinemetals.com for some tubing and rods in steel and aluminum to see how much metal is required for each and how many hours its gonna take to make them after prototyping is done lol.

the b4 actually came out nice but i had to keep things like the bulkheads and shock towers for now, im going to try and re-design it a bit. The b4 was a massive project for me since the geometry and angles and mounts needed are drastically different than a original rc10. ill try and get some pictures on my cell phone and see if i can snag them from the camera in a bit and post them up.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ill check tommorow at my LHS, they had some original RC10 bodies that i saw the other day, in the old blue letter/plain white label still. i check out what they were. I know they had a original "driver" too there. if its a protech i can pick it up for ya

asashaw
Approved Member

rcps

Post by asashaw »

if they have a rcps turbo mirage body i will buy it from if you pick it up for me...
thanks!
:lol:

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ill take a look of course and pickup and NOS bodies, but im pretty sure they just had a protech or two, ill grab em tommorow

asashaw
Approved Member

where at?

Post by asashaw »

which hobby store you talking about on the island? willis hobbies?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: protech

Post by badhoopty »

asashaw wrote:hoopty i have a protech one, unpainted, cut out, one or two creases on back edges... you want it? heres some pictures
cheap? pm me.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: where at?

Post by mikedealer »

asashaw wrote:which hobby store you talking about on the island? willis hobbies?
ya willis actually, i went there this morning and grabbed a new 6161 sidewinder body in package for $14, they either sold everything else recently or im losing it a bit lol