GREAT IDEA for MIP 4x4

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

asashaw
Approved Member

GREAT IDEA for MIP 4x4

Post by asashaw »

I have had a partial chain drive kit for like 3 years from a trade I made before I was on this site (thanks hoopty) but never tried to finish due to missing parts. Well with the popularity of this kit and the since the parts are so rare and cost a fortune, I decided to look for an alternative to my missing pieces. I have not figured out which MIP dogbone half of the CVD will be the right length, but either a vintage rc10, or B2/B3/B4 will probably work. To make this work I used the tamiya front wheels adaptors (associated part # 6862) to fit in the MIP steering blocks, and used standard flanged front wheel bearings (vintage rc10 3/16") and a 3/16" Associated Axle (#7380 - others may work). It needs a few shims but looks like a possible winner. You could also use the TC3's CVD (also 3/16" and shorter) but then you will need the super rare Legends wheels from the MIP kit (anyone have a set to sell or trade?)

Hope to see all you guys with your broken universals out there again!
Attachments
DSCN3984.JPG
DSCN3984.JPG (164.58 KiB) Viewed 907 times
DSCN3984.JPG
DSCN3984.JPG (164.58 KiB) Viewed 907 times

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Looks like it would work. you would just need to find the appropriate length CVD bone. Just an FYI, the bearings that fit that knuckle are the standard 5mmX11mm bearings

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Asa,
just fyi, but when I was doing the prototype pieces for my CVD/2.2" wheeled 870c I talked to Eustace Moore at MIP and they will make you custom length CVD's. You will have to order a minimum of 6 and I believe the charge is 80 dollars. I didn't go that route because I was able to make a B4 CVD work. One other think you'll want to pay attention to is that the center of the CVD joint is in line with your kingpin in the front, if it's not it will move on an arc when the wheels turn and hit the sides of the carrier.
One question? what size is the O.D. on those bearings you're using? they look like 3/16" by 5/16" ? I contemplated using those on my rig but was concerned they "beefy" enough, so I went with a 3/16 by 3/8" which made the bearing adapters a bit more of a pain. I'm curious to know how it goes together if those are the 5/16" O.D. bearings? Let me know.

ford.

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

shodog wrote:Looks like it would work. you would just need to find the appropriate length CVD bone. Just an FYI, the bearings that fit that knuckle are the standard 5mmX11mm bearings
yes 5 x11 but those stock bearings don't fit the 3/16" cvds axles i used. does anyone have the measurements on the length of the B2/3/4 dogbones? i don't own any of those and would like to know their length before I start buying
thanks

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

PBR Allstar wrote:Asa,
just fyi, but when I was doing the prototype pieces for my CVD/2.2" wheeled 870c I talked to Eustace Moore at MIP and they will make you custom length CVD's. You will have to order a minimum of 6 and I believe the charge is 80 dollars. I didn't go that route because I was able to make a B4 CVD work. One other think you'll want to pay attention to is that the center of the CVD joint is in line with your kingpin in the front, if it's not it will move on an arc when the wheels turn and hit the sides of the carrier.
One question? what size is the O.D. on those bearings you're using? they look like 3/16" by 5/16" ? I contemplated using those on my rig but was concerned they "beefy" enough, so I went with a 3/16 by 3/8" which made the bearing adapters a bit more of a pain. I'm curious to know how it goes together if those are the 5/16" O.D. bearings? Let me know.

ford.
thanks for the MIP custom order info. I used the flanged 3/16" x 5/16" bearing. Good question on whether they will be durable enough to handle the load. do you think you can buy 11mm OD bearings with 3/16" ID from a bearing company? that would be great...

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

not really any such thing as a metric/standard combo bearing. On my setup I used a chucking ream that was about .430" to ream out the bore in the hubs and then made my bearing sleeve adapter out of chromoly steel to sleeve the hub down to .375" so I could use a conventional bearing (stock yoke is 5x10). If you wanted to use a 5/16" O.D. bearing the sleeve would be easier to make because it wouldn't involve modifying the hub. Since the B4 axle was a bit longer than the yoke piece I made my adapter sleeve with a step in it and had it protrude out of the hub to get the length to the cross pin correct. You can see some pice of it in a thread I had up about 2.2 wheels on the Yoke.

ford.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i too have often wondered where you guys come up with some of the rare parts for these conversions when you really need them and there are none to be found. why not post a type of cross refrence list for some of the substitute parts that you guys have been using. im sure there is just some parts that cant be substitude like the front gear box parts or output shafts. how about some good sorces for replacement belts, pulleys, or sprokets are they similar to any touring car or some other 4wd car. chain is it similar to custom works because i hear they still have a ton of it. i remember sombody on here used losi xx4 steering knuckle setup that looked awesome, what parts were involved with that? asashaw mentioned tc3 cvd bones could the 200mm ones work also they are slightly longer than stock tc3 but shorter than rc-10. they might work with wide arms over the shorter arms. i know that using parts like this would not make them period correct but for people that just have partial kits that are just looking to complete one im sure that they will be up to try anything just to say hey look what i did. im sure a parts list like that would be really helpful.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

wyldbill wrote:i too have often wondered where you guys come up with some of the rare parts for these conversions when you really need them and there are none to be found. why not post a type of cross refrence list for some of the substitute parts that you guys have been using. im sure there is just some parts that cant be substitude like the front gear box parts or output shafts. how about some good sorces for replacement belts, pulleys, or sprokets are they similar to any touring car or some other 4wd car. chain is it similar to custom works because i hear they still have a ton of it. i remember sombody on here used losi xx4 steering knuckle setup that looked awesome, what parts were involved with that? asashaw mentioned tc3 cvd bones could the 200mm ones work also they are slightly longer than stock tc3 but shorter than rc-10. they might work with wide arms over the shorter arms. i know that using parts like this would not make them period correct but for people that just have partial kits that are just looking to complete one im sure that they will be up to try anything just to say hey look what i did. im sure a parts list like that would be really helpful.
yeah, when I post pics of a certain project or what not I always try to tell people what parts I used, a lot of the times though I make them or modify them extensively, and I know most people don't have a lathe and a mill out in thier garage so some things are going to be a bit of an exception.