Ultima II

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jasmar10

Ultima II

Post by jasmar10 »

So I was searching ebay for a decent price on a transmission to get my Ultima back into running condition and I came across a buy it now auction for what was listed as a Turbo Ultima/Outlaw chassis for parts. What I think I actually ended up with is a Ultima II. The chassis is marked Kelron and it has the black and aluminum shocks. I am now thinking that I bought myself another project instead of parts to fix the current project. Is it worth saving? Other than electronics it looks like all I need is whatever wheel hex's it takes, a set of wheels and a body/wing set. Is the manual for the ultima ii online anywhere?

Thanks,

Jason

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Ultima II

Post by Lowgear »

Pictures would help. :)

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

x2 on pictures. BUT, the Ultima, Turbo, Pro, Outlaw, Tracker, Outrage all shared the basic suspension and drivetrain. So your BIN car should have the tranny you were looking for and were familiar with. Pull it and drip it in your car and run. Then, start sourcing more parts to get the next one running. :D

jasmar10

Post by jasmar10 »

Ok, here is a pic of it, got it in parts now, doing some cleaning up.
Attachments
ultimaebay.jpg
ultimaebay.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
ultimaebay.jpg
ultimaebay.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I have a feeling that is an ultima truck or a has a truck conversion on it. Either way, it looks like it has usable parts or you could restore it.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jasmar10

Post by jasmar10 »

Ok, thanks for the help identifying it, that is exactly what it is, I remember looking at those in the Tower catalog back in the day. Figures I would end up with another truck when I am trying to gather parts to turn my Sidewinder into a Scorpion or at least a Scorpion look alike and my son talked me into letting him building an Ultima from all the parts I had in boxes. Is the gearing the same between the Outlaw and the Ultima transmissions?

Jason

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jasmar10

Was: Ultima II

Post by jasmar10 »

Ok, a couple of progress pictures, sorry for the blurry pics, first one is a shot of my Ultima purchased in 88 that my son has talked me into rebuilding. He wants to make it all Kyosho so I picked up a modern take out speed control from a Kyosho stadium truck off Ebay, will either use one of the Kyosho motors we have or possibly source a new one from Ebay also. The goal is to get it all together and then take it back down to clean. I have a good used shell, roll cage, wing and the aluminum top piece. Got the JG radio plate today. Need to decide if the rear shock tower from the Outlaw will work and then need to get some steering parts sorted out. Other than picking up some bulk screws from a place like mcmaster-carr what modern Kyosho cars can I source some of the screws from? No LHS around us that carry Kyosho only Traxxas, AE and HPI. Second pick has the two "parts" cars in the background.
Attachments
tresultimas.jpg
Ultima.jpg

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Hmm, one of those "parts" chassis in the background DEFINITELY deserves its own build. That Graphite chassis w/ trailing arms is from A&L, and would be VERY cool. 8) Good to see you current project moving along too though! :D

jasmar10

Post by jasmar10 »

Yea, the A&L gave up its front end, the Outlaw gave up its rear end. I thought I still had the original rear shock tower but we can't find it. When it was converted to A&L, BITD, I put all the original parts in a tackle type box but, think it was lost when we had a house fire 15 years ago. I have the LW tranny and the ball bearing steering that goes with the A&L chassis. Deal with my son was that we would both build RC10s from all the parts I had...he built his, I have yet to start. Then he decided he needed an original Ultima, same deal, he builds one, I build one....probably end up the same way with just the one but at least it allows us to spend some time together.

Jason

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I'm still working on getting my son into it. I think he's a little young for the wrenching still (9), but he does enjoy driving. I put a Lunchbox together for him, but at our first drive he took more of my RC10 than I did. So I traded the LB off, and have kind of dedicated the RC10 to him. I'm finally wrapping up an Ultima Pro for myself now, so that we can drive buggies together. If you decide to part with your A&L Ultima stuff PM me - I'd be interested in it :D Also, if your building an "Orginal Ultima" Check out Time Tunnel RC http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunnel/ - there are some really cool ones out there, especially in Japan!

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I reread, and realized you needed steering parts. Check these out:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWZ58&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWZ59&P=7

Or you can do a setup like RichieRich did on his car here:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15755&start=15

Parts list: Tower servo saver shaft, and Kyosho LA221B, 92921, and LA17. From Page 1 of Richie's build.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Hey, thanks for the props! :)

The steering setup I used should also work on the Ultima's ladder chassis. The Lazer steering I used can be configured like a stock Ultima or arranged like I did which is similar to most modern race buggies.