Turbo Optima build - Project Barney: Finished

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Some of the electrics arrived!

Post by Coelacanth »

Here are some of the electrics planned for Barney; some Gens Ace vintage-shaped stick-pack LiPos and a Tacon 11T 3200kV to bring on the brushless. :twisted:

Shoot, I just noticed the motor's currently on sale at HobbyPartz.com for $24.09, about $10 less than I paid for it 2 weeks ago! :x
Attachments
Electrics1.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Chassis mostly finished

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm pretty much finished building the chassis...a bit of tweaking here and there still needs to be done, but here's Barney, in the nude.

2 of these pics will have to suffice for my MMV 1/10 Buggy Build-Off entry, I don't have time to even mount my back-up body and haven't even trimmed & painted Barney's Lexan birthday suit, but it's coming along...
Attachments
ChassisDone1.jpg
ChassisDone2.jpg
ChassisDone3.jpg
ChassisDone4.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: MMV Challenger: Turbo Optima build - Project Barney

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Looks really great.

Too bad Trinity...er...Team Epic doesn't make a brushless version of their old "Monster of Stock" motor with Godzilla on the label...would have fit nicely on this car. :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Bump-Steer Issue Fixed!

Post by Coelacanth »

Once I got things assembled up to this point, an annoying problem appeared--whenever I'd compress the front suspension, the wheels would toe-out quite significantly...the dreaded bump-steer! I don't want Barney to handle like a truggy so I began researching ways to resolve this. Neither of my other 2 cars--CYANide and the Zebra Optima--had bump-steer, their suspension was practically perfect, so I was a bit perplexed what was causing it. The only parts that weren't direct replacements of a stock part were the GPM Lazer C-carriers. Looking at the steering knuckles from the side view showed me that Barney's knuckles were more horizontal, while the other Optimas had a significant angle.

That gave me the idea to try a fix that was surprisingly easy. I kept reading that bump-steer is often caused when the tie-rods aren't parallel with the control arms, and that was indeed the case with Barney's steering setup. I simply added a 4.8mm ball-end to the opposite side of each steering knuckle, keeping the original ball-studs there in case I ever need to change my configuration, and popped the ball-cups onto the balls underneath. Now, the rods were almost perfectly parallel with the arms...and the bump-steer toe-out was completely eliminated. I now have a slight toe-in which I hope will perform well. Certainly better than it was before.
Attachments
BumpSteer_Before1.jpg
BumpSteer_Before2.jpg
BumpSteer_Before3.jpg
BumpSteer_After1.jpg
BumpSteer_After2.jpg
BumpSteer_After3.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Custom servo mount finished

Post by Coelacanth »

I finished fabricating the servo mount today. I made it from some Axial 3mm x 6mm threaded posts, cut into 4 pieces approximately 5.3mm long. Like I did with the CYANide car, I cut out a Lexan chain-guide dust cover of sorts. Reaming out 4 holes and having them line up with the fabricated servo mount, and then with the Optima top deck's holes, was finicky work. I Goop'd the chain-guide cover on, let it dry overnight and today, cut down four stainless steel 3mm screws to between 5 - 5.3mm, just long enough to thread into the green spacers by a good 4 full turns--but not enough to butt against the flat-head 3mm screws underneath. Cutting the top & bottom sets of 4 screws was probably the most time-consuming and boring task. Cut them too short and they won't thread in enough; cut them too long and they'll hit the opposite screws already threaded in.

I also had to file down one pair of posts to get the servo mount to fit snugly, as the stock plastic part also has those areas flattened.

But, after all was said and done, it turned out great. 8) Thanks again to Jay Dub for the suggestion to use threaded posts instead of spacers, so I didn't have to use ugly nuts on the top. 8)
Attachments
ServoMount4.jpg
ServoMount5.jpg
ServoMount5.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
ServoMount5.jpg
ServoMount5.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
ServoMount6.jpg
ServoMount6.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
ServoMount6.jpg
ServoMount6.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
ServoMount7.jpg
ServoMount8.jpg
ServoMount9.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Spring Modding

Post by Coelacanth »

The green springs I managed to track down for Barney were *almost* perfect. They were the correct diameter (I wanted them slightly larger diameter than stock Kyosho Gold shock springs to beef up and smooth out the suspension) and turned out to have a nice degree of stiffness. I want this car to ride smoothly but not bottom out for anything but the biggest bumps.

There was only one problem that I figured would be minor, but turned out to be quite a complex issue to resolve. The springs (out of the bag) were much longer than necessary. Oh well, I figured I'd just cut them down to size and be done with it. The problem this created was that the cut spring ends wouldn't lay flat on the bottom spring cups, which caused the springs to bulge out at one side, and which became more pronounced as the shocks were compressed--which also allowed the springs to contact the shock bodies and rub there. (Excuse the so-so quality of the cell phone pics, I've temporarily misplaced my camera.) :x
SpringMod1.jpg
SpringMod1.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
SpringMod1.jpg
SpringMod1.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
Pic showing spring bulge:
RetainerSpacer2.jpg
I then figured I could just whip out a few needle-nose pliers and give the cut ends a few bends to straighten them out--but this just mangled and distorted the 2 spring ends I tried this on, and made a mess of things.

After thinking it over a while, I figured out what I think is a pretty good solution. I picked up some 3/32" copper tubing at the LHS and a small pipe bender. I wrapped the pipe around something approximating the diameter of the springs and cut off about 5 or 6 copper "sleeve rings". I filed down the cut edges and gently bent them in such a way to be close to the original springs' shape. I then cut off 4 ends of the opposite ends of the previously-cut-down springs, keeping the parts that have the "flats". (Wish I could describe it better, but the pics will show what I mean.)

I then shoved both ends of each spring set--the long original piece and the short end piece with the flat end--into the 4 best copper sleeve rings. With a bit of final bending and tweaking, I got both ends of the springs to lay flat. I then gave each sleeve ring 4 firm crimps with a side cutter to keep everything in place. Since each end of the spring is shoved in a full half-circle, I doubt they're going anywhere--even without the crimps.
SpringMod2.jpg
SpringMod2.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
SpringMod2.jpg
SpringMod2.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
The end result was just what I was hoping for--almost all the spring bulge was eliminated, and there's no spring/shock body contact even with full shock compression! 8)

Now that Barney has all the electronics installed & calibrated, I'm just about done the chassis...and it's time to get a body trimmed and painted soon.
SpringMod3.jpg
SpringMod4.jpg

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Looks good Marc.

Is this a runner or Show Pony????

Is that my old belt drive conversion or another one??

Cheers

Mark.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Barney will definitely be a runner! Same with CYANide. I don't really believe in shelf-queens. 8) I certainly wouldn't go to all this trouble focusing on suspension and performance-related details, or install electronics and stuff, for a shelf-queen. :P

I think your belt drive parts went into CYANide...for Barney, I pretty much did my own conversion from parts I already had...I had a new SG-25 sprocket set, a few Optima Mid belt diffs, I think your belt, I used rear gearbox halves that already had the parts modified, and made my own Lexan dust-cover. Another forum member provided the little idler gear & shafts.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

A+ for thinking outside the box Coel. Now you just need to wait 20 years for the copper to turn green! :lol:
"It's not broken, it's British!"

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

8rad wrote:A+ for thinking outside the box Coel. Now you just need to wait 20 years for the copper to turn green! :lol:
I'll have the first RC car with a patina! :mrgreen:

I could've gone with either brass or aluminum...but aluminum tubing was too soft. For some reason, I liked the copper look more than brass...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Electronics installed...

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's a couple shots with the electronics installed. Motor is a Tacon 3650 11T, 3200 kV unit and a Bullistorm 60A ESC. FlySky GT3B radio & receiver with digital metal gear servo. (I gotta replace that blue AE turnbuckle with a purple one, but I didn't have any on hand in a length that would work...but soon!)

The fan on the Bullistorm heatsink is a piece of crap. The fan blades wouldn't even spin freely. You can easily distort the fan housing with a little finger-press. I removed it & threw it in the garbage, replacing it with a same-sized Novak fan. That fan is so smooth and quiet, even compared to my buddy's EZRun ESC's, which make an irritating high-pitched whine.

I tried to minimize cabling as much as possible (cutting down the wires and reattaching the connector ends, except for the motor, you're not supposed to touch those wires). Hopefully it's pretty neat & tidy for an offroad buggy...what do you guys think?
Attachments
Electronics1.jpg
Electronics2.jpg
Electronics3.jpg

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: Turbo Optima build - Project Barney

Post by RedScampi »

That's quite a beast you put together there Marc. You've been very resourceful throughout the build. I am interested to see what body and paint will look like.
Gary

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Perfect Wing Buttons

Post by Coelacanth »

I chanced upon this eBay auction and was surprised there was no bidding activity through to the end time, and threw in a low bid. Now Barney will have the perfect wing buttons! The price was right, anyway. 8)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370582179602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

All I can say is WOW! Great ages of build there! Gorgeous ride thee Coel!
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Goatless wrote:All I can say is WOW! Great ages of build there! Gorgeous ride thee Coel!
Thanks Goatless! I'm currently vacationing in Mexico, but when I return, it'll be time to plan out the body. I only hope it turns out as good as the chassis did!