Long wheelbase

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fredswain
Approved Member

Long wheelbase

Post by fredswain »

Has anyone here ever run the nose plate in the forward position like the trucks do where the chassis is 7/16" longer? I could have sworn I did this back in the day and my friend swears we did too but I don't know of anyone else who did. Back then I didn't do anything on my own and I usually copied others (I was a kid!) so clearly someone had to be running it this way. I asked another friend who was one of the better drivers back then about it and he said that wasn't a way he'd run his car. I have also never seen pictures here of anyone running it that way.

I am converting my team car over to the world's setup and was thinking about trying it in the long configuration. This still sets the overall wheelbase just ever so slightly under that of the 22 in rear motor configuration. I suspect it would have better high speed stability and be more stable in the rough but lose some steering. Has anyone here done it and if so how did it drive?
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

transamman908
Approved Member

Re: Long wheelbase

Post by transamman908 »

The 7077 worlds front end kit recomends running the nose plate in the short position as stated in the instructions. I never tried the longer setup, so can't say how it will work.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

transamman908 wrote:The 7077 worlds front end kit recomends running the nose plate in the short position as stated in the instructions. I never tried the longer setup, so can't say how it will work.
that's exactly why he's asking ;)

All AE documents recommend to run the SWB nose holes... there might actually be a benefit running the LWB car (rc10T steering bellcranks?) on blown up tracks, or if shaky fingers ;) Maybe less performance, but more consistant lap times for average drivers... the B4.1 has a longer WB than the B4 for instance, to accomodate for the ridiculous amounts of power we carry in our modern cars ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

it will most likely handle similar to my b4 when i had a t4 chassis on it.

great for huge tracks with big straights and long sweepers, you'll loose the tight turning radius in the twisties and will have to "kick it out" in the tight turns.
my b4 flew straighter and needed less input while airborne, it handled the wash board sections better too. the only downside is tight turns are tough and you have to adjust your driving style.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

There are 2 tracks near me. The closer one to me is outdoors. It has always been fairly poorly maintained but today and tomorrow they are making some pretty big changes to it. I'm told it will be much tighter than it used to be. The other track is covered and quite large. While many 1/10 cars race on it, it is really a 1/8th style track. I suspect a different chassis layout could be beneficial at each track. The 22's love the larger track.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store