My Gold Pan RC10 buggy and I need help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

chiefin

My Gold Pan RC10 buggy and I need help

Post by chiefin »

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and i was hoping for a little help with electronics for my gold pan buggy. I've got all of the shocks and arms and everything in full working order and fabricated a servo to steer linkage. I currently have a Spektrum SR300 dsm receiver and an OK hpi stock servo from my RS4 2. my buggy originally had a Yokomo Team Associated Reedy Modified Motor currently being sold on ebay for $195 new lol (I shall not be buying that). what would be your recommendations on a motor and esc for this car. i do not have any batteries but i do still have my archer racing charger for nicad. i would be willing to move to another battery type if it would be beneficial. The car is a little dusty and dirty but i do plan on giving all of the parts a bath individually to try and get the whiteness back once i have a working setup. rather than post a bunch of pics here is a link to where i have uploaded them here http://mrselfdestruct.net/chiefin/pics/rc10/ Thanks in advance for your help. i hope you guys can't stand the thought of this car spending another 20 years in a box in my closet :(

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Re: My Gold Pan RC10 buggy and I need help

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Welcome to the club. You should definetly get that thing going again. To get the white parts back to white, fill a glass vase or something similar with peroxide, put the parts in and leave out in the bright sunlight for about 8 hours. They'll be white again. If you hang around here long enough you'll be hooked and this will become a money pit. Funny thing, my Ebay id is chiefn247. You must have the same hobby as I do.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

While I am not immune to spending more than something actual value every once and again- that motor will be there forever at that price. ( had to add that ) ;-)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

lamchee has some wicked stuff, some over priced some under. how much was a reedy mod new in the day? 100++ i thought.

enjoy getting your rc10 running :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Retail was $80. I have yet to see any of the fetch over that by much, and the generally sold for $69.95 in most shops BITD.

He has great stuff, and is a great seller.

chiefin

Post by chiefin »

yeah smoke-dog we must have the same other hobby, however i am from memphis and i think we coined the phrase ;)

chiefin

Post by chiefin »

oh on a side note tho. i dont really care to cheap out on this project work wise, but funds wise i would love to come out not so bad off on parts costs. is there a comparable motor that is not quad magnet and maybe even had wound still? i really did love that reedy. If there are any suggestions of what some of you guys would currently put on a gold pan buggy i would love to know. the hobbyking stuff scares me but it is cheap to buy. remember i do not have batteries or anything other than an old nicad speed charger. it is a blank palette if you will, but i would like to not make it so fast it would just do back flips... however riding wheelies might be nice :D

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

The motor upgrade would be limited to what turns your esc will handle.
-Kevin

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

chiefin wrote:yeah smoke-dog we must have the same other hobby, however i am from memphis and i think we coined the phrase ;)
Yeah but in Memphis, they use hickory when barbqueing hot dogs.

chiefin

Post by chiefin »

teman wrote: The motor upgrade would be limited to what turns your esc will handle.
i actually am needing both esc and motor and it would be great to know what pinion gear i need because it is the only mechanical part i will be missing.
Charlie don't surf wrote:
chiefin wrote:yeah smoke-dog we must have the same other hobby, however i am from memphis and i think we coined the phrase ;)
Yeah but in Memphis, they use hickory when barbqueing hot dogs.
actually i have never heard of such a thing lol that sounds horrible. normally its charcoal or propane grills for dogs and burgers.... although we have been known to BBQ some ribs every once in a while :D

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

You could stick with a brushed motor/esc set up at this point unless you want to upgrade you battery system. Most newer brushed esc's will run motors down to 12 turns and that will allow plenty of motor options depending on your budget and desired run time on the batteries.
The stock motor is 27x1 turns, but I think you're looking for something more powerful like maybe a 19 turn? If you like your old motor look up the specs and search for similar motor configuration.
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Pinion gears... you need to buy according to what pitch spur gear you have (thickness of the teeth/space between the teeth) since you want the spur and pinion to mesh together correctly. I assume you have a 32p spur? As for how many teeth on the pinion, that's up to you depending on if you want a taller or shorter gear ratio. A great explanation of gear ratios is on the associated website...
http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/RC10/
"Understanding Gear Ratios"
-Kevin

chiefin

Post by chiefin »

actually i was able to find a brand new replacement pinion gear to match up to the stock spur gear and it is identical to my pinion i had. i believe it a 21T 48P if that sounds correct. i do not have it in front of me at the moment. I am not trying to way overpower the car either. i do not have any battery at all currently. i only have an old functioning archer racing charger which would charge a nicad in about an hour or less. i am not opposed to going lipo possibly tho. i believe it may give me the best run time.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Cool, glad to hear you have that sorted out. I guess at this point you have to decide brushed or brushless motor & esc and nicad/nimh vs. lipo for power than buy accordingly.
-Kevin

chiefin

Post by chiefin »

how does a castle sidewinder 4600kv kit w/esc sound? with lipo...