TamiyaClub

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

TamiyaClub

Post by Eau Rouge »

How long does registration normally take? I applied for forum registration more than a few days ago, and have yet to hear anything or receive password information.

They aren't completely exclusive to Tamiya nerds, are they?

:?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

No, I would not say that they are exclusive.... not sure why it has taken that long. Shoot Chris an email and ask him what is going on. He is pretty objective and gets back to you really soon. He is a web developer, so he doesn't have "another" job that consumes his time.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

You are better off out of there.......

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Why do you say that Ed? No like I spend a lot of time there anymore (I used to).

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

mrlexan wrote:No, I would not say that they are exclusive.... not sure why it has taken that long. Shoot Chris an email and ask him what is going on. He is pretty objective and gets back to you really soon. He is a web developer, so he doesn't have "another" job that consumes his time.
Hahahhahahahaahhahah seriously you just made me laugh so hard!

From my experience the guy is a joke!

edit: I guess it doesn't really have anything to with anyone else...

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

mrlexan wrote:Why do you say that Ed? No like I spend a lot of time there anymore (I used to).
I have many reasons not to like TC...

However it has a wealth of information in the reference section and much knowledge can be acquired browsing peoples showrooms. For the most part the members are great and helpful.

I am not going to bash TC to much!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Really? I have never had a problem. He always got back to me that same day. Hmmmmmm.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What a bummer. I haven't had any problems and I've been a member since Chris started the place.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Yeah well that's what everyone says (they've had good dealings with him), however he didn't treat me like that....

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

the only problems I have with TC is their ebay posting rule and the exchange rate which makes it quite expensive to be a full member for those of us in the US.
Many there are so worried about someone else 'outing' their hidden ebay treasure, it is kinda pathetic. You can't post any active auction link which is not your own sale. I've been on boards for all kinds of topics from diecast to bmx to 1:1 vw's and everyone else posts auction links freely.
Chris is usually very responsive to getting issues resolved.
-Anthony

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I just wanted to post some cars in the gallery. :? Ah well, if he doesn't want "non-Tamiya" guys there, that's cool. I'll find another place to play.

:wink:

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I think I have clouded the issue here by laughing at other people's good experieneces when comparing them with my own (the exception).

I believe Chris is happy to include all makes of cars...

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

aconsola wrote:the only problems I have with TC is their ebay posting rule and the exchange rate which makes it quite expensive to be a full member for those of us in the US.
Many there are so worried about someone else 'outing' their hidden ebay treasure, it is kinda pathetic. You can't post any active auction link which is not your own sale. I've been on boards for all kinds of topics from diecast to bmx to 1:1 vw's and everyone else posts auction links freely.
Chris is usually very responsive to getting issues resolved.
-Anthony
I agree. The exchange rate really is rediculous. I don't like the ebay rule either.

You can put any type of rc car in your showroom that you want. I have more Associated and Kyosho cars in my showroom that Tamiya cars. :lol:

terry.sc
Approved Member

Re: TamiyaClub

Post by terry.sc »

Firstly I'll come clean. I have been involved with Tamiyaclub for some time and I moderate and supply most of the reference material on the site. The site is just Chris's personal website that was originally designed to replace Robys board as a meeting place for vintage r/c collectors.
Eau Rouge wrote:How long does registration normally take? I applied for forum registration more than a few days ago, and have yet to hear anything or receive password information.
Usually if there's a problem just email [email protected] and he gets back to you pretty quick.
They aren't completely exclusive to Tamiya nerds, are they?
Whats this they? A lot of us here are members on Tamiyaclub. The title came about because Chris collected just Tamiya cars at the time. He was never a racer so all his memories were of Tamiya cars. These days it's an unfortunate choice of title as it also attracts kids with a TT01 rather than vintage collectors of all makes of cars it was designed for.

aconsola wrote:the only problems I have with TC is their ebay posting rule ...
Many there are so worried about someone else 'outing' their hidden ebay treasure, it is kinda pathetic. You can't post any active auction link which is not your own sale.
And I'm sure you'd be happy if you found a new built Worlds Car on ebay listed as Futaba buggy going for $20 and someone posted a link to the auction here :wink: There are very few people who complain about this rule and those that do use that pathetic reason given for it, almost all understand the real reasons.

Firstly it's Chris's website and he can make whatever rule he wants. I'm on a couple of UK boards and you can't link to any other board or shop that's not on the site. Ebay couldn't even be discussed at all on Robys old board. The rule came about because there were many other reasons which had nothing to do with hiding 'precious' auctions and rather than being a bit vague over the rules depending on the type of post (actually people finding misnamed auctions would probably be allowed) a ban was implemented. You can read the reasons here
The ebay section was filled with lots of 'is this a bargain' type messages and got out of hand when threads were making fun of various auctions and sellers and members were posting links because they had found (yet another) Hornet on ebay. Unless you want to advertise an auction just about every reason can wait until the auction is over.

Chris is a fairly laid back guy and the site is considerably bigger than even he envisaged. It might seem expensive to join at the moment but all the £15 fee goes towards the running costs. Over here that's only half the price of a stock motor.

Personally I think the exchange rate is great, I can order stuff from Tower, pay the air freight, tax and duty and still save a fortune compared with buying it over here. :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The single most thing that chaps my ass about Tamiyaclub is the no live eBay links rule. The people who complained the loudest to get the ban are no longer around yet all are inconvenienced by the rule. I think it's silly when other sites like this and others allow links. In addition, the quality of the forums has dramatically dropped. I don’t post there nearly as much as I used to.