anyone into planes?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

anyone into planes?

Post by kaiser »

so anyone here fly?

i never got into it until my step mother gave me a gift card to a lhs that never has anything i want, so i picked up a little park flyer.

it's a hobbyzone champ, 20 inch wingspan, 1s 150mah powered brushed 8mm motor and a little 2.4 radio.

what a blast this little bird is. i've never flown but was able to toss it up and fly it. i've probably logged a few hours on it already.
it's tough as nails too, i've crashed it pretty hard a few times and nothing broke, can't beat it, especiallly for under 100 bux shipped to your door.

hobbyzone/parkzone/eflite are all the same for the most part, horizon owns them, parts are easy to get.

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Re: anyone into planes?

Post by tim.sanderson »

I was thinking of getting something like a hobby king Cub, or something similar. I never actually got around to it though.
It does seem like it would be a ton of fun!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

haven't yet this year, but a bunch of the guys I work with and I have built and flown(though I haven't) foam profile airplanes. The most versatile is the F22 profile, but there are a bunch.

you grab a few sheets of ABS(depron) foam sheet and carbon or balsa, a cheap brushless motor/esc/prop combo, a cheap flight radio, a cheap lipo pack, and you can fly pretty cheaply.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740049

the last model we have built was an air hogs titan, hand glider, modified for the running gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246101

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Nope, but I hear good things about the plane you bought :D Coincidentally, I was looking @ the champ last week and almost bought it on the spot. I ended buying another used buggy instead :mrgreen:
-Kevin

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

I've got quite a few planes and am also learning to fly helicopters atm.

The Electric Shock is what got me into rc planes about 5 years ago. I've had 3, what an awesome little plane.

http://vimeo.com/7298260

http://vimeo.com/7297920

My favourite plane is a small full composite hotliner. That thing is pretty insane, climb straight up to a near spec, power off, and dive past at 200+ kays with the thing whistling like mad. Geez it leaves you feeling pumped. Check out the vid below, same plane but with a bit more power than what's currently in mine.

[youtube]ViOju-8-xDk[/youtube]

I'd love to one day build a full house 5Kw+ full carbon F5B Hotliner. Those things are awesome.

Helicopters are great if you like tinkering (as with cars), but quite difficult to setup and fly. I've got a few trex 450 clones. It took me a while but then one day I just went from hovering to flying around doing forward flight circuits. Starting to play with inverted flight on the sim.

I still drive my cars for something to do when it is too windy to fly.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I have a few. I have a .25 trainer that I flew when I was 14 or so for a couple of years. I then built a .52 four-stroke Cub. I almost have my .70 four stroke P51 ready to cover. I have been working on it off and on for the last 4 years. The retract system has taken a while. When I started building these, ARF and RTF planes were un-interesting trainers so kits were the only choice. Plus I like building them. I will probably get my son an ARF though. I want to build a trubine jet but our local flying field doesn't have a long enough asphalt runway.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I don't fly now but I had to pick up a couple of Cox control line airplanes recently that I had when I was young: A PT-19 trainer and a Stuka.
Gary

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Check out parkzones website and look at there ultra micro series. The Micro sukoi flies great even in wind.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

mikea96 wrote:Check out parkzones website and look at there ultra micro series. The Micro sukoi flies great even in wind.
parkzone's t28 trojan is going to be my next plane, but the little champ actually handles light wind pretty well. i was suprised.
the ultra micros use the same running gear as the champ too. i have 8 of the little 1s 160mah 30c turnigy nanotechs so i think i'll stick with the ultra micros for a while. lol

so much fun. :mrgreen:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Anyone into RC birds?

Quite awesome 8)

[youtube]RJ02t2EMzX4[/youtube]

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

How about an RC Super Hero?
[youtube]2ktqTnwCZZI[/youtube]

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

that bird is cool. but that hotliner is insane.

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

Asso_man! wrote:Anyone into RC birds?

Quite awesome 8)
That is pretty cool.

About the closest I've been is cruising around with an eagle for about 20 minutes while flying my Easyglider. They just know where all the lift is at.

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

kaiser wrote:that bird is cool. but that hotliner is insane.
Yep, they are way fun. 8)

Here is a pic of my Mibo E-wasp mini hotliner:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

kaiser wrote:parkzone's t28 trojan is going to be my next plane
You will love the T28- it is a fantastic flying micro. It glides & flies slow very well, but has some decent speed and handling for mild acrobatics. I've flown it in a small gym/cafeteria at a school and fly it all the time outdoors, even in mild breeze.

I have a Mosquito which is cool (what twin isn't), but has a pretty fast stall speed so you need to fly it like the P51. We also have a couple Vapors/Nigt Vapors that the kids learned on as well as a WattAge Lite Stick they will be trying this fall. I have several 40-60 sized planes I flew in the 80s that I need to get from my folks' house and upgrade electronics once the kids get the bug. I have a Northeast TrainAir 40 on floats, a Piper Cherokee and a WWI Eindecker... maybe a biplane too. :roll:

Oh, we have helis too- micros (mcx, msr) and I learned on a Axe CPv3. I have a Trex 450 that a friend crashed and I need to rebuild-- I hear I will love that 100x more than my Axe.

So, to answer the thread title, yes. :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff