Team Durango DEX210

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nvxwax
Approved Member

Team Durango DEX210

Post by nvxwax »

Im not a racer but this buggy looks pretty impressive, Price does not seem to bad either

[youtube]4lo03939Dec[/youtube]

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/2011/08/01/dex210-debut-tq-1st-2nd-at-oople-invernational-2011/

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Re: Team Durango DEX210

Post by tim.sanderson »

It does have some nice features. Droop screws? About time! And the option to run a 4 gear tranny while in rear motor mode is pretty slick too.
Not impressive enough to make me replace my 22, though. (only Kyosho will have the power to do that! But it'll probably be years until a 100% new 2WD Kyosho is released. :()
It's good to see more selection in the 2WD market.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

This car is going to be awesome. It's got some really neat features. The droop screws are something that should have happened a long time ago. The big concern that applies to any new car is how durable is it going to be? Only time will tell. They took their sweet time with this car though and first showed off the concept a year before anyone even heard the name 22. The car has evolved considerably since then.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Norman
Approved Member

Post by Norman »

i was thinking of getting another b4.1 again but now after looking at the 210 i might be getting a 210 lol. my local hobbyshop is going to carry parts for them too so we shall see.
Hi. :)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

If it is anything like it's 4wd brother - the 210 will be a T A N K when it comes to durability.

Due very soon here in Aus.

cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

If i had a track around here i would be all over this car, I love cars with innovative engineering, I still might get one sometime :)

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

I'm going to have to get one of these. I may even be forced to pick up a V3 4wd. Time (read: pay cheques!) will tell 8)

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I have one of these. Except its called a 22. Even the chassis is the same color. Innovative my A*se. Looks cool though.
"It's not broken, it's British!"

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

8rad wrote:I have one of these. Except its called a 22. Even the chassis is the same color. Innovative my A*se. Looks cool though.
Well like i sad, Im not a racer but i see things on this car that are not on the 22, all company's take ideas from others, im sure the 22 is a killer car, i just like all the options this car has, but this is an "Opinion" of a non racer.

The 3gear, 4 gear, rear motor, mid motor options intrigue me lol

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

Just out of curiosity. What would be the advantage of using a 4 gear rear motor setup?
"It's not broken, it's British!"

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

8rad wrote:Just out of curiosity. What would be the advantage of using a 4 gear rear motor setup?
lol, I have no clue, Other then not having to change the motor direction i guess lol

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

motor is mirrored, so normal rotation with 4 gear rear motor configuration.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

They showed off the mid/rear motor feature on the concept car a full year before the 22 came out while Losi was silent about the development of their car so who really copied who? Using the same gearbox for either 3 or 4 gear use is definitely all new. Droop screws seems like a new idea but it wouldn't surprise me if someone else had done it at least once in the past. It has always been something that many have wished for. The front axle and rear toe adjustments are pure genious and are again ideas that no one else has incorporated (yet)

There aren't many new ideas anymore. Suspension geometries all look very much alike albeit with different arm shapes. The DEX-210 originally used a B4 front end so it would seem that the new car has the same geometry but just changed the shape of the parts. Then again they all seem to look conveniently similar now, the 22 included.

Here's what I see that is similar to other cars. The arms are shaped like the 22...oops...I mean the Cougar SV which did it earlier. When the car is in mid motor mode it can keep the rear shocks in front of the rear arms. The Cougar SV can mount them in front or behind but most people say the car handles better with them in front of the arms. The 22 can't do that. The 210 does use an aluminum chassis and that is something the 22 did first. I'm not counting the old RC10 since it was a stamped chassis of a very different design.

I like the 22. It's a very good car but don't make it sound like it is completely original. It has clearly taken many of it's design cues from other cars but of course has done some new things as well. The DEX-210 would appear to take the 22 one step further. Does that mean it is automatically better? Of course not. After all, a B4 did win worlds and it was the oldest car design in the field. Then again there were more Durangos in the top 20 than any other car.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Well as someone Signature here says, second place is the first looser, not saying the Durango is not good, i own one and also hava a 22, the 210 certainly looks great with some new cool stuff but less of the Bling (allu, where its big bro dex410 2010 specs has) ,which i belive will be sold as after market parts.

At the end of the day,he with a good hands will win regardless of what car he drives... :-)
Just imho.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Foolishly or not - Durango do allot of "open development". The original Dex410 can be traced back to 1990 - talk about a long "gestation". :mrgreen:

Being a driver that represents both companies for racing (Losi for 2wd 1/10th and Durango for 4wd 1/10th and 1/8th off road), I find it hard to swallow comments made by people that say "this company copied that company" etc etc.........Go back and look through all the vintage cars and the history of our hobby and you will see that there are almost ZERO new ideas - just the "perfection/adaption" of ideas that have been tried before. That being said - there is still "some" innovation - particularly by Durango and secondly Losi.

There are only so many ways to "skin a cat" - and if you line up ALL of the 2wd buggies, check the suspension pick-ups/location , angles, and layouts - all are VERY similar - in fact some are IDENTIACL!! The same is almost true for 4wd - with the Durango being the possible only exception at this stage - as it is quite different in its layout.

The four gear layout is more for when you are running the motor in mid-mount configuration - as it makes the car "Squat" rather than "lift" at the rear end under acceleration. (That’s a VERY simple explanation).

We have allot to be thankful for at the moment - some truly brilliant cars are available to racers - and it is cheaper to race now than it has ever been in the history of the sport. You could do worse than but your kids a Losi 22, Durango, Asso b4.1, Kyosho etc - as they are as TOUGH as nails and a long way removed from what we "put up with" back in the early 80's!! (That being said - I love how those cars made you LEARN how to set up a car and drive/maintain it).

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International