My 6016 New Build....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

My 6016 New Build....

Post by CNA75 »

I recently realised a childhood dream when I completed the build of my NIB 6016 RC10. I had a Fox when I was a wee nipper and used to drool of the RC mags at the pictures of the RC10 at the time (around 1985) longing to get one (along with the Schumacher CAT). Alas, I could never afford it so had to make do with my Fox. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Fox and I have re-visited relationship in the not too distant past by building another one from all new parts/hop-ups. However, the RC10 was the holy grail for me at the time.

Anyway, I bought a NIB kit from Ebay quite some time ago now not knowing too much about RC - it was one of the first purchases I made upon my return to the hobby. The only thing that wasn't perfect about the kit was that it wasn't sealed. Alas, sealed original RC10s don't seem to come at all these days so it is the next best thing for me. After having got to know a little more about the RC10 I noticed that the box had the Edinger address on it. I also looked in the box and noticed that the motor had the Edinger address on it. This was a nice surprise for me. Interestingly, the kit is not 100% Edinger though as the manual has the Cadillac address in it. I can think of only two reasons for this: either the seller lost the original manual and put in a new (Cadillac) one, or the kit was sold by AE after it moved out of the Edinger address into the Cadillac address. When you review the pictures below, you'll see that the car is at best a late Edinger. The tyres resemble Cadillac style. So, there's a little mystery about whether the kit was one put together over the period of AE moving address or whether the seller simply swapped some new Edinger parts for some new Cadillac parts. I like to think the former purely because I like the idea much more (not because I think it is any more real).

I should add that as part of the build I removed my (mint used ) Futaba servos and speed controller from a runner of mine - used with an original Magnum Jnr - and installed those into the car. So it is as period as I could make. I can't take credit for the paint job as I purchased that, but I thought it was money worth spending to get the true box-art look. I am going to put a matched 7 cell set of Sanyo batteries together (see pics) below to put the original finishing touches to it. I'll post pics of those (installed) once I put them together. The interesting thing about the batteries are that they were sold by Peak Performance who at the time they sold this particular set were located at the East Edinger address (see pics below). So, my car has Edinger batteries in it too :mrgreen: . This car has a special place in my heart and will be treated with kid gloves accordingly...

Anyway, enough chit chat. I hope you enjoy the pics.....:
IMG00106-20111005-1801.JPG
IMG00104-20111005-1705.JPG
IMG00105-20111005-1706 (2).JPG
IMG00101-20111005-1703.JPG
IMG00100-20111005-1703.JPG

CNA75
Approved Member

Re: My 6016 New Build....

Post by CNA75 »

IMG00077-20111005-1643 (1).JPG
IMG00081-20111005-1644 (1).JPG
IMG00084-20111005-1645.JPG
IMG00079-20111005-1643.JPG
IMG00085-20111005-1645.JPG

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

IMG00094-20111005-1651 (1).JPG
IMG00095-20111005-1651 (1).JPG
IMG00088-20111005-1649.JPG
IMG00097-20111005-1651 (1).JPG
IMG00098-20111005-1703 (1).JPG

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Nothing more satisfying than realizing a childhood dream! Congrats! Nice car :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Very nice and looks well built - Beautiful 8)
Late late Edinger, normal with the mix of address'

JamesB77

Post by JamesB77 »

Very nice car, I love the box art body :D

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Nice, where did you find the Sanyo ni-cad batteries and box art body?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks for the comments.
RC104ever wrote:Nice, where did you find the Sanyo ni-cad batteries and box art body?
I bought both on Evilpay.....

David.K

Post by David.K »

Very nice! Great job.

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

Very nice.I want to build a NIB kit someday. Like you I could never afford the rc10 as a kid and by the time I got back into the hobby they were no longer produced. One day I will have one. Great story. Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

nice car dude! :)

as for the tires...... it's been my experience through the gold tubs i've had, and what i've seen on the board, that the late edinger and the cadillac kits have the same tires. difference being, the edingers do not have "team associated" on the sidewalls.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Nice tub and cool build, I really need to get working on my box art replica since I have now every single part to build it.
Is that a body from Racer 8388 (not sure of the number, lol)?

What makes it a later Edinger/early Cadillac are the shock gaskets, I notice your have three early ones (small OD) and one later one (larger OD) on the left front shock. Anodising is already a deep orange though, no double servo saver, no large rear spring cups, gear cover looks like a repro (?), etc.

You can certainly bring it further to box art, but then you denaturate the OE kit of course...

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Asso_man! wrote:Nice tub and cool build, I really need to get working on my box art replica since I have now every single part to build it.

What makes it a later Edinger/early Cadillac are the shock gaskets, I notice your have three early ones (small OD) and one later one (larger OD) on the left front shock. Anodising is already a deep orange though, no double servo saver, no large rear spring cups, gear cover looks like a repro (?), etc.

You can certainly bring it further to box art, but then you denaturate the OE kit of course...
Yes the body is one of Steve's (Racer 88..). I have a couple of his and am very impressed with both. I especially like the netting he puts over the windows and the detail of the driver. I would have bought the Box art body from Doug (Eau Rouge) but unfortunately he stopped doing his before he got to me on his waiting list. I have the original gear cover (late Edinger/Cadillac style) but I like the transparent look so I bought this one from Steve too. It already had the removable plastic plug fitted to it.

Well spotted on the shock gaskets. The kit came with the smaller gaskets but, somewhat very annoyingly, I managed to lose one of them when I was putting one of the front shocks together (and I think it has subsequently been vacuumed up) so I had to replace it with a more recent larger one. I was quite annoyed by this as it does stand out if you know what you are looking at and it was just silly to have lost the original one. I am already looking for a replacement in the smaller older style.

The tires have team associated written on them, so it is sounding like this kit is a genuine mix of Edinger and Cadillac bits. Quite nice really. I've no intention of changing the bits to make it more Edinger like. Other than the lost shock gasket and the repro gear cover (which I could always replace with the original one I have) this build is 100% true to the kit and will stay that way. I'm very pleased with it. The experience of building it was everything I had imagined it would be.

Another observation I had with this kit was that all of the bags were labelled with small retail price stickers which had the bag number printed on them rather than being labelled with the big black bold lettering imprinted on them. The bags (whilst definitely genuine) looked like they had been priced in a groceries shop - such was the style of the small white stick-on label. Again, seems to indicate a transitional stage perhaps....

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Interesting that your bags were labelled that way as my kit was the same and it was a sealed box when I bought it as a kid. The other thing that I didn't like was the white decal sheet instead of black. I always wondered why I got white and not black.

My kit had tires without the lettering on the sides and again, I thought I'd been the victim of cost cutting or something. In any case, glad to hear you enjoyed putting the kit together, it really is a lot of fun.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

CNA75 wrote:
Asso_man! wrote:Nice tub and cool build, I really need to get working on my box art replica since I have now every single part to build it.

I am already looking for a replacement in the smaller older style.
You could always trim the older version you have...