Best motor class to race my old vintage?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Best motor class to race my old vintage?

Post by Zedmaster »

Hey guys, as I mentioned previously, I'm reviving my decades unused Team Car in hopes of having a little fun racing at the local track. I've not actually seen some of the new technology in action yet, like brushless motors, LiPo cells, etc. So my question is this, if I mean to race this car with minimal modification, in what motor class will I have a chance of competing with a brushed motor: stock, super stock, mod?

I really don't have the money to upgrade my setup much beyond some new battery tech. I've never seen a brushless motor running, so I can't really tell what's manufacturer hype, and what's real. Unfortunately I just don't think I can swing the cost of a motor AND an ESC right now, so I'm gonna have to stay brushed.

Thanks for the advice you guys given me already, this forum is awesome!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Best motor class to race my old vintage?

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

It really depends on what class is racing locally. I'd check that out before I bought anything, but you're on the right track investing in batteries before brushless. Brushless is awesome performance and maintenance free, but brushed motors still perform well if maintained properly and they look MUCH cooler. 8) I think I may have to start gluing endbells on my brushless motors. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken