XXXT trans on XXT?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aradaiel
Approved Member

XXXT trans on XXT?

Post by aradaiel »

Hey guys, I've got a couple xxt CRs. One needs a transmission and I heard one will work from a xxxt as long as I switch the rear shock tower as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. I don't want it to be a shelf queen.

jamin
Approved Member

Re: XXXT trans on XXT?

Post by jamin »

Yes, thats right. The shock tower will align exactly in the holes on the chassis, and then bolt the gearbox on as normal.

You will also need to drill a small hole in the pivot plate for the single screw that goes into the bottom of the shock tower. The XX has 2 holes, the later XXX series just has the one.

Should be easy enough to do, good luck, and post some pics if you do this - always interesting to see.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Ooooo cool, I didnt know that
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

Very cool, thanks for the help. I'm bidding on some complete transmissions on ebay as we speak. I've lost a couple because of a few bucks. Gotta love ebay.

I'll post pictures when I can.

Does the XXT motor plate work, or will I need to use the XXXT?

Doesn't matter either way, I'd rather use the XXT though, so it looks right.

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

Another question, are the internals the same? Or do I need the complete xxx transmission

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

WOW.. who would have thunk(thought) that up.. Since I'm not totally up on the 3x series, would this same method work to upgrade a XXcr buggy with the XXX tranny and tower? Also, might be worth pointing out - does this only work with cr rear end cars or originals. I know the differences between them, and in my head can think that the mod would only work on one of the configurations... I'm thinking it's the later crs...

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Same mod can be done for the buggy and truck, but yes, must be the CR version, you cant do it with the old skool pivot plate.

You cant use the XX series motor plate either, it has to be the entire XXX gearbox, including motor guard.

I am pretty sure the internals are different as the ratio of the XXX tranny is higher.

Having said that the outdrives work from XX to XXX, so the diff might be the same, just the idler/layshaft may differ.

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

I'm gathering parts to get the conversion going.

The shock towers are on backorder. My track has had them on order since august.

I just posted a WTB thread on rctech and got a couple, so I'll be able to start on it.

I also need some tranny bearings and an additional slipper setup. I might just break down my XXXTcr and do the swap to the XXT-CR, then put the new parts on it. Haven't decided yet.

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

I got the shock tower installed last night.

The rear body mount holes do not line up. The whole body will need to be moved forward.

Looks like I'll need to get another body, because I don't want to hack up my origional. (even though it's got very poor paint, I did paint it like 15+ years ago :lol: )

I'll get some pictures, I need to get a servo I'm comfortable hacking the ears off of, might just pull it from my other XXT shelfer.

I'm going to pull the trans off the XXXT, install the rest of the electronics and see how it does.

I'm going to try and see if XXXSCT CVAs work on it as well. (they're a tad shorter than the XXXT ones) The axles on the truck are in pretty poor shape.

I'll take some pictures later.

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

Ok. Got the project "Done, for now"

I'd like to say thanks for the help I've found on the forum so far.

I've got a new body coming for it that I'll paint up. In the process of doing this, I found the chassis is broken. It's on it's last leg. So, I'm looking for a Losi XXT XL chassis as we speak. I'm not going to drive it at the track until I can get some new tires and chassis. The road rage tires and RPM wheels were the ones I ran on it when I got it.

I ran into a couple things that I didn't expect. The rear shock tower body mount holes don't line up on the old body. (should have expected that)

The transmission has to be shimmed against the T-plate. I used .050" shims between the bulkhead and the motor guard. I tried to take some pictures that illustrate it, but it's pretty difficult. I'm going to ca the shims against the plate for ease.

The truck is the same as when I got it in '96 or so, other than the XXXT trans.

Here are the pictures of my "Shelfer" XXT-CR

I got it from the origional owner with manuals, hydra and everything. I installed my old electronics from my origional XXT (The one with the updated trans)

It's got some nice upgrades like Shiny mip cvd's, trinity transmission brace, RPM steering rack. I need a brushed motor for it, though.