Cougar 2000/95 - my old racer

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tuff240
Approved Member

Cougar 2000/95 - my old racer

Post by Tuff240 »

Found my favorite racer while digging through some old RC boxes last night. I smile just looking at it. Only one that raced in my area while I did. Lots of fond memories of the locals not being able to beat it with their AE's and Losi's...lol. I thought I'd paint it in the British colors just to rub it in. Hope I don't offend any brits with my shoddy hand painted flag, was good intentions. Was quite difficult to do for me.

Seen better days, maybe I should restore it. :idea:
Has a broken rear arm and would needs lots of love to make it a shelfer. Might be easier/cheaper buying a NIB one...lol

-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!

moozo
Approved Member

Re: Cougar 2000/95 - my old racer

Post by moozo »

Love it lol.....if you need something for this to restore drop me a pm chances are i have it...

Mick

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

moozo wrote:Love it lol.....if you need something for this to restore drop me a pm chances are i have it...

Mick
That's great to know.
I'd love to restore it, but I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to that that I'd essentially be replacing the entire car and then it's really not the same car in my eyes.

I guess if I replaced the broken rear arm, got new lexan bits and then just cleaned everything else best I could I'd be preserving it and it would still be shelve worthy?

So I'll watch ebay for those bits or pray someone repops them. I'm thinking the trans cover will be toughest to find? If you have any of those mentioned bits I guess I'd be interested.
-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Good to see another of these cars up here.

I dont know how these cars performed in competition back in the mid 90's but I really like them. I have built and owned all the different post 94 Cougars and I especialy like my 94 with all the carbon fibre bits.

Good luck on finding the 94 bodyset as these almost never show up. JEROEN had Schumacher do a run of these bodysets a few years back and they were snapped up pretty quick. Not sure he has any left (maybe had 15 made) but he will by far be your best bet. There weren't repops either but rather forms done from the original molds :D
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Nice paintjob that, any pics under the skin?

I'm looking for a Cougar 2000 bodyshell too, hopefully someone will do a repro soon :)

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Thanks for the lead Jason, I'll PM him when I get a chance. I am familiar with his builds, I've dreamed/drooled over each one.
A Schumacher body would be nice, but beggers can't be choosers, repop would be fine with me.

I was thinking this was a Cougar 2000 95, but now I'm not so sure. I bought it used. It came with another complete car as parts. I always thought they were a 2000/95 runner and 2000 parts, but I could be wrong. I'm sure it's a mismatch of parts by now as it saw a lot of racing. Can't judge by the body because I ordered the replacement body/undertray myself.

I have a Fireblade as well. I bought it used built with only a couple of runs. I tried to run it instead of the Cougar, but I just never could get it to handle as well as the Cougar did. I should dig it out and give it another chance. Maybe I just hated the paint job the original owner put on it. :lol:

Not much under the skin but a empty dirty old racer. The undertray seems to have been misplaced, hopefully in another box.
I'll snap a pic of it for you though CAT3K.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking back, I remember something happening to the undertray at a race and I took it off.
-Patrick

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Hi Patrick,

Please forgive me if it looks as though these pics are taking over your thread but I thought they might help illustrate the differences between the 200 and the 95.
Even though I am not an expert on this stuff I have noticed some of the changes/evolution of the Cougar2000 series. While there are a tonne of different options for these cars (mostly front arms etc..) there are 3 main chassis changes from what I can work out.

There was the Cougar2000 (late 94'), Cougar XPC (Extra Pitch Control) and the Cougar 95 TEAM. Can't work out which came first (XPC or 95 Team?) but they were evolutions from the original 2000 car.

The 2000 has the side wings on the chassis for an ESC and receiver (as pictured below)

The 'XPC' was designed with 7 cell slots which gave you room to move the cells forward or rearward depending on where you wanted the weight of the battery.

The 95 has an open bottom in the chassis but a 6 cell cradle allowed the cells to be moved forward or rearward via a selection of holes. This was screwed in the desired place.

Suspension arms changed and so did the rear bulkhead parts plus shock towers too. I think in true Schumacher style these cars got very complicated with all the different types of suspension arms that could alter handling conditions. Im sure there were racers that could get the most out of them.

The car on the left is the 95 and on the right is the 2000 (94).

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

No worries, I enjoy looking and learning.

Car is a 2000 then. I do have some of those red driveshafts in my used spares and a new 95 lower chassis as a spare. Car also had cf shock towers and front support (rear cf is broken and in the parts bin now). I have almost a complete spare 2000, so maybe he was just buying upgrades. I have no 95 upper chassis which means to me he probably never had a complete 95.
-Patrick

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Patrick it's unfortunate but some of the main parts from the 2000 actualy don't carry over to the XPC or 95. I am pretty certain even the 2000 undertray wont fit the chassis plate of the later two models as they were longer.

Mate you really should snap some 'body off' pics :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

You edited/added more to your post while I was replying. :-p

The new spare chassis I have (assumed it was a 95 because it's narrow) has 6 slots just like the 2000 does. It also doesn't have the big oval hole towards the front like in your pic.
-Patrick

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

It looks like JEROEN is reading this thread.

Jeroen can you help us out with your description on these models??? :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

I'll get pictures up here shortly.

I wish you wouldn't have posted that new pic with cf chassis. It's got me looking at fiber-lyte's website...lol
-Patrick

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Snapped a few pics with my cell, sorry for the bad quality.

Fireblade is in the back.

I also have this "kit" for some unknown reason. Might have bought it hoping it would have usable Cougar 2000 arms.

-Patrick

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Is your chassis on the left CF?

Okay, flipping through the manuals it seems to me that my car is 93 Cougar 2000.
The spare chassis I have is the 95 chassis as shown in my 95 manual.

1993 Cougar 2000 manual:

The Cougar 2000/95 manual is maybe a early version? It has a "June 1994" tire list and the 3 spokes aren't in it even though they are shown on the cover pic.

It does say Cougar 2000/95 in it on the top right of this page:

Since I'm posting these, might as well toss up the Fireblade:

-Patrick

moozo
Approved Member

Post by moozo »

Patrick you do have the Cougar 2000 and the fireblade 2000.....the new chassis you have is the Cougar 2000/95 xpc chassis, Jason's two are the cougar 2000 and cougar 95t.
The other parts are from a Cougar 1.....

As far as i'm aware the fireblade usa was the only schumacher 2wd with a 7 cell slot chassis.....apollogies if i'm wrong :lol:

Mick