Guns!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Guns!

Post by Jay Dub »

Looking into hand guns. Post oppinions and preferences please. I have been shopping around, but figured there must be several here who own and have fact based judgments. Looking into home defense not really hunting. I have other guns for that :wink: . -Jeff

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Guns!

Post by kaiser »

home defense? 12gauge shotty.

if you must have a hand gun then you should really go to a range that rents so you can try a bunch of pistols.

my personal favorite is the 1911, hands down the best pistol ever made.

if i had to pick a revolver it would be a colt python or smith and wesson 686 in .357 mag because you can also shoot 38 special.

in 9mm i'd pick a sig 226.

these are all full size guns, i'm not a fan of "pocket pistols".

but seriously for home defense nothing beats a 12 gauge pump.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

get a dog! If you already have a dog. 1911. All the way!
"It's not broken, it's British!"

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

I found a 1911 in its original navy holster with its ammo belt and amber wire rim glasses and dress uniforms in an old navy trunk on side of our road back in 1986.Soaked it in varsol for a week and it fired a whole clip couldnt hear squat for a week but the loud ringing sound lol.I hate i sold that gun to my dad who gave it to my little brother who wont sell it back to me. :cry: Don

ps: 12 gauge 500 persuider shotgun by mossberg you can blast anything lol

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Jay Dub wrote:Looking into hand guns. Post oppinions and preferences please. I have been shopping around, but figured there must be several here who own and have fact based judgments. Looking into home defense not really hunting. I have other guns for that :wink: . -Jeff
1) What is the exterior of your house constructed of? 2) Interior sheetrock or? 3) One level or two? 4) how many occupants/children? 5) What firearms training or experiance do you have?

No the beloved 1911 is not a good home defense choice (and I love all of mine)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I've got a mossberg 500 with the short barrel and riot hand grip. Nothing like the sound of a shotgun shell racking the chamber to scare off a would be intruder. I also have a S&W 357 magnum revolver. No ejection mechanism to get jammed during the heat of the moment.

Check your local gun laws. Out here in cali I swear the criminal has more rights than the victims. I hope to hell i never have to use my guns but i'm sure glad that i have them

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Shodog, I am in San Jose :lol: . House is single story, mostly stucco. 3 kids, I shoot shotguns. Have a Remington 12ga. side by side for skeet. I have 2 dogs (if you can call them that). I have been looking for a while now (end of the world and all :lol: ) for a hand gun. When we came home from a day trip yesterday, we found our back door had been bashed in a little. They didn't get into the house, but it was enough for me to stop dragging my feet. Anyways, thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. -Jeff

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I carry a Beretta 92FS (M9) Fullsize in INOX stainless, and for the home the Mossberg JIC (Just in case) shotgun is not only a great deal but very effective. For home defense I would not recommend a "Pocket Pistol". I do not know how it is everywhere else, but here in Texas a lot of ranges let people try the guns out, provided you have some proficiency - and if that is not the case they can help you with that too. Also go to a few local gun shops and talk to the people there, if they are helpful and not trying to steer you towards their most selling brand that is awesome, if not try the next store. But as others have said the 1911 is stone reliable - but there are better suited home defense options.

Also consider if you have family, then you should consider who may need to use the weapon in case you are not home or they are closer - make sure your wife or oldest son / daughter (provided he/she can legally hunt perhaps) can manage the weapon.

Just my 2.5 cents
-Maurice

Oh, and I always feel bad that the states that do have a lot of crime, then end up giving a harder time to the person that would like a gun for self or home defense.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Glock 32 - 357 sig. Expensive as hell to shoot at the range. 357 sig ammo aint cheap.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

just in case only military gear,readily avail.... :shock: but I also have a S&W 4006 40cal(home)Image

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Jay Dub wrote:Shodog, I am in San Jose :lol: . House is single story, mostly stucco. 3 kids, I shoot shotguns. Have a Remington 12ga. side by side for skeet. I have 2 dogs (if you can call them that). I have been looking for a while now (end of the world and all :lol: ) for a hand gun. When we came home from a day trip yesterday, we found our back door had been bashed in a little. They didn't get into the house, but it was enough for me to stop dragging my feet. Anyways, thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. -Jeff
If your intent on a household pistol, then a DAO ( double action only ) revolver or autoloader in 9mm or .38 spl +p your best choice for a couple of reasons, however a good shotgun loaded with #8 shot is the best overall. The things you want to consider for a house pistol is aside from combat proven stopping power is sheetrock and exterior wall penetration because you have a family inside your walls, and other family's outside them. The Double action only is to save your hide in the instance that you have to drop the hammer in defense-

more later-

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Knock knock, hello Johnny!!
Kinda favor my Glock .40 compact.

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

I like m y sigs , on the 40's you can get sig357 barrels that use the same mag and slide. That is rough with kids

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I would stay way from any full size pistol by shear cumbersome of the size. Yes, I love 1911's infact I own two government models. Those guns are a blast to shoot at the range. Plus if you run cheap ammo or have shitty magazines, you will have feeding and chambering problems with the 1911. Good magazines will cost you, trust me I know from experience.

I like a midsize pistols for home use. A small pistol is difficult to be accurate with unless you are very proficient with pistols to begin with.

My choice would be 9mm or .40. I prefer 9mm for the sole purpose good ammo is cheap. I have shot several pistols and I like all of them, here is one that i would recommend.

Sig Sauer 228/229

The Sig is a double/single action pistol and super reliable. Some of you guys may not agree on this but I also have a Walther P22 that I absolutly love. I have that pistol on hand and it is super easy for my wife to handle without any problems. Sure a 22 is small but it will do the trick. There are alot of people who would prefer to have the .45 ACP or a .44 but in reality the .22 would be just as effective in most situations.

7 1/2 or 8s in a 12 gauge is also a great suggestion. Good luck with your purchase and hopefully my suggestions help you out.

Jake

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

A boss of mine said he kept a .38, first round loaded with bird shot. When I asked him why, he had several well thought out reasons, first if there was an intruder, being in California, he could scare them with the first shot upon entry without being afraid of killing them and finding out some DA wants to go after him anyway. If they don't leave after the first shot, second shot is justifiable. Second reason, he had 2 young sons, and even though he kept it locked he didn't want to take chances. Third was just in case the wife got mad at him for some reason and pulled the gun on him, he at least knew he had one chance to make a move.

Also, with the spouse knowing how to handle the gun theme, a friend of mine in high school came close to losing his sister. They lived in the country, dad was away for the weekend and his sister decided to sneak out to go to a party. She wasn't as good at sneaking back in the middle of the night and mom grabbed the shot gun. Mom knew how to use it, gave warning, racked it and dumb daughter tries to hide because she doesn't want to be grounded. Mom fired a warning shot, scared everyone to death but the daughter came to her senses and said don't shoot its me or something like that. Yeah she was grounded for a long time. Better than being dead.