New Member with RC-10 Worlds Edition semi-restoration

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vsefiream
Approved Member

New Member with RC-10 Worlds Edition semi-restoration

Post by vsefiream »

Hey folks, I just joined to try and gain a bit of knowledge and maybe for some nostalgia. I owned a few RC-10 kits back in the late 80's which are now long gone. Recently I picked up a a couple of vintage rc cars as my brother and nephew have given me back the RC bug. In a package deal I bought a Bolink car, a Stampede and an RC-10. I bought the deal mostly for the Stampede to give to my daughter as my son and I each have one already. All three had Magnum 2pbka's and Futaba MC210CB speed controllers. Also included were 6 Nicad cells a Tekin peak charger a Hobbico charger and a bunch of spare parts for the RC-10. So... after a little research I find that the RC-10 is a late model Worlds Edition in all black. This is this car I will have a bunch of questions about soon as I am going to restore it. Please watch for that thread and help me out if you can. Thanks!!

vsefiream
Approved Member

RC-10 Worlds Edition semi-restoration

Post by vsefiream »

I just joined here and I recently acquired an RC-10 Worlds edition mostly complete. It's a later black version. It came with the worn original tires, some street tires on the back and a bunch of spare parts. Best thing is it is mostly stock and seems to not be cut up at all. It even has the original body that the PO painted to look like the box art.

So in my mind I figure why not clean it up and keep it as a collectable. Now owning it and driving it a few times I feel like it needs to go to somebody who is more into collecting these than myself. The kids and I are so much into the Stampedes that we plan on doing more with them. I am going to clean up the worlds car and sell it to pay for the cars I bought and keep up the hobby for the kids. It's not cheap keeping up three trucks that tend to break at the hands of children, but it's fun!!

Here's what I did... My first thought was to take the car apart and clean it up for reassembly. All it was really missing was the battery hold down and one nose support tube. I ordered those up and tore the car apart. Taking this car apart brought back great memories, very cool. So I get it torn down, and load up my little ultrasonic cleaner to clean the small parts and I put the chassis in a bucket with the degreaser. All was going well until I noticed that the solution was getting really dark. My first thought was the car was dirtier than I thought. Quickly I realized the truth...The cleaner was removing the anodize!! I pulled the parts and rinsed them under cold water ASAP!!! Well the motor plate and shock caps were silver, anodize was toast. The chassis and front plate were in the bucket and the harder anodize was less affected but still purple-ish. The shock bodies were half stripped as well... So I'm PO'd severly by now!! I pulled all the parts and rinsed them off under cool water. Everthing else came out nice and clean.
At that point I have a few choices, do I paint the chassis semi-gloss black or have it reanodized?? Do I replace or reanodize the shocks?? Well I called around and found a place that will strip and anodize the black parts for $85. I dropped them off this morning. I found replacement shock bodies on Ebay and I'll get those soon. I guess in the long run this car will look great when done. Dunno if that's good or bad?? I know I'll be in the hole with this car but I think I am still going to sell it when done and take it as a lesson learned.
As a foot note, I have cleaned three Stampedes in this very same manner with no issues, it's not until now that I find it eats anodizing.. And I half thought about painting the black parts but I thought that would cheapen the car.

I guess I don't have too many questions just yet but I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions

jwscab

Re: Hello All, new here with a few questions

Post by jwscab »

that's always a bummer if you happen to ruin parts by accident. The good out of it though, is if you get it re-anodized, and clean up everything, it will be like a brand new car, and be even better in the end!

I wouldn't be afraid to run the car after it's built, gently......find some chassis protector and put it on the freshly anodized chassis and have some fun!

vsefiream
Approved Member

Re: New Member with RC-10 Worlds Edition semi-restoration

Post by vsefiream »

I have collected all the parts I need and the aluminum parts are at the platers right now. I have new shock bodies, trans felt gasket, screws, and tires comming in the mail.
I removed the glued on tires in acetone and it worked perfectly. My only issue is that while cleaning the rear wheels, I managed to dull them so they don't look as shinny as they did when new like the fronts do. Has anybody had any experience polishing wheels??

Thanks

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

vsefiream wrote:I have collected all the parts I need and the aluminum parts are at the platers right now. I have new shock bodies, trans felt gasket, screws, and tires comming in the mail.
I removed the glued on tires in acetone and it worked perfectly. My only issue is that while cleaning the rear wheels, I managed to dull them so they don't look as shinny as they did when new like the fronts do. Has anybody had any experience polishing wheels??

Thanks
Funny you ask that, I have been trying to polish RC10 worlds wheels this week, I haven't finished yet but il let you know my results.

I mounted the front wheel onto a dremel and while spinning took 400 grit sandpaper to smooth them off then kept going finer and finer upto 1000, they are still not perfect but I will use Magiurs plastic cleaner and polish to try and finish them off.

Apparently this stuff is good for polishing: Greygate Bakelite Polish Tube (Paste Polishing No. 5) I am yet to try it myself though so you would have to test first!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

fakiee wrote:I mounted the front wheel onto a dremel and while spinning took 400 grit sandpaper to smooth them off
I've done this to remove scratches...works well :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

The black parts are done and the screws arrived today. Looks like I may be building soon!!

First pics:Image

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Some progress, the car is 75% complete but I am unhappy with some of the 4-40 cap screws, a lot of them have rust in or on them. I'll probably replace them all before going too much farther. Still waiting on the rear tires, rims, and felt trans gasket to arrive so I can finish up.
Here are some pics:

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Polishing plastic...

My wife and I own a Hearing Aid dispensing company... I do the repairs to the hearing aids and the plastic shells that they have..

At any rate, when we buff the shells they have to be smooth and shiny because if they are not, it will cause irritation inside the ear, sometimes we have to either repair the shell, or make modifications to it using a dental drill and grinding buffers. I use the same buffing compounds as jewelers use to polish jewels. I have never tried to polish wheels this way, but I'm assuming the results "Could" be the same? Maybe I'll try this out one of these days.

Just a thought on something to try if you have an old wheel and a high speed buffer around. :)

The car in the thread looks awesome! I think I may take my worlds car apart and send the black parts off to be anno'd!
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

midse
Approved Member

Post by midse »

JK Racing wrote:
fakiee wrote:I mounted the front wheel onto a dremel and while spinning took 400 grit sandpaper to smooth them off
I've done this to remove scratches...works well :)
My first job(only lasted a few months bc of fumes) was as a spray painter apprentice. I learnt quick. Polishing any materials is basically the same. Several months later my friends and I joined the army. Recruit training was tough but fun also. Everything had to be polished, we were lucky new occupational laws just came in so we didn't have to daily polish the urinal brass fittings unless someone screwed up. We each had brass loops (keepers) and clips for our dress belts and they had to be polished immaculately. Trouble was they only gave us 1200 grit paper. So when we had our first few hours of town leave I bought a few sheets of all the grades. Within about 35 min all my brass was spot on whilst it took some guys many more weeks to get theirs right even though I offered to do it/ show them. I had some alloy wheels for my mid that I took to a metal polisher and they turned out like chrome. Being a kid at the time the guy took pity and charged only 5 bucks.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Thanks guys. I found a set so I just bought them. I figured the old set can be used and the new set as display or whatever the new owner who that may be decides.
I spent a few minutes further outfitting the chassis last night:

If all goes well, I should be done when the wheels arrive next week :D

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

I'm done. I wasn't able to locate a set of rear rims and I don't know if I will any time soon. I finished up the Worlds car and I just listed it on Ebay. Wish me luck, I have another project that needs funding :D Here are some pics from the Ebay listing:

If you search for RC10 worlds on Ebay I'm sure you'll find it

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

The Worlds car didn't meet my reserve of $300, actually it only reached $202. It was a bit disappointing considering all I had into it. The worst part of all is that I placed a bid on another gold pan car for sport and won it to my surprise. So I offered the highest bidder a second chance offer on the worlds car and they snatched it up. Great deal for them. So I guess that ends this thread. It's unfortunate, for $200 I would have almost rather kept it but my own fault. I now have two A stamp 6 gear gold pan cars, one of which needs to find a new home soon. The other will be a driver

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

Now it has gone to the RC scrapyard, being parted out right now on Ebay by Rcwaffle.
If he sells everything at the listed prices is $657.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

ahhh the waffle. i'm expecting some of his parts this week. it's a double edged sword, that parting out business.