An idea: New body, retro look.

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cunawarit
Approved Member

An idea: New body, retro look.

Post by cunawarit »

With the body of my old Bandit being cracked pretty much everywhere, it occured to me that at some point it might require replacing. However, with the old style body being almost impossible to get hold of, it occurred to me the new body could do with a retro treatment:

What do you think?

Any ideas on how to improve it?

BTW, it is inspired by the 2401 box art, but it isn't an exact copy. Also, I omitted the back section, never been a fan of that even on the old body.

PS: The honest truth is that I think the current Bandit body is too bulky and not very nice, however, if it is the only option I thought that with a little bit of a retro treatment it could look better.

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Re: An idea: New body, retro look.

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

Not bad, but I can't think of a way to "improve" it since your preference in body shell design is entirely down to you. If I was going to paint something like that I would probably put a pinstripe around the white.

If you don't like the new shell's shape then have you tried getting the body from another car to fit?

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

Ivan Dobsky wrote:If you don't like the new shell's shape then have you tried getting the body from another car to fit?
I wouldn't mind at all, the two things that would stop me are that it is always nicer to have a body fit flush against the chassis. It survives impacts much better long term, secondly if I could try body after body till I get a fit that I like I would do it. But there's no easy way of doing that when you haven't got access to them.

PS: Very valid point on colour schemes being largely about personal preference.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

How'd you make that pic? Just curious. Kinda looks like it would fit an idea I had a while back. Very cool btw. 8)
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=21532
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:How'd you make that pic? Just curious. Kinda looks like it would fit an idea I had a while back. Very cool btw. 8)
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=21532
I found a template here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/60219-blank-templates-designing-paper-61.html

And then I used GIMP, yeah I did say GIMP :) ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) To do the colours. GIMP is like Photoshop but free, it allows you to do layers so each each section of the design is an individual layer you can tweak, and you can use perspective tools too which is how I got the logos to right... It wasn't a precision job though :) You could do much much better if you take your time. Eg:

That took me much longer, and I started with a photo I took.

Sadly though, GIMP like Photoshop takes a while to learn.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

cunawarit wrote:Sadly though, GIMP like Photoshop takes a while to learn.
Awesome results, but as a typical lazy American is there an easier alternative that only requires one click and yields perfect results with no prior training whatsoever??

Just kidding. I'll have to look into it tomorrow... not that I'm a procrastinator... :oops:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
cunawarit wrote:Sadly though, GIMP like Photoshop takes a while to learn.
Awesome results, but as a typical lazy American is there an easier alternative that only requires one click and yields perfect results with no prior training whatsoever??
LOL, yeah :) Hire a graphic designer. ;)

Seriously, no, I don't know.

But its the sort of little program that an RC car manufacturer could develop. Wouldn't it be neat if you designed your bodies online and they sent'em off to you fully painted?

I have no idea if the painting process is automatable or not... *shrugs*

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

cunawarit wrote:I have no idea if the painting process is automatable or not... *shrugs*
According to slotcarrod they paint a flat piece of lexan and then form it to make bodies for RTRs... and since he's a stupid know-it-all who really does know it all... I'm sure it's true. :lol: (just kidding Rod! :P ) BTW, I still haven't looked up this software, but I intend to. :oops: :lol:
Ken

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

what about the JConcepts body for the bandit, does that one have better lines than the current stock body?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

JK Racing wrote:what about the JConcepts body for the bandit, does that one have better lines than the current stock body?
Yeah, it looks nicer to me. Not easy to find in Europe though, would have to order from the states most likely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

cunawarit wrote:
But its the sort of little program that an RC car manufacturer could develop. Wouldn't it be neat if you designed your bodies online and they sent'em off to you fully painted?

I have no idea if the painting process is automatable or not... *shrugs*
1- it exists... one of the bespoke painters I've come across lately has this sw available, you design your stuff on his website with your colors and all and push the "order" button and he does it... forgot which one it is. :oops:

2- sure... more "printing" than painting, though, think traxxas. The cost per body would be prohibitive though (setup costs for each set of colors)...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.