Team Associated Green Label Motor and others

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

danglenode
Approved Member

Team Associated Green Label Motor and others

Post by danglenode »

So tonight I realized that I have quite a few vintage motors laying around... I found an Associated Competition Stock Motor (Green Label) that I think came with my Gold Tub CE. What is the correct stock motor for the original Gold Tub and which after market motors would be correct?

Also I wanted to take this motor apart and clean it up some, so I removed the brushes unsoldered the capacitors but I still cannot seem to get the can to come apart. Am I missing something?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: Team Associated Green Label Motor and others

Post by Asso_man! »

Stock motors are not supposed to be opened! You just run the crap out of it and throw it away when it's too abused...

You'll also probably notice that the stock AE motors come with an addy on the label, some have the first one (Edinger road) and some have the later one (Cadillac avenue). The gold tub with the 6 gear and narrow front arms usually came with a blue labelled motor, but I've bought some that had a green one. I don't have a more precise answer for that, sorry. But I'm pretty sure there's a guy out there with more knowledge than me :)

danglenode
Approved Member

Post by danglenode »

ok cool thanks, that explains why I cant get it opened then. I know this particular motor came with the CE I used to have (the CE and Blue label motor seem to have just vanished) I know came with the Green Label that was marked with the Cadillac address. The other CE I Remember selling back when eBay first started before I had my current name. I sold that and the GT... BIG MISTAKE because now I wish I had them. I should look for photos, all the pieces had been dyed black .... anyway I digress....

Is there an easy way to clean the old motors just to make the outside look nice? I have no way of telling if the motor is good or not, but I do know it spins. Soon I will post a photo of another motor I need help Identifying as well.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Until they started making rebuildable stock motors you could buy comm skimmers designed to true the comm with the armature in the can, a bit over the top though just to clean up one motor. Use a comm cleaning stick to remove any burning from the comm then just flush it through with motor cleaner. Relube the bearings and it should be as good as you are going to get it.

You can get the armature out, an old trick we used to cheat by enabling us to rebuild the motors. Hold the can in a vice and hit the end of the armature with a hammer until the endbell pops off. Clean up the motor, bend the tabs back just enough to get the endbell back on then tap the tabs back down to hold the endbell in place. This was usually used to revive motors that had the endbell pop off in an accident so you got more life out of it. It was no longer useful for major race events as the endbell had been removed and (unless you knew what you were doing :roll: ) the marks on the tabs revealed it had been opened.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

terry.sc wrote:You can get the armature out, an old trick we used to cheat by enabling us to rebuild the motors. Hold the can in a vice and hit the end of the armature with a hammer until the endbell pops off. Clean up the motor, bend the tabs back just enough to get the endbell back on then tap the tabs back down to hold the endbell in place.
I was a bit more barbaric BITD....Take the motor out, hold it really tight, smack it against the table (pinion side of the armature down) until the endbell popped off. It was funny hearing all the pounding at the track in the break before the stock main.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Why don't you just carefully run a seal pick in behind the tab and pry it out? I have done this with no visual deformation of the can or bell. You guys are just brutes :P

Can you tell I am very anal about my stuff. If I drop something on the floor, I pick it up gently and then apologize to it for not being more careful :D
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Tadracket wrote:Can you tell I am very anal about my stuff. If I drop something on the floor, I pick it up gently and then apologize to it for not being more careful :D
that has nothing to see with being anal, that is called fetichism :lol:

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Asso_man! wrote:....that has nothing to see with being anal, that is called fetichism :lol:
So you're saying there is a fine line between loving your cars and "Loving" your cars? :D
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Here's a few crap pictures of stock RC10 motors. (it's hard to photo the chrome foil without a light box... :( )

Hope this helps some.

:wink:
Attachments
motor group.jpg
The basic stock kit motor lineup. The top motor is a Reedy Tru Stock #550, supplied with mid production CE stealth buggies and all 7011 trucks.
motor group.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
The basic stock kit motor lineup. The top motor is a Reedy Tru Stock #550, supplied with mid production CE stealth buggies and all 7011 trucks.
motor group.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
ors6500.jpg
The typical "6500" Offroad Stock motor as supplied with the 1st gen RC10's. This same basic label was used after the move to Cadillac Ave.
ors6500.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
The typical "6500" Offroad Stock motor as supplied with the 1st gen RC10's. This same basic label was used after the move to Cadillac Ave.
ors6500.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
12th6500.jpg
Second version of the 6500, as sold to the 1/12th scale market prior to the move to Cadillac Ave. Marketed as the "05" stock motor. The same label as used on the older Igarashi closed endbell motors.
12th6500.jpg (107.78 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Second version of the 6500, as sold to the 1/12th scale market prior to the move to Cadillac Ave. Marketed as the "05" stock motor. The same label as used on the older Igarashi closed endbell motors.
12th6500.jpg (107.78 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
6502.jpg
Common "Green Label" Competition Stock motor as used in the early RC10CE cars AE#6502 based on the "Ultra" series mod motors.
6502.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Common "Green Label" Competition Stock motor as used in the early RC10CE cars AE#6502 based on the "Ultra" series mod motors.
6502.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

danglenode
Approved Member

Post by danglenode »

Thanks that helps alot. I actually have two of the Cadillac green label motors, but want to get the Edinger blue label... I have a blue label from Cadillac, but I want everything to be correct.

Thanks!!

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

danglenode wrote:Thanks that helps alot. I actually have two of the Cadillac green label motors, but want to get the Edinger blue label... I have a blue label from Cadillac, but I want everything to be correct.

Thanks!!
If you've got a nice Cadillac blue label motor I'd consider a partial trade for a decent used Edinger motor that I've got.. PM me if you're interested. Keep in mind I've actually got to find it...but it's somewhere in my stuff. :roll:

8)

danglenode
Approved Member

Post by danglenode »

Actually I only have one Blue label motor that I can find... If I can find the other this weekend (RC cleanup time) I will for sure let you know.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

danglenode wrote:Actually I only have one Blue label motor that I can find... If I can find the other this weekend (RC cleanup time) I will for sure let you know.
Fine. 8) I did find it BTW.

danglenode
Approved Member

Post by danglenode »

Nice :P I will have my eye out for it when I go through stuff this weekend

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I was looking at some motors that came with my vintage car and the new Team car i just got. One is an OLD Duratrax modified motor, the other is a Reedy Force I motor. Anyone know if the reedy motor is a mod or stock?

Does anyone have any of the MR series from Associated?

MOmo