Beginner XX questions

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcdaddy

Beginner XX questions

Post by rcdaddy »

Hello guys, I've been racing carpet oval for about a year now and decided to try my hand at offroad racing. I found out my local track has a vintage class. That got my heart racing and I immediatly started looking for a XX. My first real RC was a Losi XX I bought right after I graduated in 1993, man I loved that car. So now I have a XX I am cleaning and rebuilding, and I have lots of questions.

The class is 27 turn brushed or 17.5 blinky, 7.4 lipo is allowed, modern wheels and tires. The track is loamy and loose, more of an old school track. Not hard packed and high traction like modern tracks. I'd like to run brushless for low maintenance. Do to the loose track I'd like to run the hydra-drive. I don't know much about gearing so is there enough room with an 84 spur to gear the car for loose conditions or would I be better off running a dual slipper with a smaller spur and not the hydra-drive? What is a good starting pinion for either setup?

I want to run the stock wheels what tires would you recommend for loose conditions that would fit?

And my last question for now is what spares do I need to carry with me at the track.

Thank you for any help. I love this site, I think I've found a new home and a new obsession.
Randy

rcdaddy

Re: Beginner XX questions

Post by rcdaddy »

Here are the pics before I tore it down.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

those old x patterns will work pretty well in the loose stuff.
can also try step pins or jconcepts goosebumps.
a fresh set of ribbed tires up front should work fine, i like jconcepts "groovys".

i haven't run a xx since 93/94 myself but i never broke a damn thing on it that season so i can't recomend spares, but a set of a-arms is always a good idea to have with ya.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

SWEET XX you got there.I think i got 5 and almost enuff for number 6 lol.WELCOME TO THE BOARD.DON 8)

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I would run those x-patterns for now and go from there.

The hydra drive was cool BITD but I think seeing everyone go currently to a dual slipper setup there must be something to it.
I think with a properly set up Diff and slipper that would be the way to go.

Sapre parts would depend on driving ability :D . Arms and front bulkhead would be on my list.

good luck with the build and keep us posted.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

rcdaddy

Post by rcdaddy »

Does anyone know the exact parts I need to remove the hydra-drive and convert to a dual slipper setup? Tried searching but still not clear. Thanks, Randy

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

you can reference the XX BK explode if you like for parts you need.
http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals_files/kinwald.pdf

Essentially you just need to get another:
a new dual disk slipper spur (and xxx one will do)
a3132
a3123

Maybe since you got second hand and may not have all parts, a3124.

Also a new slipper shaft may make things easier, but probably not needed. Like a9930 shown in explode. It is a little shorter than the original I believe.

I have been meaning to make a small how-to for this on vintagelosi.com. But haven't gotten around to it yet.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

mamadoesntletme
Approved Member

Post by mamadoesntletme »

umm..have I seen that car on ebay? wasn`t one of those Mr valky sells?

rcdaddy

Post by rcdaddy »

Yup thats the one. Thanks for all the advice so far guys. And thanks mytimac for the part numbers.

Another question, when I looked for XXX spurs on losipartshouse it showed them as discontinued and gave part numbers for the 22 spurs to use in its place. I just want to make sure 22 spurs will work before I order. Thanks

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

yes, the 22 spurs work with the double slipper set up. you can also use AE spurs, with AE slipper pads (with the double slipper).
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

JK Racing wrote:yes, the 22 spurs work with the double slipper set up. you can also use AE spurs, with AE slipper pads (with the double slipper).
Thats worth knowing JK! I was going to say that I also ordered a spur gear a short while ago for my XXXCR2, the model shop said that the old 'Kevlar' type had been discontinued but that the TLR22 item was listed as its replacement by Horizon (the distributers) - I haven't used that particular spur yet but I did check that the slipper pads fitted into the grooves within the moulding & sure enough all seems ok :wink:

P.S; great looking XX you have there & welcome to the board - make sure you keep updated with your progress with it! I ran my XX most of last year & re-ignited my love affair for this brilliant buggy, which undoubtedly my all-time fav chassis, it went well a pulled in some decent results for me against the modern buggies! I must admit that personally, running 17.5 'Blinky' sounds pretty dull unless your circuit is very small - the Double X is capable of handling much more! 8)

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

Nice XX you got here!

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

For future people seeking answers to converting to dual disk i am adding this link to the thread. It covers how to convert to dual disk.
http://vintagelosi.com/SingleToDual.html
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Hey...! Thanks for the link - It's clear, easy to understand and clears up any confusion around the conversion. I have to say that I was guilty of trying to use the wrong slipper plate recently... :oops:

The new website looks great too!

K
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Sascha3741

Post by Sascha3741 »

Looks like you've got the basis for a great car there.

Some parts are getting hard to find though, in particular the front bulkhead (LOSA1101) There have been two ebay auctions over the last few months for nip bulkheads, the first went for just over £50 and the second for £48. Even a secondhand one went for £24 recently! If you have a few spare ones then great but if not I would start looking for replacements now, as they are fragile. The later white versions are much better but equally elusive and the alloy versions are almost impossible to find. Also, if you do enough research you'll find posts online advising to look for the duratrax evader version. These are not direct replacements and require a lot of work to fit, you'll also need the shock tower as well which needs to be modified and the chassis brace won't fit either. You could use tie rods instead of the brace but by the time you've done all that you've effectively got the front end off a different car. Another option would be to buy another xx and use it for spares.

Anyway, don't be put off and good luck. Would be great to see some photos of it racing, the track you mentioned should be perfect for the xx.

Sascha