Orangemazdas Re-Re build

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

orangemazda
Approved Member

Orangemazdas Re-Re build

Post by orangemazda »

Like I've said before in other threads, I'm not new to the RC10. I was fortunate enough to have built a new 6-gear, short arm kit back in the mid 80's. I've had many RC10's since then, built every one of them myself, became sponsored by a couple companys in the late 80's, early 90's, worked at a local hobby shop, and then in 1992 "took a break" when I met this wonderful girl who is now my wife...and the rest is history as they say. I've always tinkered with my cars since then. Even bought and sold RC10's on Ebay now and then. When I found out that Associated was re-releasing the original I knew I had to have one. So here's my build thread. I think the car will remain fairly stock with some mild upgrades...bearings, steering, andys front arms, large outer outdrive bearings, etc.

Oh, and I'm not using the manual... :D I'm not going to race through the build, I'm going to take my time, savor it, in the evenings after the kids go down and the house is quiet again.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: Orangemazdas Re-Re build

Post by slotcarrod »

Nice, I remember doing that to some of my chassis with a Dremel and a file! Cool stuff, just need to cut down the sides now! :lol:

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Yeah, I haven't decided weather I want to cut down the sides or not...I never did back in the day...this is exactly how I did it back then. I do however like how the bodies fit a little better once cut down. If I do, It will be a real mild cut...maybe 1/4" or so.

slotcarrod wrote:Nice, I remember doing that to some of my chassis with a Dremel and a file! Cool stuff, just need to cut down the sides now! :lol:

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Well, with the announcement of the Worlds Re-Re (pre ordered!), I think I'm going to go in a slightly different direction with this Re-Re build. I think I'll be leaving it mostly stock with the exception of full ball bearings and ball bearing steering. I was going to do Andys front arms, and different wheels and tires but not any more.

Some people have expressed disapointment about getting a Re-Re now that the worlds Re-Re is coming out. I'm happy I'll have both. And I feel I now have the freedom to build this Re-Re into a more stock configuration and just have fun with it.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

orangemazda wrote:Well, with the announcement of the Worlds Re-Re (pre ordered!), I think I'm going to go in a slightly different direction with this Re-Re build. I think I'll be leaving it mostly stock with the exception of full ball bearings and ball bearing steering. I was going to do Andys front arms, and different wheels and tires but not any more.

Some people have expressed disapointment about getting a Re-Re now that the worlds Re-Re is coming out. I'm happy I'll have both. And I feel I now have the freedom to build this Re-Re into a more stock configuration and just have fun with it.
I agree, I won't be purchasing the Worlds re-re and am just as content with a re-re version of the gold pan/six gear that started it all BITD.

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

I made some more progress this weekend and I'm loving it! It is so awesome to sit back and just enjoy a build! I've read some peoples post that they don't like how "hard" it is to put together an RC10...this one is going together way easier then any I put together when I was young! Or maybe It's that I've put tons of RC10's together and know their little quarks.

Anyways, on to the pics.

Tell me it isn't so??? He dyed the white parts?!? Yes I did!

Buttery smooth tranny! They never went together this easily or this smoothly right out of the box back in the day!

What? I can't hear you, I've got no ears!

The arms went together so easily. No binding or stifness at all. No need to ream anything. And my rear hubs seem hold both bearings perfectly...or do they...

And I started the front. One of my pet peeves is un-trimmed nose braces!

Thats where I'm stopping for now. Hopefully one of these nights after work I'll have more time to tinker on it more!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Looks great so far! I love the little changes you have made.

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

I'm rebuilding my vintage 6-gear as soon as the bearings and gears arrive. Do I need that cap head w/ washer to hold the outdrive bearings in?

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

I saw how 1300GT built his transmission so I did it exactly the same, with the brass spacers and everything. It worked out really well. You don't HAVE to put the screw in to hold the bearing but I think it could work its way out over time. The motor plate holds the other side bearing in place.

GodSpeed wrote:I'm rebuilding my vintage 6-gear as soon as the bearings and gears arrive. Do I need that cap head w/ washer to hold the outdrive bearings in?

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

Looks great! Are the outdrive bearings .196" wide? They look like they're rubber shielded.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

those are probably avid rc revolution bearings. 1 side is rubber shielded and the other is metal.

the ceramics are going for $1 in that size at moment.

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

I didn't measure the bearings before I stuck them in there. They are rubber shielded and seem to be pretty nice bearings.

I eyeballed the width of the brass spacers then sanded them to the proper width. I pulled the tranny apart more times then I care to admit, but in the end I got it dialed in.
1300GT wrote:Looks great! Are the outdrive bearings .196" wide? They look like they're rubber shielded.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Very nicely done, very neat and clean. You obviously spent a lot of time trimming all the nylon bits. That trimmed rear bulkhead looks great especially.

I've never been much of a fan of black nylon on gold aluminum but this is an exception!

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

DMAT wrote:those are probably avid rc revolution bearings. 1 side is rubber shielded and the other is metal.

the ceramics are going for $1 in that size at moment.
I have them on order, along with the full RC10 kit. Takes a while for the dogsled to get up to Canada though.

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Not a huge amount of progress but I got some of the front end together.