Building 2 RC10 6 gear cars 4 my boys. Need Setup sugestions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Scalemotorcars

Building 2 RC10 6 gear cars 4 my boys. Need Setup sugestions

Post by Scalemotorcars »

Hey guys, I could use some suggestions on setting up two RC10's for my boys (9 & 15 years old). Both have run RC before but still a bit green.

Both cars are running 6 gear trans, full bearings and 90amp ESC's (china). Both have basically stock rc10 tires and 6 cell packs. Below is a photo of the NEW local track just 2 miles away. Before this the closest track was 50 miles. A good reason why Im a little rust on what works and who's making it.

Now my questions.

What brands are building solid brushed motors these days and what size do I need. I know a little about windings and was thinking something between 20 and 24 staying away from the modifieds but still a step up from stock. I also would like to keep the cost down around $30 or less for each.

Also any gear ratio suggestions and shock oil weights. I know all this depends on the track condition but anything close is a start.

Thanks in advance. Daniel
If I can build it, drive it, or blow it up I LOVE IT!!!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Building 2 RC10 6 gear cars 4 my boys. Need Setup sugest

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Honestly, it's gonna be pretty hard to beat the Reedy Radon 17.5T you can get for under $20 on eBay without spending quite a bit more, or getting lucky. Its been some time since I did much screwing around with brushed stuff, but not much has changed, other than there are not nearly as many players in the game these days.

Really should consider doing economy brushless builds, such as Hobbywing. You can get combos for under $80 shipped. Not so much for a performance gain, but efficiency; You'll be able to use the high mAh LiPo packs, and you''ll get nearly twice the run time for the same mAh rating. Also lower maintenance, since BL motors make use of conduction cooling with the windings against the housing, hence are almost completely sealed.

Check out stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Express-Hobbywing-eZrun-13T-3000kv-Brushless-motor-35A-V2-0-ESC-P-Card-Combo-/281013311030?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416db2d636

Gearing-wise, I've found stock or close-to-stock is pretty ideal with the 3,000-3,500KV motors (13.5-17.5T brushed) on a smaller 1/10 scale track. 20T pinion, 81T spur is what I run with my 17.5T brushed 6 gear, which hits about 23 MPH, and on a 9T brushless B3 that clocks 31 MPH. I run a 19T pinion and 87T spur on my 10T brushless RC10T, it tops out at 29 MPH on 2S.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Scalemotorcars wrote:Hey guys, I could use some suggestions on setting up two RC10's for my boys (9 & 15 years old). Both have run RC before but still a bit green.

Both cars are running 6 gear trans, full bearings and 90amp ESC's (china). Both have basically stock rc10 tires and 6 cell packs. Below is a photo of the NEW local track just 2 miles away. Before this the closest track was 50 miles. A good reason why Im a little rust on what works and who's making it.

Now my questions.

What brands are building solid brushed motors these days and what size do I need. I know a little about windings and was thinking something between 20 and 24 staying away from the modifieds but still a step up from stock. I also would like to keep the cost down around $30 or less for each.

Also any gear ratio suggestions and shock oil weights. I know all this depends on the track condition but anything close is a start.

Thanks in advance. Daniel
Where is that track?

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

As Sixtysixdeuce said, if you want to spend more time playing than wrenching, it would be better to invest in BL stuff as it is more economical in the long run. as brushed tech is a thing of the past ( excuse me), you will be looking at 17.5T BL motor for stock and you can further tame it down via ESC program card ( AKA Punch), there are a lot of good and cheap China products and the branded one ( who are OEM of some CHINA ones hahahah). but just the same its all worth the money.

Nice track though.... Me I have a 9 y./o and 2 y/o kids, but my niners is not that into the hobby yet. well may be things will change...

cheers!!!
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Yes Where is that track located .None in my area closest one is indoor at Northgat mall and Goldsboro to me.don

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

I want to think that it's Siler City

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

Thanks guys. I agree with the BL stuff but after dropping $700 on 3 custom tube chassis, remotes, extra parts bla, bla bla. I ran out of money. Since I already had a box on 6 cells and 3 or 4 chargers I figures we could tear those up first then invest in all the BL gear.

And yes that was 3 chassis, someone has to show them how its done and I'm not waiting my turn. :lol:

That track is located at Glory Road Paintball Monroe, NC 28110

The guy doing the tuber chassis is Ed at Bermudez Custom Designs

Were getting some of the very first anodized alloy chassis. One in a dark blue, one in light yellow that looks amazing and mine of course is orange. Ill post pics once I get them here.
Until then heres a pic of a painted one.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Scalemotorcars wrote:Thanks guys. I agree with the BL stuff but after dropping $700 on 3 custom tube chassis, remotes, extra parts bla, bla bla. I ran out of money. Since I already had a box on 6 cells and 3 or 4 chargers I figures we could tear those up first then invest in all the BL gear.

And yes that was 3 chassis, someone has to show them how its done and I'm not waiting my turn. :lol:

That track is located at Glory Road Paintball Monroe, NC 28110

The guy doing the tuber chassis is Ed at Bermudez Custom Designs

Were getting some of the very first anodized alloy chassis. One in a dark blue, one in light yellow that looks amazing and mine of course is orange. Ill post pics once I get them here.
Until then heres a pic of a painted one.
Monroe huh! That's still only an hour for me, they have a site or a schedule?

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

They have a site for the paintball but nothing about the track yet. Would you believe Craigslist. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tag/4166546540.html

This is a quote from the listing.
The Glory Road paintball complex has been expanded with the addition of a large offroad rc track. The track facility is in it's near completion stages but the track itself is ready to run on and the driver's stand has been built. This track looks like it will be an awesome track to run on and it appears that all scales will be able to run the track as it has nice wide lanes.
I believe that at this time the track will only be open on the weekends there is a small fee ($5.00) to use the track and it will be open 10am till 5pm on Saturdays and 1 pm till 5 on Sunday.

Address: 4209 N Rocky River Rd, Monroe, NC 28110

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

A few more pictures.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Sweet track!

Trinity re-re'd the Speed Gems line of which I've bought a couple 19t doubles, not bad for ~30-sh with adjustable timing. With that said, I do agree with the others about the brushless systems with or without Lipo batteries. There's tons of systems out there with very competitive pricing worth looking into.
-Kevin

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I would agree - even a cheap brushless system with lipo will get you better long term results without the maintenance of brushed systems. Plus you get way more power :twisted:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I've had good luck with the hobbyking turnigy track star systems. Waterproof and easy plug and play.

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

I have a few (4) RC10s using a hobbywing Juststock ESC and I pair that up with a turnigy trackstar 17.5 (I think it is a reedy knock-off) and a turnigy nano-tech lipo battery (like the 5300 or 5600mah 30-60C - Black and red packs). I pair that up with the turnigy 3XS FHSS radio system. Everything seems pretty rock solid (I use this combo for my WION racer) and it is just about as cheap as you can get on everything.