A-stamp long arm updated runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

A-stamp long arm updated runner

Post by mk-Zero »

Just picked this up over the weekend from Norman here on RC10talk. It's an A-stamp chassis drilled for a Stealth trans with white long arms up front and a World's bulkhead, and all original plastics except the rere World's steering. Here's the rest ofd the build specs:

Lunsford ti turnbuckles
RC carbon works front and rear towers
b4 v1 shocks front and rear.
zx5 wing mounts
stealth trans all new inside including diff
v2 slipper with b4 top shaft.
b2 universals
All new bearings
all ball studs are 5/64 hex
duratrax b2 copy rims front and rear.

I bought a Tekin 8.5 turn, a Novak Kinetic ESC, and an Airtronics Rx for it, also all from Norman (Justin). I added an Airtronics servo, BarCodes front and rear, and binded the Rx to my MT-4 to complete it to runner status.

My plan for the car is to run it on the local indoor clay track weekly (Thursday nights) along with my B44FT. In the next couple days I need to rebuild the B4 shocks with limits to get the droop under control front and rear, and probably set it up at about 1* negative camber front and rear and zero toe in front. I'm pretty sure it's going to handle horribly compared to my B4 or B44, but I can dial it in a little at a time. Eventually I want to put the car on a diet maybe with some chassis milling and cutting the nose and motor plates etc.

ca-rj
Approved Member

Re: A-stamp long arm updated runner

Post by ca-rj »

She's a beauty!
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

DoppleBanger

Post by DoppleBanger »

Looks great! and am sure it'll still be competitive with a good setup too.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Nice build 8) I ran bomber class with a bone stock CE against a field of B4s. I suspect my CE smoked the B4s because it is heavier and hooked up in the turns of the clay oval with no problems. Your car will be competitive.

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

Nice goldie! and don't count the old girl out just yet. With a good setup ( and more importantly, a good driver), the dinosaurs can definitely turn just as fast of times as the youngsters!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Thanks guys. I'm not so much counting the car out as I am the driver (only ever driven on a track 6-7 times, although I'm going weekly now so should be improving) and my ability to setup and tune the car, since I'm fairly new at that too. I'm sure I'll be picking you guy's brains a lot about setup after I see how the car handles with its current setup. My B4 on the other hand handles great out of the box.

Norman
Approved Member

Post by Norman »

Cant wait to see it running finally on thursday!
Hi. :)

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Hopefully I won't destroy that beautiful body you painted! I trimmed it to clear the gear cover and trimmed the wing a little so it rests properly on the mounts. Fits like a glove now!

Looking forward to seeing your B5m out there tearing it up!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Drive it before you limit droop. Limit it too much (like a B4 would be) and it will be very hard to drive and snap traction roll suddenly. Hoping to stop by tomorrow, dunno if I will drive or not, but we can compare cars a the very least, my poor little 17.5 would have no chance of keeping up with that beast of a motor.

What springs, pistons & oil are you running? My starting point (indoor clay) front-black, #2, 32.5 rear-green, #2, 30 Ride height level arms rear and matching front. Still need to buy a ride height measure thingy to give numbers, still an eyeball engineer for now.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Joey, right now it's got black front and green rear springs, and I don't know about the pistons or oil weight. I bought some 30 wt oil since I need to tear the shocks down, so I'll probably run that front and rear initially and check out what pistons it's got while I'm at it.
The reason I wanted to limit the shocks is on the front, the B4 shocks have so much travel that the springs come off the perches (by like .1" or so) at full droop, so I'm worried they may not always seat back correctly after getting air. On the rear, I wanted to limit them a little to keep the B2 universals from rubbing on the arms, which they do now at full droop.
Anyway, I didn't have a chance to do any of that last night since we had to take my son to the ER, so I'll be driving it tonight as-is.
Hope you can make it out tonight, I'll be there by 8 and probably stay till 11 or 1130.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Nice to meet you last night, get that trans working right so we can turn some laps together. After seeing the car, yep, a limiter in all 4 shocks isnt going to hurt it at all. I'll glue up my fronts so they dont depart from the car mid track and try to make it out again.

--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Hey Joey, nice to meet you too. Yeah, I'll tear the back of the car apart and get things sorted out. Should have her up and running by next Thursday no problem, along with the b44, after I swap out the "2-piece" shock shaft for a "1-piece" one :lol:
Man, you're fast with that gold pan, especially considering it's running a 17.5 :shock:

For anyone that's courious, I ate it with my gold pan off the first big double and apparently the motor plate got tweaked just enough that the b4 slipper started rubbing on it. I believe I just need to straighten it out. Part of the problem may be that it's a 6-gear motor plate with a stealth trans, so its missing a screw between the plate and trans. I think that allowed it to bend a little easier than it should have. I'll drill and tap the extra hole when I have it apart to support things better. :P

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

17.5 is only as fast as keeping up the momentum, I may have a spare 13.5 to drop in there, just to test myself. Your car looks great, will try to get out there next week, little league permitting.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Norman
Approved Member

Post by Norman »

Oh this is going to make me want to build another one. Or at least get the worlds kit lol.
Hi. :)

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I'll start bringing out an army of vintage cars (I have 3 almost 4 runners now)...come back to the dark side.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com