Saying hi with an XX-4 restore!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Saying hi with an XX-4 restore!

Post by UserUnrelated »

Well, I have always wanted to get myself an XX-4, it is just such an iconic buggy in my eyes, and I love "being different", so it's unique design has always attracted my attention.
Recently, I was at a flea market, and stumbled across an older gentleman with 2 RC cars. One was an XX-T, and the other was an XX-4. I would have loved to get both, but I did not have the money on me at the time, and my mother (just out of college, still living at home) is never too happy when I bring home more RC cars!
So I snagged his XX-4, eager to tear into it, and make it like new! I have always wanted one of these, so you should have seen my face light up when I saw it sitting there.

Well... restore over, I guess
this is how I bought it
That was easy.
$100. :shock:

This buggy is truly beautiful, I feel very lucky to have found one in such condition, and gotten such a good deal on it!
This is my first shelf queen. I have a semi-shelf queen Tamiya F-201, but I drive that occasionally, because I got it in pretty heavily used condition to begin with.
I just can't bring myself to even try and test it, it's just too perfect! It looks like it was driven MAYBE once.
The only thing that could convince me to drive this is if they started up a bring-what-u-got "vintage" class that I could run it in... but I don't think that'd ever happen. I'd get to run it against a 4wd converted RC10 that one of the regulars sometimes brings around!

I really wish that I had the money to also buy the XX-T (It was in the same condition), that would have made a GREAT addition to my collection, right next to my 10T runner :D

So I guess, just showin' off, making people drool :lol:

zuki250
Approved Member

Re: Saying hi with an XX-4 restore!

Post by zuki250 »

What flea market did you get it at? Amherst...I am jealous as i have been looking for one to race at the Vonats this year....Now if you want to drool i may have to invite you over, as you aren't to far from me and let you pick through my stuff ;) Great find!!!

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

It was at the MIT Swap-fest in Charlestown! Don't you wish you knew about that, now? haha
It's a flea market, but without most of the useless garbage. It's all old technology, new technology, computer stuff, and general industrial surplus.
old video games, oscilloscopes, ancient pieces of iconic technology (I got a brand new Apple Newton for $10 last month), vacuum tubes, electrical components, random old tools, hardware (I also got 3 pounds of brand new 10-32 stainless steel cap head hex bolts/nuts for $10 along with the buggy)... it's a fantastic place to be!
2nd sunday of every month, some random parking garage in Charlestown.

and vintage RC always makes me drool, and picking through other people's stuff is a past time of mine :lol:

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Nice xx4 score.. love those.. I regret not picking one up a couple months ago.. that swap meet sounds awesome.. I love tech stuff.. sounds like a lot of fun.. good luck on the resto and keep us posted on the rebuild..

Shawn

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

hondaman wrote:... good luck on the resto and keep us posted on the rebuild..
it's pretty much as restored as I think I could possibly get it :lol: (besides buying a new front skid plate... it has all of TWO scratches on it)
The "restore" in the title was sort of a joke... The only thing I forsee is maybe painting up another budy if I ever come across a cheap-ish unpainted one.

And the vintage offroad nats sure do look like fun! I'd never heard of them before.
I might have to look more into those, that might persuade me to run this thing... maybe.
Either way, I'm definitely going to try real hard to make it down there with my 10T, I've always wanted to run a vintage race.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Hahahahaha.. you got me.. went back and actually read the post.. I saw pictures and got all giddy.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: I love pictures.. haha now I really hate you!!! :twisted: great find.. you can pick up a reproduction shell on ebay if you want to do another body.. tbg is making them but not as cheap in price as they used to be priced.. but they have them.. original decals are hard to find at a reasonable price though.. the VONATS are allowing the xx4 to compete now.. if I was on the left coast I would love to go myself.. great car and your "resto" was amazing!! :lol: :P

Shawn

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Wow you did very well at $100. Great car and a blast to drive. there are some good threads on builds and tips from some good racers.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Hi User Unrelated!
It's good to see you back. Nice find.
You should definitely come to the VONATs, and bring your 10T. I've been there once, and wasn't happy about not making it last year. It should be great this year.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

85Edinger wrote:Hi User Unrelated!
It's good to see you back. Nice find.
You should definitely come to the VONATs, and bring your 10T. I've been there once, and wasn't happy about not making it last year. It should be great this year.
It's nice to be back! I missed this place... but at the same time, looking at everyone's shiny rides just makes me want to spend more money!... Maybe it won't be that bad now that I have a shiny ride of my own.
I'm gunnin' for the Vonats, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to go. I'll be bringing a bunch of stuff if I end up going :)
This might also give me a good excuse to finally get a personal transponder. I've spent over $100 renting them at my local track over the past 2 years, but can't seem to bring myself to spend that much all at once on a little bit of plastic and PCB.

zuki250
Approved Member

Post by zuki250 »

Sweet i can bump you off the track when i pass you :twisted:

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

If you are going to try and run it, find some belts. The rear likes to disintegrate just sitting around. The middle isn't too bad, front is usually ok.

I love my XX4s, Street Weapons and Rally Weapons, all around great cars.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

knixdad wrote:If you are going to try and run it, find some belts. The rear likes to disintegrate just sitting around. The middle isn't too bad, front is usually ok.

My own XX4 resto project just gained replacement belts from Tough Racing....

Now that I have new belts and gears, I'm just about ready to start rebuilding! Would love to find a new belt top cover (or, one in a single piece...), but that can wait.

Alex
Attachments
Belts.JPG
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

knixdad wrote:If you are going to try and run it, find some belts. The rear likes to disintegrate just sitting around. The middle isn't too bad, front is usually ok.

My own XX4 resto project just gained replacement belts from Tough Racing....
Belts.JPG
Now that I have new belts and gears, I'm just about ready to start rebuilding! Would love to find a new belt top cover (or, one in a single piece...), but that can wait.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!